The future

what may the future planes look like. Will they be controlled by a computer and no pilots. I now there making new avionics.

They will probably have some wings. Maybe a tail. And some seats inside. Oh and wheels that disappear in flight.

[ QUOTE ]
They will probably have some wings. Maybe a tail. And some seats inside. Oh and wheels that disappear in flight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Priceless.

They'll probably look a lot like they do now.

Remember, I'm from a generation that would watch programs like Battlestar Galactica, Space 1999 and others and figured that by the time I was 30, we'd have spacey-looking cars, jet packs and be colonizing Venus.

2004 is a lot like 1970 but with a lot more telephones and more TV channels.

I gather 2040 will be a lot like 2004, but with smaller telephones and way too many TV channels again.

Unless, of course, someone starts lobbing nukes in the meantime then we'll be chasing one another with "Board with Nail".

[ QUOTE ]
I gather 2040 will be a lot like 2004, but with smaller telephones and way too many TV channels again.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean I won't be able to teleport on my 60th birthday in 2044???

[ QUOTE ]
You mean I won't be able to teleport on my 60th birthday in 2044???

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful.

No profit in innovation besides making cheap junk even cheaper to sell to earn a profit.

[ QUOTE ]
...figured that by the time I was 30, we'd have spacey-looking cars, jet packs and be colonizing Venus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now Doug, I dunno! There are some pretty spacey-looking cars out there, I saw a guy wearing a jet pack land in the midfield during the pre-Daytona 500 festivities, and we are exploring Mars!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
what may the future planes look like. Will they be controlled by a computer and no pilots. I now there making new avionics.

[/ QUOTE ] If they ever decide to use computers vs pilots at the helm - I won't be flying in them! guaranteed!! I don't have 100% trust in any one type of computer!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Unless, of course, someone starts lobbing nukes in the meantime then we'll be chasing one another with "Board with Nail".

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh, he's got a board with a nail in it! *runs away like Kodos*

The reason the technology of un-manned aircraft has been developed is so that they can be flown into hostile area without risking the lives of the crew. Kind of the opposite effect we want for airline travel. It may happen eventually but it won't be in any time soon, and certainly not soon enough to be a threat to a job we might be looking for. The FAA would not approve pilotless aircract to cary paying passengers for a long, long time, until the technology has been proven to be absolutely flawless in any situation. In other words, we have to develop AI to the extent that we could build androids. We're talking science fiction here.

Speaking of pilotless aircraft, I could only imagine the mother-of-all-wars between pilots and engineers in determining when it's appropriate to abort a takeoff.

Like an engine fire approaching V1... Would you execute a high speed aborted takeoff?

Would you use the available power from the burning engine to rotate, takeoff, extinguish the fire and land?

How would the computer determine which runway is suitable to land on, and how would they coordinate that with the control tower?

Or what would the method be to practice traffic avoidance? if a computer reacted to a TCAS resolution advisory, would it automatically react or be able to 'sense' where the aircraft actually is and decide to turn rather than climb or descent? What about VFR traffic?

I think it's way more complicated than magazines like Scientific American or the Discovery Channel think.

It'd be cool, but some hotshot MBA will decide that instead of purchasing a more efficient aircraft, he'll just squeeze the employees to work for less!
smile.gif

I woudn't go so far as to say that.

The Space Shuttle is in effect a pilotless aircraft/glider. in that the computers can do all the work nessary.

Although the front scanners prefer to hand fly it as much as possible.

Anyway, thats what I've heard. I could be wrong.

But what happens when somthing happens that the computer is not programmed to handle because it was never envisioned. You've seen "Space Cowboys" haven't you?
grin.gif

If the space shuttle was capable of being pilotless in any situation there would be no pilots. Besides, even as we speak, flying on the shuttle is a dangerous job even with pilots on board.

My point is, there is no way the FAA would approve of pilotless aircraft to cary passengers unless they were convinced that the computer could handle any situation, including those that have not even been concieved, which means artificial intelligence that goes way beyond our current technology. There could be situations where the computer would have to improvise a solution, and do so well enough to convince one of the most beurocratic organizations in history that it is safe.

We can't even convince Kristie that its safe, and she's brave enough to marry Doug.
grin.gif

I've said it before and I'll say it again ... pilotless passenger-carrying aircraft will not happen until AI reaches the sophistication level of LCdr Data from Star Trek. So on stardate 50000 (whenever the hell that is) we'll talk again ...

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... pilotless passenger-carrying aircraft will not happen until AI reaches the sophistication level of LCdr Data from Star Trek. So on stardate 50000 (whenever the hell that is) we'll talk again ...

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

It's already happening........somewhere in central Nevada....

Back