The Dragon Lady bites

Orange Anchor

Way back when, I saw my first U-2. It was hangared off a remote taxiway at Bien Hoa Air Base in Vietnam. One afternoon, I saw it descending slowing back into Bien Hoa and I had the cut-off. The rejoin in my pathetic little O-2 was going real well when a small voice in my head piped up and said, "This is really NOT a good idea." I aborted the rejoin.

Later, when deploying to Thailand, I got to know the group operating out of U-Tapao and was told I should apply for the program. A U-2 slot was a guaranteed Lt. Col. unless you really screwed up. I was able to sit in on a mission prep and got into the cockpit. Interesting place to work.

But here is acolorful video with some crude language demonstrating why maybe transition to the U-2 should be done after some hours in a Stearman.

http://tinyurl.com/d9939n

This second video is a good cockpit tour. Note the yoke and if the cockpit seems large, remember the pilot is not suited up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBK0CP509UY&feature=related

FWIW, the name "Dragon Lady" originated in the 30s in the comic strip, Terry and the Pirates.

If you are a U2 pilot and leave the service, do you need to get a tailwheel endorsement or will the U2 count? Does the U2 allow you to log TW time?

Cool stuff. Seems real tricky.

If you are a U2 pilot and leave the service, do you need to get a tailwheel endorsement or will the U2 count? Does the U2 allow you to log TW time?

Don't know but it should. Watch the rudder and you get a clue.. those BIG rudder kicks are often a sign you are about 1 input behind.

Don't know but it should. Watch the rudder and you get a clue.. those BIG rudder kicks are often a sign you are about 1 input behind.

How does the AF train for this machine. It would seem some T-6 time would come in handy. I can't imagine the U2 being your initial TW trainer.

How does the AF train for this machine. It would seem some T-6 time would come in handy. I can't imagine the U2 being your initial TW trainer.

I don't see anything in this bit of info that is tailwheel. The -38 as a lead in airplane?

240 days a month deployed? Per diem would be good but home life? Training is 9-11 months? Wow.. long time to learn how to dance with her.

<cite>www.beale.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-080313-064.doc</cite>

The do HAPL and LAPLs here all the time at Chico. They do practice landings in the T-38 (Don't ask me why).

I find it amazing that at alt...there is only 6 knots of wiggle room between overspeed and a stall. Amazing thanks for sharing.

There have been a number of write ups by Lane Wallace in the AOPA pilot magazine about her recent trip up in a U2, for those who are interesten in the experience

Looks more like controlled crashes... but I think an appropriate trainer would be riding an unicycle and juggling flaming bowling pins at the same time. Or flying a helo. ;)

There have been a number of write ups by Lane Wallace in the AOPA pilot magazine about her recent trip up in a U2, for those who are interesten in the experience

Correct author, incorrect magazine. It's in this month's "Flying". Several articles, really good read(s). I enjoyed the discussion of how many of the pilots are active in the GA world, with a number of them being airplane owners themselves.

I'll ask. One of my really good pals is a former U2 pilot. ;)

Well yeah Waco, If that first video is how you are supposed to land that thing, I am well qualified. Mine landings look a lot like that.:D

Well yeah Waco, If that first video is how you are supposed to land that thing, I am well qualified. Mine landings look a lot like that.:D

:laff:

I wonder how many of these machines have been destroyed in landing accidents? Do you think they are really that tricky to fly, or are we getting a "best of" video? Sure looks like it would be tricky - kind of like lots of taildraggers it seems like - touch down anything except tracking perfectly straight on the centerline and it is going towards the weeds.

The landing reminds me a bit of the glider I used to fly. The tailwheel part is one thing, but add into it really long wings relatively close to the ground, and you don't have much room for crosswind correction before you're dragging the wing tips on the runway.

those are some interesting landings.

it looks like it could just be flipped if you blew on it.

more power to the guys who fly em.

I find it amazing that at alt...there is only 6 knots of wiggle room between overspeed and a stall. Amazing thanks for sharing.

When the 717 is real heavy and at FL370 you have less than a ten knot window between over-speed and buffet. It is real weird seeing the header and footer "pinched" together that close on the speed tape.

Back