The future

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... pilotless passenger-carrying aircraft will not happen until AI reaches the sophistication level of LCdr Data from Star Trek. So on stardate 50000 (whenever the hell that is) we'll talk again ...

FL270

[/ QUOTE ]

It's already happening........somewhere in central Nevada....

[/ QUOTE ]
One more slip like that and you'll *poof*......
smirk.gif

There was a chance to make a radical change in aviation with the Sonic Cruiser, but Boeing decided to stick to the tried and true design.

Sadly, the only one out there pushing the limits of aircraft design is Burt Rutan. And I think THAT is where the future is going to come from.

I HOPE that the X-prize leads to some innovation in a single-stage-to-orbit vehicle; that's the only way we are going to get a foothold in space to go to the Moon and Mars.

Computers flying planes? The Global Hawk is one thing, while commercial passenger-carrying aircraft is another. Look at the failure rates of Global Hawks, and you'll see that they are VERY unacceptable for carrying passengers/cargo. I think you'll see more UAVs in military applications, but there probably is no place in commercial aviation for them. Look at how many airlines opted for the folding wings on the 777; passengers won't feel comfortable in a computer-flown aircraft, so I doubt it will happen.

More composites, faster and more fuel efficient engines, and maybe some changes in the traditional configuration, but nothing too radical.

Oh, and all of the airlines will have changed their liveries about 50 times in the next 40 years...
grin.gif

(or should I be pessimistic and say THE airline will have changed its livery about 50 times in the next 40 years... *groan*)
tongue.gif

I think people don't realize just how pilot-involved an autoland actually is.

The general impression is that you push the 'autoland button' and the jet does it's thing.

There are probably 10 things that have to happen in perfect symphony, many within the span of 5 seconds in order to successfully complete an autoland. And then, believe it or not, sometimes they fail and you've got to take over manually with a split second decision.

Personally, they scare the crap out of me when I'm sitting there watching it, I couldnt' imagine sitting back in 29C knowing that there aren't any pilots in the cockpit.

I'd rather drive.

The future is...

On that train all graphite and glitter
Undersea by rail
Ninety minutes from New York to Paris
(More leisure for artists everywhere)
A just machine to make big decisions
Programmed by fellows with compassion and vision
We'll be clean when their work is done
We'll be eternally free yes and eternally young!

I have heard that the next generation of Boeing aircraft (post-7E7) is being designed for a crew of one pilot and one dog.

The job of the pilot will be to monitor the instruments. The job of the dog is to bite the pilot if he even looks like he's going to touch anything.

I realize most people think pilots do nothing but drink coffee and push buttons all day, but my laptop crashes on an almost daily basis... there is no Ctrl+Alt+Del at 35,000 feet! I would never trust a computer with my life.

Back