The Ultimate Duel: Rolls Royce RB-211 vs Pratt & Whitney PW2000 on Boeing 757!!!

justinisapilot

Watch and discuss.
My vote goes for the pw 757. The rr 757 sounds good too. I really can't decide now that i think about it. Watch and discuss.

Rolls is a nice sounding motor, no doubt. Little quirky from a pilot's standpoint, though.

Having extensive experience with both motors on 757s, I like the Pratts better overall, mostly because of the much better performance in reverse. The Rolls in reverse just makes noise, the Pratts actually decelerate you. The Rolls starts much, much quicker (starter on N3), but they burn more oil. Our Pratts are 2040s vs. 2037s on most pax 757s. We only take Rolls to high elevation airports in Central and South America.

But really seriously... WacoFan does not approve.

Debating over which high-bypass turbofan sounds better is like debating Obama vs. Romney...lose/lose situation.

Now you wanna talk about music to a man's ears, talk about an R985 mounted to a Beaver on amphib floats starting up on a snowy winter morning in Alaska...

Having extensive experience with both motors on 757s, I like the Pratts better overall, mostly because of the much better performance in reverse. The Rolls in reverse just makes noise, the Pratts actually decelerate you. The Rolls starts much, much quicker (starter on N3), but they burn more oil. Our Pratts are 2040s vs. 2037s on most pax 757s. We only take Rolls to high elevation airports in Central and South America.
Actually enjoyed that brief little debate.

Not sure which engine is which in the video but does it sound like the second engine runs at a lower RPM than the first? Is this because it may have a little higher bypass ratio? If so, would the TBO be extended a little more on the second than the first? Ahh hell, just making a little conversation. Love systems..

Or perhaps my whole point is moot because the pilot just chose a lower power setting

But really seriously... WacoFan does not approve.

Debating over which high-bypass turbofan sounds better is like debating Obama vs. Romney...lose/lose situation.

Now you wanna talk about music to a man's ears, talk about an R985 mounted to a Beaver on amphib floats starting up on a snowy winter morning in Alaska...

I seriously need someone to photoshop something into a picture - like those McKayla's not impressed pictures. That would be appropriate for this thread.

Seriously, I'm at a loss here.

How about I get this POS thread back on track?

I present a radial engined Cub:
c59dfff0-119d-11e2-8d3f-60fb42fffef.jpg

Back