Terminal selected folks...info

I'm kind of confused about the difference between Terminal and TRACON and ATCT. ATCT stands for Air Traffic Control Tower right? I thought working at a TRACON or working at a tower were two different things. But I'm confused by my FOL which says "Position: ATCS (Terminal) and Duty Location: FAA Grant County ATCT/TRACON." Once again, I thought ATCT and TRACON were two completely different jobs. Which one am I? Or will I have "two" jobs combined as one cause it's a smaller airport? I thought TRACON people worked in window-less buildings just like ARTCC.
Moses Lake is an UP/DOWN. It is both a tower & a tracon. You will work both. First you'll check out in the tower, then they'll send you back to OKC for a month to learn radar, then you'll check out in the tracon. FYI "terminal" refers to BOTH ATCT and/or TRACON.

ok so I thought I had this all figured out but again something is new. indy is an up/down as well. I start 3/31 and go to 6/17? and then come back to indy for however long and then go back to OKC? or is it 2 months and then 1?

Just to clarify, we can get the low and high-altitude sectionals and start from there? Or is there a specific map just for ZTL airspace? I am only familiar with the sectional charts and I guess ZTL overlaps onto several of those.

FYI to anyone going to an ARTCC, you want to look at the IFR high and low altitude charts. Low altitude charts include center boundaries as well as sector frequencies. High altitude ones don't include them because any aircraft flying that high must be talking to ATC before entering that airspace.

Take heart in that on just about every chart cycle from the past few years usually has several NDBs being shut down, either being replaced by DME or GPS overlay.

Most of ZTL, ZME and a good chunk of ZFW is covered on L-17/18 if anyone cares. Just go to www.skyvector.com and print off a screen at a time and start copying.

So I was one of the ones selected for terminal. Hopefully IND's tower. Don't know the specific name or anything about it but would like to visit... how could I go about doing that?

Probably skipping an answer, but to share my experience- I googled my airport (GCN) and called them. Ask for the control tower, and they'll give you the number. Ask for the manager, explain your situation. Mine was more than welcoming, invited me and my family (with two young children) up to the tower and gave us a full tour!

If you don't have the option to visit, you should at least make contact with your manager. They have your name on a list already, so they're expecting you.

makecontact.jpg

Do I have to memorize all of the information on the arrival plate? Some of the fixes are well outside the 40nm range.

Back