The longest you've delayed a rev flight?

Burrito

You ARE Freaking out. Man.
Let's hear some stories! What's the longest your dispatch manager's stared over your shoulder as the hours pile up? My current company's record, only which I personally have seen and dealt with, was 10 hours and change. I know we've hit 12, but not involving my station. Ours was just stupid planning. EPR inop, plane comes to a station with a chance of snow in the forecast, plane swaps out, crew times out, new crew can't show for a few hours, takeoff limited, tech stop would still kick off 40 customers, ...the list goes on. Flight still went some time ... Today at this point ... But she wasn't my responsibility by then.

Any fun stories? We didn't have AOG on board to my knowledge either, so. ... No clue. Shrug.

Well let’s be honest. The Dispatcher doesn’t delay the flight. The company does.
Yeah, @ G7, the sups and DMs made that call, not us DXers. Even if a pilot wanted to leave early, if it was more than 10 minutes, we had to get the blessing of a sup.

An out-and-back to RDU on an RJ was delayed overnight for mx. 24 hours after scheduled departure and the regional still has no in-service aircraft available to operate it. Mainline's regional coordinator gets another regional to cover the turn. The turn operates over 24 hours late with 0 passengers on either leg. But at least they completed the flight!.... :biggrin:

An out-and-back to RDU on an RJ was delayed overnight for mx. 24 hours after scheduled departure and the regional still has no in-service aircraft available to operate it. Mainline's regional coordinator gets another regional to cover the turn. The turn operates over 24 hours late with 0 passengers on either leg. But at least they completed the flight!.... :biggrin:
Lol! Seriously? That's kind of a waste of fuel is it not?
But at least the pilots and flight attendants got a trip out of the deal, I guess.

There have been many, but the first to come to mind was about a 40 minute delay due to a new Captain joining the crew mid-trip, and wanted to do a proper crew brief prior to boarding and departure.

Another flight to KJAC comes to mind, due to weather, but I can't remember how long the delay was. As I recall, the weather was legal, but they weren't going to get in, so I saw no point in releasing the flight. We eventually cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dispatcher tried holding flights at their gates to reduce workload.

Narrative: 1

I worked with a XA00Z start time. At XC30Z I identified a workload safety issue, where I would have 20-22 flights out at the same time. This is an excessive number of flights to be flight following while also having 4-5 more flight plans to release in the next hour. As the Dispatcher I took steps to maintain the safety of the flights under my operational control and I notified the IOC Director, Sector Manager, and Chief Dispatcher of this workload issue. I spoke with 3 Captains on the phone and instructed them to remain at the gate until released for departure due to the pending workload issue. At XD10Z, another Dispatcher offered to take some of my flights. I sent him a total of 4 flights, 3 of which I was holding on the ground due to workload issues.

At approximately, XD30Z the IOC Director on Duty, came to my desk to intimidate me about doing the high workload in the future. He stated that it was a VFR day and that no one else ever complains about the workload on this desk. He also stated that he cannot be moving flights off this Desk every day. He then proceeded to ask me if I needed "additional training." I believe this visit occurred to intimidate me to do the high workload in the future and to not ask for help. I believe [my company] is in violation of CFR 121.395 at this time and immediate action is needed by the FAA and company Management to prevent an aircraft incident or accident. Reduce the number of flights on the Dispatch Desks.

Synopsis

Air Carrier Dispatcher identified a workload safety issue, where he would have 20-22 flights out at the same time while also having 4-5 more flight plans to release in the next hour. He elected to hold flights on the ground and was admonished by a supervisor.

Last edited:

Wouldn't it technically be a nonrev flight as there were no pax onboard? Even though it helped keep CF at peak it was a loss for the company.

Wouldn't it technically be a nonrev flight as there were no pax onboard? Even though it helped keep CF at peak it was a loss for the company.
It's considered revenue to the carrier cuz tickets are available for purchase. Oh and it's definitely revenue for the regional carrier even when empty.

It's considered revenue to the carrier cuz tickets are available for purchase. Oh and it's definitely revenue for the regional carrier even when empty.
Depends,some CPA's require there to be at least one revenue passenger on board for the regional carrier to get paid. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh yea, its a rev flight if its completed even if no pax are onboard. Although other flights such as ferry flights (pinnacle dual eng flameout+core lock) do not count towards rev or CF counts.

Dispatcher tried holding flights at their gates to reduce workload.

Narrative: 1

I worked with a XA00Z start time. At XC30Z I identified a workload safety issue, where I would have 20-22 flights out at the same time. This is an excessive number of flights to be flight following while also having 4-5 more flight plans to release in the next hour. As the Dispatcher I took steps to maintain the safety of the flights under my operational control and I notified the IOC Director, Sector Manager, and Chief Dispatcher of this workload issue. I spoke with 3 Captains on the phone and instructed them to remain at the gate until released for departure due to the pending workload issue. At XD10Z, another Dispatcher offered to take some of my flights. I sent him a total of 4 flights, 3 of which I was holding on the ground due to workload issues.

At approximately, XD30Z the IOC Director on Duty, came to my desk to intimidate me about doing the high workload in the future. He stated that it was a VFR day and that no one else ever complains about the workload on this desk. He also stated that he cannot be moving flights off this Desk every day. He then proceeded to ask me if I needed "additional training." I believe this visit occurred to intimidate me to do the high workload in the future and to not ask for help. I believe [my company] is in violation of CFR 121.395 at this time and immediate action is needed by the FAA and company Management to prevent an aircraft incident or accident. Reduce the number of flights on the Dispatch Desks.

Synopsis

Air Carrier Dispatcher identified a workload safety issue, where he would have 20-22 flights out at the same time while also having 4-5 more flight plans to release in the next hour. He elected to hold flights on the ground and was admonished by a supervisor.
Trollin

Let's hear some stories! What's the longest your dispatch manager's stared over your shoulder as the hours pile up? My current company's record, only which I personally have seen and dealt with, was 10 hours and change. I know we've hit 12, but not involving my station. Ours was just stupid planning. EPR inop, plane comes to a station with a chance of snow in the forecast, plane swaps out, crew times out, new crew can't show for a few hours, takeoff limited, tech stop would still kick off 40 customers, ...the list goes on. Flight still went some time ... Today at this point ... But she wasn't my responsibility by then.

Any fun stories? We didn't have AOG on board to my knowledge either, so. ... No clue. Shrug.

6 hours due to weather it was a flight from Alabama ( I think Forgot city name) to Charlotte...I remember that day because I just put in my 2 weeks notice on that bad weather day :) .
(In the end they cancelled that flight and repo it to Detroit.)

Last edited:
Back