The Wonderful Midwest

IrishSheepdog

Sitting in the median
So here I sit in Lexington, KY in our Operations office waiting for an airplane to arrive so we can get out of here. Have a full 6-leg day ahead (unless they drop some turns) and MDW is a MESS. They issued a Red Alert for WX (whatever that means), and the last flight that left LEX here just diverted to IND. Check it out...

KMDW 041731Z 041818 05016G25KT 1 1/2SM -SN OVC012
TEMPO 1822 1/2SM SN OVC005
FM2200 02017G25KT 2SM -SN OVC015
TEMPO 2202 1SM -SN OVC008
FM0200 36015G25KT 3SM -SHSN OVC015
TEMPO 0205 1 1/2SM -SHSN OVC012
FM0500 34015KT P6SM OVC020
FM1200 33015KT P6SM OVC020=

KMDW 041853Z 05019G22KT 1/4SM SN FZFG BKN005 OVC010 M01/M02 A2993 RMK AO2 PRESFR SLP146 R31C/2400FT SNINCR 1/2 P0000 T10111022

Lovely job ain't it?
smile.gif

We're expected to get 9 inches of snow by morning here in Kalamazoo, 12" up by Flint.

Good luck.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

At least you're flying (or waiting to fly)....kind of hard to build that time to get where you are when you've notted 0.4 in the last week! But, have fun in the snow and dont send it this way.

Man, I miss the Midwest! Though it was actually cold here in Fresno last night. We even had . . . GASP . . . FROST this morning! Even at 0900 I had to pull the Seminole around back and hose off the frost before my morning flight. At least that makes it feel a bit more like home.

Hope your day isn't too unbearable, Matt. If it gets really rough for you, I'll volunteer to finish your routes!
grin.gif

I took the 152 out today for a little break. LFT looked pretty good...Little windy earlier (was at about 15 kts) but it died. Nice change from rain...
KLFT 042053Z 19011KT 10SM SCT022 BKN029 OVC035 24/19 A2994 RMK AO2 SLP139 T02390189 56012. The midwest is causing a big stur on like the weather channel though...reporting "live" from Chicago and it looked pretty nasty.

I'm on the weirdos that loves to fly in inclement weather. Maybe I've got a little Skyway Airlines/KMKE left in me!
smile.gif

I'm excited to get going and fly, it's the sitting around that's getting to me! Looks like we should leave here in a few minutes. I just know I'm not leaving Ops again... just went out front and like 10 pax come running up asking about the flight! "Did 3793 leave yet?" Me: "Hope not, because I'm supposed to be flying it!"
smile.gif

If I sit for more than an hour, I set into "Lazy Doug Mode" and I need at least a Venti Coffee o'the day to get me back into "Flight Mode".

Hey Chicaga, notice how you can't smell Jet A or deicing fluid after your first few months online?

[ QUOTE ]
R31C/2400FT SNINCR 1/2 P0000 T10111022

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the P0000 stand for, I've seen it quite a bit but can't find it decoded anywhere.

PXXXX means the amount of precipitation in the last hour (Im not sure about the measurement scale - I think its hundredths of an inch).

P0000 signifies a trace of precip in the last hour.

Flychicaga I love the midwest and the weather here. I have actually grown acustom to having all 4 seasons.

Unlike AZ. where we only have 2 seasons HOT & DRY
tongue.gif

So not lookin forward to moving back home.

But thinking DFW after finish up at Pan Am.

Matthew

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Chicaga, notice how you can't smell Jet A or deicing fluid after your first few months online?

[/ QUOTE ]

I notice it for a second, then it immediately disappears. When deicing starts it's like "oh, Type I" then 2 seconds later it's gone! For some reason the cockpit stench always stays though... hehe
smile.gif

Ahh
With WX like that and what is forcast ( cold front ), for this area I'm glad I'll be heading to the islands on Tues. 4 days in Paradise ... sailing, snorkeling, and drinking de rum.

Just got back myself. Flew from KMIC to KMKT (Minneapolis-Crystal to Mankato). FLight down was fine. We took the courtesy car in for lunch came back 45 mins and the @%#%^ Archer would not start. GPU, no help. Had to pull in th hangar, preheat, then GPU again and finally got started. Our day trip turned out to be a night fligth back. Light snow and a few clouds. Otherwise a smooth night.

[ QUOTE ]
notice how you can't smell Jet A or deicing fluid after your first few months online?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing like your husband grabbing you for a hug when he gets home from a trip and his coat smells like airplane, jet A, and Starbucks.

Mmmm, smells like airplane............
tongue.gif

fly4free,

I might be heading somewhere in MN tomorrow. I have a few hours to burn and would like to visit somewhere new. Any suggestions? Btw, I am flying from GFK.

[ QUOTE ]
notice how you can't smell Jet A or deicing fluid after your first few months online?

[/ QUOTE ][ QUOTE ]
There's nothing like your husband grabbing you for a hug when he gets home from a trip and his coat smells like airplane, jet A, and Starbucks.

Mmmm, smells like airplane............

[/ QUOTE ] I dunno... i think it's even better when they come home really late at night and even after taking off the coat, epplets and getting into bed, you can seriously smell the jet fuel/deicing fluid meshed together with body sweat and then you ask them to shower and he says "i don't smell anything - your full of it"... all i ask is for clean non-deicing fluid smelly man when he gets home! hahaha

i think winter time is much worse for that because of the combination of jet fuel & deicing fluid... not a good combination if your used to breathing "air" when your trying to sleep... hahaha
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
...and getting into bed, you can seriously smell the jet fuel/deicing fluid meshed together with body sweat and ...

[/ QUOTE ]

WAY too much information
blush.gif

Ethan

Back