The Ultimate Duel: Rolls Royce RB-211 vs Pratt & Whitney PW2000 on Boeing 757!!!

That thing is so slow it hangs with a J-3 in cruising speed..........:cry:
When the Brasilia taxied up the other day, one of the passengers went, "Is that our airplane? Are you freaking serious???!!?" I just can't imagine what the reaction to someone buying an American ticket and then walking out to a Shorts would be like if folks occasionally have...confidence problems getting into the Bro.

RB211 with its baritone sounding startup is by far one of the nicest sounding turbofans out there. Classic of the L-1011.

Then again, when it comes to jets, a straight-turbojet is where it's at. Ill take a J60 or J75 engine any day. Saberliner with a J60/JT-12 motor is sound to behold; and a hard-light afterburner of a J75 equipped F-105 or F-106 is another one to have heard in one's life.

Actually, the 'music' argument is won, hands down, by the Rolls Royce Merlin.

If someone told me you have one more flight and you're done flying forever, but you can fly anything you want, it would be a P-51.

I didn't intend on watching that whole video. After each pass I moved my cursor up to close it, but then the next pass started and as soon as I started hearing the plane again I couldn't close it. Amazing airplane.

The Mustang is awesome, but there's really no comparison in my book

Yep, there is no comparison. The Corsair, while beautiful, sounds like dozens of other radial-powered fighters.

A Rolls Merlin is a unique sound of beauty, and after all -- this the The Voice and not X Factor.

If someone told me you have one more flight and you're done flying forever, but you can fly anything you want, it would be a P-51.

Honestly, I don't find the Mustang really all that notable in terms of how it flies.

But how it looks....and sounds....and smells....is absolutely magnificent.

You know - Hacker is correct about tone. One of the things I loved about the Thunder Mustang was the sound of the Falconer V-12.

RB211 with its baritone sounding startup is by far one of the nicest sounding turbofans out there. Classic of the L-1011.

Then again, when it comes to jets, a straight-turbojet is where it's at. Ill take a J60 or J75 engine any day. Saberliner with a J60/JT-12 motor is sound to behold; and a hard-light afterburner of a J57 equipped F-105 or F-106 is another one to have heard in one's life.

Last spring, I was at EFD when Collings Foundation started flying their F-100. The first time they did a touch and go, I nearly had to clean my pants out after the thing went into afterburner. Holy crap its loud.

Back