"Telling Your Story"

It's really disappointing when people put OBAP/WAI on their apps just because they attended one job fair without even being a team player in those organizations.

You should be able to expand on OBAP. "Well what do you do in OBAP?" Great question I enjoyable participating in school visits and during the summer time, I volunteer to do what we call ACE camps to introduce high school students into aviation careers. I love it when the students keep in contact with me when they solo, get new ratings, etc. You actually show your involvement versus just putting for the sake of filling up space or trying to impress someone.

I volunteered when OBAP was in DC. Still didn't feel comfortable putting it on my resume.

"Tell me about the important work you did for OBAP."

"I stood behind a counter and BSed with @Old Dominion Flyer while checking IDs."

Was glad to help, but I don't think it made me a better candidate.

I volunteered when OBAP was in DC. Still didn't feel comfortable putting it on my resume.

"I stood behind a counter and BSed with @Old Dominion Flyer while checking IDs."

... facilitated... meaningful interactions, maintaining a... detail oriented identification inspection.....in a multi crew environment... 8/12/14 - 8/13/14

"Follow S#@t pilots say and ATC memes groups on Facebook, like and share their posts hence promoting the positive yet not always obvious aspects of aviation on social media"

You did a VERY good job checking IDs, though. As I recall you questioned the accuracy of my weight on my driver license.

I still can't figure out why they're such a big deal. It's not like the "I'm not walking around!" guys are entertaining first class, greeting passengers or doing much else beside checking their Iraqi Dinar futures on their iPhone 3.

I still can't figure out why they're such a big deal. It's not like the "I'm not walking around!" guys are entertaining first class, greeting passengers or doing much else beside checking their Iraqi Dinar futures on their iPhone 3.

Some people believe as Captain you've earned the privilege to never do walk arounds again.

I mean, honestly, only Airline pilots would think "gee, what are all of these dudes doing with all all of their off time? Are they even GIVING BACK?" No, sir, I am busily kicking puppies while I work scads of overtime and dig a moat around my house because I'm never there. I am a Taker, do not hire me!

So nobody is putting down their contribution to the JC community?

I mean, honestly, only Airline pilots would think "gee, what are all of these dudes doing with all all of their off time? Are they even GIVING BACK?"

I get "that look" from people when I describe the 7/7 schedule. The follow up is "I just worked 98 hrs in the last week. So now I have to fix the toilet, mow the grass, pay bills, clean my uniforms, oh, and somebody on the other hitch just got admitted to the hospital so I have to spend another 2 days (28 hrs) of my '7 off' at work, AND work in some family time so my daughters remember what I look like." Either that or I describe how I had to work six weeks, over 40 days, of OT last year. The discussion changes at about that point.

Some people believe as Captain you've earned the privilege to never do walk arounds again.

It's the FOs job. When I was an FO I always appreciated it when a captain did the walk around, especially when I was going to get food or something. But I never expected them to because it was part of my job.

I try to do the walk around for FOs now but if I can't I don't feel bad. It's definitely douchey to think you've earned the privilege to do/not do anything as captain. Normally you're just more senior.

Yea that went over my head the only airline battles I'm familiar with are east-west. Do the kids these days even remember the nic?
Well, I'm not a kid anymore and that is what made me absolutely not want to go AA, and has kept me from the airlines. I interned there in 1993.

Last edited:
I just recently started volunteering at my local aviation museum. It's twice a month for 4 hours giving tours of a 707 cockpit. It looks good for the resume and I also enjoy it. I also play guitar at church every week. I'd like to get involved at my company this year either doing some sort of safety committee or pilot mentoring. I have a lot of free time. Might as well do something useful!

Back