The light at the end of the tunnel is a train

I work at the school in question, so I'll try to address your issues

The first issue is that these universities typically have the lowest paying CFI job out there. Now these students will be less likely to investigate other options.
This has some merit, but LETU pays it's full time CFI's reasonably well, and offers benefits which 90% of flight schools do not.

Second, (which I have no idea what the solution is going to be) this "Teach to get 1500 hours" thing will turn in to a ponzi scheme. One CFI will need 5 students to get 1500, and each of those 5 will need to do the same, and so on. The only thing I can think of would be for the airlines to get approval for ab intro.

Building time as a CFI is how the vast majority of pilots built their flight time. There are plenty of students who do not want to go to the airlines, and get jobs before going to the regionals. Many of our students get jobs outside of the conventional Student-CFI-Regional track.

Third, a two year commitment, and you get $10,000? That doesn't make sense. I was under the impression that a signed commitment was a method to keep you from getting a free type rating. It just seems like the 10K is another loan these already-in-too-much-dept people will have agree to.

It's not a loan, it's a signing bonus that kicks in after completion of IOE

And lastly, I hope all you experienced pilots out there know what a "guaranteed interview" really means.
All I see a growling sheep

It's not a guaranteed interview, it IS an interview. The instructors who are part of this program are technically on Eagle's payroll and have a conditional offer of a class date when they meet the R-ATP mins. Yes, this can fall through if something happens, and/or Eagle doesn't need pilots.

I work at the school in question, so I'll try to address your issues

This has some merit, but LETU pays it's full time CFI's reasonably well, and offers benefits which 90% of flight schools do not.

Building time as a CFI is how the vast majority of pilots built their flight time. There are plenty of students who do not want to go to the airlines, and get jobs before going to the regionals. Many of our students get jobs outside of the conventional Student-CFI-Regional track.

It's not a loan, it's a signing bonus that kicks in after completion of IOE

It's not a guaranteed interview, it IS an interview. The instructors who are part of this program are technically on Eagle's payroll and have a conditional offer of a class date when they meet the R-ATP mins. Yes, this can fall through if something happens, and/or Eagle doesn't need pilots.
1) Thats good to know the LETU takes care of there people. I wasnt expecting that from an aviation business :)
2) You're right, but now with the recent 1500 hour rule, becoming a CFI is almost an absolute must. Ponzi time. I have noticed a huge influx of CFI applicants over the last 2 years.
Also at my flight school, about 90% of our students want to go on to the airlines.
3) I know by definition its not a loan. But to me it is. To me it says "we'll give you 10K for you to sign up for a year longer than most other airlines require." They're giving 10K now, so that over the course of 2 years you'll be forced to make potentially less pay. A loan to me is where I get money now, but have less money overall later.
4) And for the interview, the interview is for AMERICAN AIRLINES (The fourth phase of the agreement includes a guaranteed interview with American Airlines), not American Eagle. Nice incentive, but we all know that a courtesy interview is near useless.
Overall thanks for the feedback

4) And for the interview, the interview is for AMERICAN AIRLINES (The fourth phase of the agreement includes a guaranteed interview with American Airlines), not American Eagle. Nice incentive, but we all know that a courtesy interview is near useless.
The guaranteed interview at AA applies to all Eagle pilots, not just the small number who go through the pipeline program.

To me I see no value in a guaranteed interview. It just seems more time effective to interview the people they really want to hire

I don't see the problem here.

Students are not on the hook for ANYTHING until after they graduate. They will get employee benefits while building time as a flight instructor. They will be "gracefully guided to one of the better regionals out there"

All this does is formalize the way things have been done for years.
I am so thankful to see pilots being reached out to and given some level of care while they are in their formative hours. I am glad to see that the airlines are tending the proverbial garden where new pilots grow. Sorry if that was a little corny.

You guys know the joke: the company and the union got together and put together a new TA for the pilot group to vote on. The union got up during a road show and said, "Hey guys, we've got a great new TA for you. Everybody will make a half million dollars a year, and we only have to work on Thursdays."

One of the line pilots yelled from the back: "EVERY bloody Thursday!? This is complete BS!"

There are at least 3 regionals doing this with students here with more in the works probably. There are a lot of strings attached though. :(

You guys know the joke: the company and the union got together and put together a new TA for the pilot group to vote on. The union got up during a road show and said, "Hey guys, we've got a great new TA for you. Everybody will make a half million dollars a year, and we only have to work on Thursdays."

One of the line pilots yelled from the back: "EVERY bloody Thursday!? This is complete BS!"
...you guys got a TA?

:D

Back