Teaching Groundschool

BoDEAN

Any Cfi's here ever teach a ground school to primary students? Any tips or advice? I'm going to be teaching my first one in a month or two, and we use the Jepp books. Just want to start getting a game plan down on what / how to teach it. A little nervous heh

I've taught a few ground schools and I really enjoyed it. I also used the Jepp book and it's great for teaching primary students. Just relax and enjoy yourself. Don't be afraid to get just a little off task if someone has a good story or question, but don't let it get out of hand. Get flight instruments from your MX department, and maps, charts, etc... make it a hands on learning experience. Take the students out to the airplanes and show them the instruments, controls, radios, how things work. I also used videos (not a lot) to change things up and add some variety.

My biggest piece of advice I learned is to let your students learn by doing. Don't just spit out all of the information for them. Make them work for it. If they begin to get frustrated, then give out the answers.

Good luck and happy teaching!

Any tips on a guide to use?
Or should I just point out key areas in the chapters of the JEPP private manual and go from there?

I taught at a 141 school, so I had to use the Jepp book from cover to cover. It actually worked pretty well.

I just used the big book and the Jepp 141 syllabus as a very rough guide. However, I changed the pace quite a bit.

I have filled in many times for private ground in the past. WHat I would usually do was follow the Jepp 141 syllabus as an outline. At first I would try to teach the same way as the lady who normally taught the ground school. Then I got some good advice, you have to take control of the class and make it your own... Teach what you think is important and make sure they understand everything that they need to know to be a safe proficient pilot not nessecarily just to pass the test. Present all the info in a way that is most comfortable for you.... Good luck

Hiya, BoDEAN!

Teaching ground school is one of the most exciting and rewarding experiences one can have in the aviation education field - not to mention that it can also be one of the most aggravating and frustrating experiences at the same time!

Jepp books are just fine for most all the courses, too. Remember, in a formal lecture-based ground school, it's the instructor's presentation of the material within the scope of the subject area that matters more so than the specific text that is used to supplement the lectures. After all, a student learns better with sight and sound (yes, and sometimes even feel!) than by sight (reading) alone.

First, you need to read the book. Evaluate the flow of the material being presented.

Now start writing lesson plans and lecture outlines. Set each lecture up to be completed in a 45-50 minute time period, so you can give 'em a break every hour. Write your lesson plan just the way you were taught in CFI training. Give yourself a viable objective that can be reached within the hour's time frame, outline the specific subject areas that will need to be covered within the hour, and jot down some measurable completion standards.

Now take that section of the text and outline the high points. Go into as much detail (or maybe a bit more!) as you think you will need to talk about the subject area without sticking your nose in the book all the time. Add page number references and references to other study materials in the margins so that you (and your students) can refer to them if needed.

I will generally write my lecture outlines in 4 sections: Introduction, elements, quiz questions, and review. The introduction is my "spiel" about what I'm going to teach them and why. The elements section is the actual outline of material along with the references. The quiz section contains questions I can ask (either written or oral) during or after the lecture to ensure adequate learning has occurred. The review hits the highlights of the material again, with emphasis on safety aspects, and confirms that the objectives of the lecture (the “introduction” section) has indeed been completed.

Sound like lots of work? It is. It takes 3 or more hours for me to set up for a 1-hour lecture. Then, once I’ve actually given the lecture, I make notes and adjustments as needed for the next time around! After 3 or 4 repetitions, you end up with a superb set of lessons that you can use forever! I now have in excess of 600 hours of aviation education lectures on file, and the number just keeps on growing! (And before anyone asks…No, they are not for sale or lease!)

Enjoy your stint behind the lectern!

…and above all,

FLY SAFE!

not sure if someone has already told you this but sporty's just sent me lesson plans for flight as well as ground...might be worth looking into something to that effect

Back