Thinking about buying a 120/140, tips, advice?

I just bought a 140 about 3 months ago and love it. If you can hanger it go for a rag wing and forget the metal wings. They fly better not only because they're lighter, but there's one metallized STC (can't recall which one) that places the metal overlap on a critical spot on the wing and slows it down. I have a cruise prop and can outrun a 150 cruising all day at 110-112mph with the stock C-85. I only had 30 t/w hours and no time in type and got insurance for a slight bit above $600, so its cheap to obtain.

The Cessna 120/140 club forum is a must for any owner. Wealth of knowledge everywhere there.

Stay away from the 150 t/w conversions unless its a David Lowe STC conversion. He essentially makes a 150 into a 140, using their gear legs which is tall enough, unlike the other conversions.

ju2e3ahe.jpg

Thank you for the info, that's a really good looking 140! Any more photos?

I think I'll aim for the fabric wings, but at first I may not be able to afford to hangar it (they run around $400+/month for a T around here). If I keep it outdoors long term I'll get full covers for it.

I only have 10hrs tailwheel, but commercial and instrument, a quick check showed $1400/yr with hull coverage through AOPA, about $1000 of that being the hull coverage..

I'd second the idea of talking with an insurance agent before you purchase. It gets more and more difficult to buy insurance on a taildragger as time goes along.

I'd second the idea of talking with an insurance agent before you purchase. It gets more and more difficult to buy insurance on a taildragger as time goes along.

Yep, I'll get a real quote rather than doing online ones soon. It's quite a bit more than a tricycle equivalent, but not outrageous, and worth it in my opinion.

So what is the difference between a 120 and a 140?

I did my tail wheel sign off in the 140 and I loved it. I am really excited about commuting to work in one!

I just bought a 140 about 3 months ago and love it. If you can hanger it go for a rag wing and forget the metal wings. They fly better not only because they're lighter, but there's one metallized STC (can't recall which one) that places the metal overlap on a critical spot on the wing and slows it down. I have a cruise prop and can outrun a 150 cruising all day at 110-112mph with the stock C-85. I only had 30 t/w hours and no time in type and got insurance for a slight bit above $600, so its cheap to obtain.

The Cessna 120/140 club forum is a must for any owner. Wealth of knowledge everywhere there.

Stay away from the 150 t/w conversions unless its a David Lowe STC conversion. He essentially makes a 150 into a 140, using their gear legs which is tall enough, unlike the other conversions.

Who is your insurance through, and is that just liability(I assume)?

So what is the difference between a 120 and a 140?

I did my tail wheel sign off in the 140 and I loved it. I am really excited about commuting to work in one!

The 120 was the economy version, it didn't come with flaps, and the rear D-windows and electrical system were an option.

I don't know if flaps can be added, the 120s I've seen for sale don't mention having them.

Who is your insurance through, and is that just liability(I assume)?

I went through a broker, James Gardner Company out of Atlanta. I looked again and I was wrong, mine was just over $700, with hull coverage also in that. For liability only, it was less than $200.

ju2e3ahe.jpg
What do you think of the Texas Taildragger 150? That was my first tailwheel experience and I didn't think it was too squirrelly. Maybe the grass strip hid some bad manners.

Okay so I've found one I'm interested in that's near Paso Robles, CA.. Anyone know of a good IA around there to have a prebuy done? The only possible issue is that the plane has been flown 0 hours since it's last Annual in 2012, it's always been hangared and has been taxi'd and run up occasionally during this time.

Okay so I've found one I'm interested in that's near Paso Robles, CA.. Anyone know of a good IA around there to have a prebuy done? The only possible issue is that the plane has been flown 0 hours since it's last Annual in 2012, it's always been hangared and has been taxi'd and run up occasionally during this time.

I bought a plane that was based at Paso Robles and I can give you the name of a local IA you should definitely NOT use there, totally incompetent. PM me if you want.

Back