Things to know before you buy!

i-do-not-think-it-means-what-you-think-it-means.jpg

You pay tax on the aircraft where it is based, not the first point of landing. Given your scenario let's say you land at BFI which is in the democratic people's republic of lets tax frack out of the rich King country (ironically named isn't it?). But you hagar the airplane at Tacoma Narrows in Pierce County WA. Given your scenario you would be double taxed and have to pay tax to both counties. Which I believe is illegal. There is even a Supreme Court ruling on this.

https://www.pscpa.com/supreme-court-strikes-double-tax-structure/
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/05/18/supreme-court-double-taxation/22066863/

I'm dealing with the same thing in Oregon who wants to tax my income because I fly out of PDX regularly. Tax time next year is going to be interesting.
The articles are about income tax and not a sales/use tax. Also, on Washington States website they say the paid portion of the sales tax in another state will be used as a credit against the Washington use tax.

I am going off of what aircraft brokers have told me they do for clients in the state. They will land at a lower taxed area and use the fuel and parking fee as the location the aircraft first arrived in the state and it has been accepted by the department of revenue.

I am going off of what aircraft brokers have told me they do for clients in the state. They will land at a lower taxed area and use the fuel and parking fee as the location the aircraft first arrived in the state and it has been accepted by the department of revenue.

Sign....aircraft brokers are about the most useless people in aviation. A good tax attorney or CPA will get that thrown out.

Sign....aircraft brokers are about the most useless people in aviation. A good tax attorney or CPA will get that thrown out.
Why? People do it all the time. Pay for parking for 91 days somewhere else and that counts over the 90 days within the state.

Why? People do it all the time. Pay for parking for 91 days somewhere else and that counts over the 90 days within the state.

Sure 90 days is written into the law as the time required to intend to take up residence. I think the state requires you to be here 90 days before registering for somethings.

But you said the first place you land even if only getting gas. That's just ridiculous. However if you were talking specifically about King County I would totally believe it. Wouldn't agree that it's legal but king county management is certifiably insane at every level. The stupid is strong in Seattle proper.

Since we're on the topic. During an inspection (pre-buy or otherwise), is there any way to evaluate the health of the vacuum pump/system? Is there a way to tell that it's healthy or that a failure is imminent?
One thing you could do is look through the logbooks of when it was replaced and compare that to the average lifespan of the pump. I had my A/I go out on a Tuesday. Directional Gyro go out the next week. Then the pump went out two weeks later. They usually give you credit for the core of the old instrument but since my old one was 17 years old, they hit me with the $750 fee to replace it. I don't pay for lavor on minor fix it items because I have an A&P that works with me.

Some pumps have an inspection port and a procedure to measure vane wear. The best thing to do is to see how many hours are on the pump. After tracking quite a few pumps I found that in our aircraft in our operation anything past about 900 hours was borrowed time. Other installations and operational profiles might be different. Another good indicator is whether the logbooks record the 100 hour relief valve filter and 500 hour inlet filter being kept up on. Finally you can see during a ground run up some of the health of the system by noting what RPM it takes to get vacuum pressure into the green arc. If it's much more that 1000 on most systems, your vacuum system is on borrowed time.
In southern california, since the weather is always VFR, you can just wait till the pump fails. You rarely ever fly IFR in a 152 lol.

In southern california, since the weather is always VFR, you can just wait till the pump fails. You rarely ever fly IFR in a 152 lol.

I haven't done any flying on the west coast, but I'd really, really like to. What's the deal with the Marine Layer(tm)? I've heard that it can totally screw VFR operations.

The best advice I can give is get a very thorough pre-buy. Hell, you might as well make the pre-buy an annual.

Spark plugs are a wear and and tear item. Replacing them shouldn't be a surprise just another line item on the consumable budget.

As an aside, it's also possible they didn't really need to be replaced, I've seen lots of spark plugs and other wear items replaced that met every relevant minimum spec but the mechanic "didn't like" them or didn't understand how to apply the manufacturers inspection criteria. And don't get me started on the waste of time and money that is spark plug resistance checks...
You know what's amazing? Iridium plugs. And they're $8 each.

Anybody know of a good reference to gauge the value of a used plane? I'm sure it's not as easy as KBB or Edmunds but just wondering if anything exists.

If it's a dry vacuum pump failure is imminent.

This is true when they're in the box at the factory. Wet pumps for the win...asked my IA about mine this year and he said it has another 1,500 hours before he'd blink an eye at it.

But back to the topic...if you are going to dabble in airplanes, you need to get juiced in. You need an A&P that works for you and your interests. You need to join the type club or at least educate yourself on the big deal killers.

It's not hard, but you need to DYODD....

This is true when they're in the box at the factory. Wet pumps for the win...asked my IA about mine this year and he said it has another 1,500 hours before he'd blink an eye at it.

But back to the topic...if you are going to dabble in airplanes, you need to get juiced in. You need an A&P that works for you and your interests. You need to join the type club or at least educate yourself on the big deal killers.

It's not hard, but you need to DYODD....

Well, I am an A&P who works for me ;)

Well, I am an A&P who works for me ;)

Problem solved, but then you know what I'm talking about. Lots of chariots out there with deal killers that the unwary miss:

Cherokees without the SB1006 done
Cardinals with carry through spar issues
Beeches of all kinds with control surface patches
Superior & ECI cylinder ADs

Pre-buys should look at the seller, not just the airplane. Decent guy who flys reasonably frequently, chances are the ride is ok.

Uncle Bob or "a guy I know" probably requires a fairly close look. Looked at a Cardinal from one of these guys. Advertised as "NDH". Looked up a part number from a logbook entry and it traced back to the whole leading edge of the R wing.

Back