The light at the end of the tunnel is a train

Eagle is not the worst... Though its not a career destination (my regional isn't either). This is/was common even prior to the 1500 hr rule.

I'm really not sure what the problem is with this. Almost all regionals have this sort of deal with aviation universities, and have for years. It's actually a pretty good deal as Eagle can keep tabs on these guys as they instruct and do some due diligence before actually hiring them into a class at the end of it. 1000+ hours of being a CFI is going to make for mostly good new hire FOs. Sure, maybe 500 hours CFI and 500 hours 135 freight or something like that would provide more experience, but this ain't to bad.

I just thought this ATP rule would allow people to build some self respect while going from 250 to 1500. But it looks like AEA will get them to sign before any of that happens.

I get what you're saying about signing into a contract too early (if that is what you're getting at), definitely not something to sign into unless you are well informed, but I'm failing to see how/why this is detrimental to the industry, or really how this is anything new.

I'm really not sure what the problem is with this. Almost all regionals have this sort of deal with aviation universities, and have for years. It's actually a pretty good deal as Eagle can keep tabs on these guys as they instruct and do some due diligence before actually hiring them into a class at the end of it. 1000+ hours of being a CFI is going to make for mostly good new hire FOs. Sure, maybe 500 hours CFI and 500 hours 135 freight or something like that would provide more experience, but this ain't to bad.

+1

Plus to add to what you said, the instructors in this program get Health and Flight benefits from Eagle/AMR while instructing, so really it looks like a great deal to me compared to other programs out there.

I was thinking this whole 1500 hour requirement would help pilots. Nope. Looks like these poor students who now owe $100,000 in loans will now get gracefully guided to one of the worst regional jobs out there.

http://m.kltv.com/#!/newsDetail/23810071

I don't see the problem here.

Students are not on the hook for ANYTHING until after they graduate. They will get employee benefits while building time as a flight instructor. They will be "gracefully guided to one of the better regionals out there"

All this does is formalize the way things have been done for years.

I think this is a great deal, personally and I wish I had something like it when I was CFIing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how you get your thread topic out of that article, but whatever dude.
The first issue is that these universities typically have the lowest paying CFI job out there. Now these students will be less likely to investigate other options. Second, (which I have no idea what the solution is going to be) this "Teach to get 1500 hours" thing will turn in to a ponzi scheme. One CFI will need 5 students to get 1500, and each of those 5 will need to do the same, and so on. The only thing I can think of would be for the airlines to get approval for ab intro. Third, a two year commitment, and you get $10,000? That doesnt make sense. I was under the impression that a signed commitment was a method to keep you from getting a free type rating. It just seems like the 10K is another loan these already-in-too-much-dept people will have agree to. And lastly, I hope all you experienced pilots out there know what a "guaranteed interview" really means.
All I see a growling sheep

And lastly, I hope all you experienced pilots out there know what a "guaranteed interview" really means.

This program isn't for a "guaranteed interview", its to interview candidates before they meet ATP mins so once they do, they get placed in the next new hire class.

Is this like that skywest program with I think UVU that gives you a hire date prior to even being at the airline?

Any time a "program" benefits airline management it is open to abuse.
Naturally.

The first issue is that these universities typically have the lowest paying CFI job out there. Now these students will be less likely to investigate other options. Second, (which I have no idea what the solution is going to be) this "Teach to get 1500 hours" thing will turn in to a ponzi scheme. One CFI will need 5 students to get 1500, and each of those 5 will need to do the same, and so on. The only thing I can think of would be for the airlines to get approval for ab intro. Third, a two year commitment, and you get $10,000? That doesnt make sense. I was under the impression that a signed commitment was a method to keep you from getting a free type rating. It just seems like the 10K is another loan these already-in-too-much-dept people will have agree to. And lastly, I hope all you experienced pilots out there know what a "guaranteed interview" really means.
Yes, I do indeed. It's a step below a flow-through. I'm vehemently opposed to accepting EITHER in "exchange" for "moar money NAO."

I still don't see the quantum leap.

I really like the pilot groups who have recently hand-cuffed themselves to a system of movement that is closed. (Re: PSA interviews for large jets, Pinnacle for whatever sort of movement to Delta).

Ah yes - now you get to check that happy little box on Airline Apps that says "Why Yes, I am part of this little program that is going to slow my professional movement. #AWESOME"

When will pilots realize that all of these little agreements for improved "working conditions" never really work out as advertised. Last thing I want to see at ASA/XJT or whoever we are called is some sort of preferential interview silliness when I can just as easily apply to Delta Air Lines, United, and American without the fear of being tossed back into the bottom of a stack of unworthy "until WE call YOUR lucky NUMBER!"

Back