The Highest you've had a Skyhawk!

JayAre

The Highest you\'ve had a Skyhawk!

Ok Just curious how high have you had a superchicken(skyhawk)? I hit 16000 feet twice on saturday because of thermals, and yes I was legal with oxygen.

Re: The Highest you\'ve had a Skyhawk!

16,000?!?!?!
blush.gif

I'm ashamed to say.......Does 6000 even count????
crazy.gif

I have slogged one up to 9,500 - what was your climb rate going through 15,000? What was your time to altitude?

16,000 holy @#*# I had one almost that high if I get to equate density alttitude into the equation. I had a 152 up to 13,000 once does that count?

10,500 flying from ABQ to PRC.

Scary flight actually, passed up a good chance to stop for gas in INW, miscomputed winds and fuel and had an extraordinarily nervous approach and landing in PRC.

I spent a few days waiting for my flight training manager to call me about a fueler putting 48 gallons into a 50 gallon capacity 172Q! I'm not sure if it ever got that low, but never miss an opportunity to pack a little extra fuel and never pass up a good airport when you've got suspicions.

16,000 feet? Good lord, did you pack a lunch and bring a couple of DVDs to keep you occupied until your top-of-climb point?
smile.gif

My VSI was pegged at a 2000FPM Climb I had been up to 13 and 14 with some downdrafts along the way also. Im guessing Density Altitude was around 20000. I had just flown over Bryce Canyon Utah and the airport was reporting 10700 D/A with pressure at 30.44. I hang around glider pilots and have picked up some things to do in updrafts usually power back and bank around 45 degrees to keep in the updraft but I wanted to get as high as I could. So I added full power what was left at least and held a tight circle for about a minute. I think I could have hit 17000 if I would have went back for some more.

I took a Cessna 140 up to 11,500 from Palo Alto to Inyo-Kern via Death Valley (flew near Mt. Whitney). It was the highest and lowest I've ever flown as a pilot, and both were on the same flight. It was also the hottest time I've ever flown and lowest on fuel I've ever been! Quite an experience!

JR

10500 on the way back from Vegas... I had lots of thermals.... passing 8300 I couldn't climb AT ALL... even at Vy; then said screw it, leveled at 8500, then hit a HUGE updraft that allowed me to rocket up there... didn't want to go too much higher due to O2 reasons... I really don't like flying above 10000 if I can help it!

The temp up there was 20something C... Anyone want to bother figuring DA?

I had my second lesson yesterday and topped out 1500 feet! Yeah!...........................1
Smokey

We had a guy supposedly get one of our 152s up to 17500. He was flying around Point of the Mountain which has some pretty crazy thermals so I guess it's possible.

2 of us had an arrow at 15,500 and could have gone higher but I couldn't feel my face and my friend started drooling... nah, j/k. We live at 4200' - oxygen? oxygen? we don't need no stinkin oxygen!

12,000 feet....not too bad. Been up at 10,000 in a 152.....lol. If you've gotta go, you've gotta go!!!

14,400 MSL, 14,000 cabin pressure altitude
smile.gif
(Alt setting 30.32)

I couldn't get a Cherokee to go past 12,000....and even in a Seminole was only getting about 300-400 fpm @ 12,000

when I had the Skyhawk at 12,000, I was westbound.......anybody know what 42 knots over the ground looks like???

[ QUOTE ]
anybody know what 42 knots over the ground looks like???

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, yes. I know what -5 knots over the ground looks like. But thats another story...
wink.gif

I don't think I've ever had a 172 above 8,000- I've never flown one far enough.
tongue.gif

Back