That's weird!

Re: That\'s weird!

Dooya have to fend off many 49 year old flight attendants?

Is it true that out in the airline world, there are flight attendants looking for husbands (pilots) and husbands (pilots) looking for girls?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Dooya have to fend off many 49 year old flight attendants?

[/ QUOTE ]

Define many, but yes there are some who must be kept at arm's length.

[ QUOTE ]
Is it true that out in the airline world, there are flight attendants looking for husbands (pilots) and husbands (pilots) looking for girls?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are also flight attendants looking for wives (pilots), wives (pilots) looking for guys, and every other combination. It bugs the crud outta me to hear an FA say "I won't date a pilot because you all lie and cheat." My experience in the last 3 years is that FAs, generally speaking, will cheat and lie just as much.

It's not the job, it's the person. Does the job make it easier? Yeah, but it's still not right.

[ QUOTE ]
flight attendants looking for husbands (pilots)

[/ QUOTE ] yes,sometimes the chemistry is there just as it would show itself in any type of interaction and/or profession.

[ QUOTE ]
husbands (pilots) looking for girls?

[/ QUOTE ] 98% of the time, NO... there's that 2% out there that give all pilots (and F/A's) a bad name... it's not just the pilots and just so it goes to show - that's in ANY field, and any gender... not just flying.

questions like this:[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] are really quite annoying to those of us who are happily married to pilots and/or F/A's (whether male/female etc). don't give yourself such a large ego based on what "used" to happen in the profession... stuff like that really doesn't occur that frequently in today's world like it did in yesterdays and it's all based on the person, not the profession....if your going into the profession because that type of thing sounds "kewl" or because you *think* that you can get away with it easier, your better off going for doctor, lawyer or garbage man.. they have just as much opportunity if not more (because they're home all the time) to do the same type of damage.

[ QUOTE ]
stuff like that really doesn't occur that frequently in today's world like it did in yesterdays and it's all based on the person, not the profession....if your going into the profession because that type of thing sounds "kewl" or because you *think* that you can get away with it easier, your better off going for doctor, lawyer or garbage man.. they have just as much opportunity if not more (because they're home all the time) to do the same type of damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, you have never heard the phrase "What goes on the road, stays on the road"... Being on the road makes this kind of lewd behavior tremendously easier to conduct and hide... Gee, lets see, all these pilots on the road with hotel rooms, that aren't even in their name... Hhhmmm...

I am in no way condoning or encouraging this kind of behavior, but I think one would have to be an utter fool to think that it doesn't occur at a rather large and alarming rate (well beyond the 2% mentioned)... Especially on the scheduled airlines where a crew may be together for a month at a time, or with very frequent, common layovers...

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously, you have never heard the phrase "What goes on the road, stays on the road"... Being on the road makes this kind of lewd behavior tremendously easier to conduct and hide... Gee, lets see, all these pilots on the road with hotel rooms, that aren't even in their name... Hhhmmm...

I am in no way condoning or encouraging this kind of behavior, but I think one would have to be an utter fool to think that it doesn't occur at a rather large and alarming rate (well beyond the 2% mentioned)... Especially on the scheduled airlines where a crew may be together for a month at a time, or with very frequent, common layovers...

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it doesn't happen as much as one may think.

This is about to get interesting

popcorn.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, having flown for the scheduled carriers myself for 7 years, I can speak from personal experience that it does NOT happen as much as people think it does.

edit to add I'm not blind or stupid enough to say it never happens, but the percentage of cheating pilots/FAs is the same as in any other job. I know pilots & FAs who have cheated, and I know secretaries, doctors, factory workers, gate agents, mechanics, nurses, retail clerks & teachers who have also cheated.

The days of the stereotypical playboy pilots and the hussy FAs out to get some on their overnights are long long gone. Rarely do pilots & FAs spend more than a turn together (though some airlines do still co-pair), and with the min rest overnights these days, all you want to do during your 8 long hours (that's 8 hours on the ground folks, not 8 hours behind the door) is try to get as much sleep as humanly possible!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] are you sure about that? seems to me that the only way to discourage such actions is to believe and promote that this type of behavior doesn't occur *as much* anymore... but you seem to want to keep "the dream alive" by telling us all that you think this stuff still occurs *at an alarming rate*... hmmmm I seem to remember that your flying corporate - not airline, right? so then what do you know about what goes on during airline layovers, as it is today.. not yesterday, not 30 years ago...but today....

I chose to believe and promote that this type of behavior doesn't occur as often as it did in the 60's/70's and there's no way anyone is going to tell me otherwise unless it actually happens in my own family/friend circle. Trust is EVERYTHING in this type of relationship and if you don't have it - don't expect to last!

I see more and more "on the sides" going on out in the mainstream world.. engineers that I know, secretaries & engineers, clerks, govt workers, higher ups etc that are WAY worse than ANY of the pilots I know...from what I hear, pilots don't have the time or strength or want to deal with *usually* more than one chick because for the most part, more than one woman is already too many to handle (esp when it's nationwide)!! pilots are typically too tired after a trip to have to deal with girl emotional crap and they don't normally get long enough layovers as it is... FA's are usually not at the same hotels and dont normally have the same layover times...the Capt & FO might be flying together for an entire trip or month, but there are no frequent & common layovers anymore with the entire flight crew - those are completely a thing of the past...*fly by night* type relationships normally can't be kept long and what would be the freekin point anyway? to ruin your entire way of doing things/living? ya really WANT to pay alimony, lose 3/4 of your check each month, make your kids miserable and disappoint everyone you know? for what - a piece of A**...puhleeze...that's way to much of a price to pay, if you ask me! not worth even a penny!

essentially, it's up to the individual to make that kind of bad judgement call and if you want to keep that perception up, then maybe you KNOW more about it than I do - which is why you continue to let everyone believe that that type of behavior is "growing at an alarming rate"...
[ QUOTE ]
Being on the road makes this kind of lewd behavior tremendously easier to conduct and hide

[/ QUOTE ]
Is that experience talking or do you by chance know someone that is part of that "growing" trend? hmmm....if so, do you give em the *you know that's wrong, you'll lose everything you've worked so hard for* speech or do you give him the thumbs up sign with *you go bro, as long as he/she doesn't know - your cool as a cucumber*.. bah! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

why don't we all work together to discourage this type of behavior instead of encouraging it by saying "yes, it does still continue"... why don't we work on the "work on your marriage, communication is the key & divorce shouldn't be an easy way out" type stuff instead of agreeing that the stigma WILL continue....because maybe at some point, the stigma that the pilots & FA's & pilot SO's have to live with on a daily basis might actually go away for good and we can all finally have some peace of mind on the subject! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

questions like this:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

are really quite annoying to those of us who are happily married to pilots and/or F/A's (whether male/female etc). don't give yourself such a large ego based on what "used" to happen in the profession... stuff like that really doesn't occur that frequently in today's world like it did in yesterdays and it's all based on the person, not the profession....if your going into the profession because that type of thing sounds "kewl" or because you *think* that you can get away with it easier, your better off going for doctor, lawyer or garbage man.. they have just as much opportunity if not more (because they're home all the time) to do the same type of damage.

YIKES!!!!

I think I've found a raw nerve and stepped right on it...Not my intention at all. The pilots and girls quote wasn't even mine-- I plagiarized it from a book of airline quotes.

I am happily engaged and plan to soon be quite happily married to the perfect girl. Beyond that, I'm absolutely not dropping nearly $50K on training costs and years of my life, with a questionable income on the flip side, to meet other girls. If that were the case, Law School would be a helluva lot easier, IMHO.

Truth be told, I'm still a wanna be pilot in search of his first CFI gig. I ask these questions because I'm curious. I don't know what it's like out on the road at strange airports and different hotels every night. I don't know what the social mores are for airline pilots. I do know that I am fascinated with every aspect of the career, past, present, and future...

I flew a desk in the Air Force, but I did spend time TDY. I'm very familiar with 'what goes TDY stays TDY.' This is not what I'm interested in. It should be noted that wile I'm away, my wife, who is a lot cuter than I am, will have just as much opportunity to stray as I will. She knows that I will be faithful, I know that she will be faithful. This, among other reasons, is why I am marrying her. Fidelity.

I agree with another thought in this thread. Granted, I'm in a mature, monogamous relationship with someone I'm attracted to, but at the end of the day, I'm going to want to go to sleep much more than I'm going to want to jeopardize my marriage.

[ QUOTE ]
are you sure about that? seems to me that the only way to discourage such actions is to believe and promote that this type of behavior doesn't occur *as much* anymore...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that like "hoping and praying"? Ignorance is bliss...

[ QUOTE ]
but you seem to want to keep "the dream alive" by telling us all that you think this stuff still occurs *at an alarming rate*...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it certainly is nothing like that stupid movie "Catch Me if you Can"... But it happens... And who said anything about with Flight Attendants??? There certainly isn't any "dream" to keep alive... Just saying that it does happen... Where do you think the term "AIDS" (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) came from??? And I would never say a large majority (or even any type of majority) of airline personel participate in this type of activity, but I would certainly say it is WELL beyond the 2% you want to believe that do this...

[ QUOTE ]
hmmmm I seem to remember that your flying corporate - not airline, right? so then what do you know about what goes on during airline layovers, as it is today.. not yesterday, not 30 years ago...but today....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I NEVER stay at any of the same locations as airline flight crews, plus I don't know one single person who flies or has flown for the airlines... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

On that same note, I seem to remember you don't fly at all, so then what do you know about what goes on during airline layovers??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I NEVER stay at any of the same locations as airline flight crews, plus I don't know one single person who flies or has flown for the airlines...

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, two problems with this. #1 you come off sounding like "I'm better than all those airline pukes." #2 you're chipping in on a conversation about airline pilots and FAs and you don't KNOW any? Let's see. Kristie is a former FA and married to an airline pilot, and Amber is a furloughed FA. I think they MIGHT know what they're talking about. Me? I'll admit I don't know anything past what my airline pilot friends have told me and my personal experience on the ramp. CSA cheat. Rampers cheat. Ops agents cheat. Ya know what? I bet the pilot's wife cheats when he's out of town, too. Ever think that THAT could be one of the causes of AIDS (Airline Induced Divorce Syndrome)? The wife feels neglected since her husband is on the road all the time, meets some nice guy at the grocery store, and we're done.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
are you sure about that? seems to me that the only way to discourage such actions is to believe and promote that this type of behavior doesn't occur *as much* anymore...

[/ QUOTE ]Is that like "hoping and praying"? Ignorance is bliss...

[/ QUOTE ] No hoping or praying about it - it's called "work"... and i wouldn't call it ignorance, it's called experience (been there/done that)..and it's called trust... I (just me myself and I) understand what it's all about...I'm not vouching for everyone else's marriage, just my own... it's about trusting the other person first and foremost... and about communicating when you even have an inkling that something needs to be talked about and hashing it out - even if it means over and over again in the middle of the night from time to time... that's what helps me understand and helps both of us keep the communication open, no matter the subject. but first and foremost, you trust in the other person...if they break that trust, then hell hath no fury! and all it takes is bringing home some unwanted "luggage" like bugs on cat grass! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
but you seem to want to keep "the dream alive" by telling us all that you think this stuff still occurs *at an alarming rate*...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, it certainly is nothing like that stupid movie "Catch Me if you Can"... But it happens... And who said anything about with Flight Attendants??? There certainly isn't any "dream" to keep alive... Just saying that it does happen... Where do you think the term "AIDS" (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) came from???

[/ QUOTE ]yeah, it was a stupid movie wasn't it? just like that dumb lifetime jack wagner story when he has the 3 wives! ack!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
but let's get this straight...from what i understand, the #1 cause of aids is money.. the #2 cause of aids is time apart... down the line between 3 & 10 is the cheating category (it's not even #1)...so cheating is not the reason AIDS is present in the field.. it's only a factor.

[ QUOTE ]
And I would never say a large majority (or even any type of majority) of airline personel participate in this type of activity, but I would certainly say it is WELL beyond the 2% you want to believe that do this.......

[/ QUOTE ] ok.. so 2% may or may not be a little low, but I used 2% in that most percentages are based on a 2% principle or "figure of speech" if you want to call it that....2% of all black people are really bad (those are the ones shown on the news) but that doesn't mean they're all bad.. 2% of all whites can speak spanish but that doesn't mean good spanish....2% is just a "figure of speech" if you want to call it that.. If they had an actual percentage listed for it - we'd all be in some serious trouble! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
hmmmm I seem to remember that your flying corporate - not airline, right? so then what do you know about what goes on during airline layovers, as it is today.. not yesterday, not 30 years ago...but today....

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I NEVER stay at any of the same locations as airline flight crews, plus I don't know one single person who flies or has flown for the airlines... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't say you don't stay at the same places nor that you don't know folks in the airlines - that's why i asked (maybe you missed that part?). maybe you have more personal experience than I do in this subject - meaning you have more personal experience in seeing that type of thing since you travel and I travel only part of the time and it may be that you see it more with one particular airline vs others - I have heard of one particular airline where it's pretty darn common.

[ QUOTE ]
On that same note, I seem to remember you don't fly at all, so then what do you know about what goes on during airline layovers??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]gosh, could it be because my husband flies a major airline, I have a spouse card (travel free card), he has layovers all the time and I actually TRAVEL on his trips with him sometimes? Noooo.. say it isn't so! don't count me out just cuz i dont have my own pilot certificate - I don't need one. I've met many of the captains & flight crew, hung out, had a beer or two, dealt with late checkin, early check out, can pick a pilot or F/A out of the crowd and even see some/hang out with some of the flight crew when we're overseas... so i'm quite qualified in how the layovers work, I understand just how tired the pilots are when they're done for the day and after a good 3-4 day trip and know just how they really do get NO sleep during the trip! I KNOW i couldn't do it on weekly basis - i just don't know how ya'll do it (and that's a compliment!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

honestly, that's really all I wanna say on the subject.. it doesn't need to be hashed out for ever and a lifetime because nothing's going to change on a dime.. it'll take work to get rid of the stupid stigma (on ALL sides - wives, pilots, f/a's, pax etc).

now - i'm only vouching on my own marriage and not others...some families don't have the staying power, i think mine does which is why i'm so adamant about this.

I dunno bro!

One day, four legs, four different sets of FA's.

Each time we change jets, we change flight attendant crews and as you can see from PFTR2.0, I change jets all the time.

[ QUOTE ]
Kristie is a former FA and married to an airline pilot

[/ QUOTE ]umm.. sorry to disappoint you kell, but i'm not a former FA! doh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I actually work a 9-5 in the engineering field.. surrounded by geeks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I NEVER stay at any of the same locations as airline flight crews, plus I don't know one single person who flies or has flown for the airlines...

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops. I thought you were former DAL FA in MCO. I think I should pull my foot outta my mouth now.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, two problems with this. #1 you come off sounding like "I'm better than all those airline pukes."

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a friendly observation, but I don't read it that way at all...

Uh nope...where'd you hear that from anyways? I've always been an enginerd!

Believe me, I've been playing the scheduled airline game since 1996 and there's way more 'squeaky squeaky' going on at the neigborhood insurance agency than an airline.

Lemme think, this trip, it was just me and the captain laying over downtown whereas the flight attendants stayed by the airport on a short layover.

Tonight, we're on a medium layover in JAX, getting in at about midnight. The girls worked all day and are leaving at 0900 and we're leaving at 1300 or so. Very romantic.

Tomorrow night, it's just me and the captain laying over solo again because the girls go back to ATL.

That's pretty typical at Delta. We rarely lay over with the flight attendants. Even when we lay over for the same period of time in the same city, often, they're at a different hotel because they don't have contractural language that dictates quality and location of the hotel.

For example, on a 15-hour layover in DCA, we'll layover at the DCA Hilton whereas the FA's lay over about six miles away at a different hotel.

Quite frankly, most have aversion to being in crowds so very often do the 'slam click' thing and order room service. I can understand that the last thing they want to do is change, redo their hair and hang out in a crowded cocktail lounge where they've worked six legs of full MD-88's with needy passengers.

Most flight attendants are parents and generally it seems like they go to work to have some alone time, take a bath and relax. Besides, a lot of pilots are kinda boring to hang out with so I really don't blame 'em!

Doug, remember that Delta is not like most airlines. I never worked for an airline that used separate hotels. At Eagle, CCAir, Mesa and Midway we flew with the same FAs all month, stayed at the same hotel, did everything together.

Midway wasn't a problem really, most of the female FAs there were senior, if you get what I mean.

Eagle was in San Juan and 90% of the girls were Puerto Rican and not really interested in a "gringo" like me (although one took a shine to me, long story,) but the captains had many incidents, and a few wrecked marriages resulted.

At Mesa, however, there were plenty of young "chickies." Mesa FAs were definitely not in it for a career! They were on a "wanderjahr" so to speak, do this for a year or two to travel and meet people. They were certainly not in it for the money LOL.

I experienced many hints, very personal questions and outright propositions. The Philly FAs were a great bunch to hang out with and travel with, but I saw things get "out of hand" on more than one occasion.

On the other hand, it's a fact that the number of rumors about pilots and FAs exceeded the actual count by at least a factor of three!

Back