TBI denied medical

TaylorFlight1

In April 2019 I was enlisting in the national guard at the MEPS station. After a blood draw was conducted. I walked down a hallway, and proceeded to pass out. Resulting in a TBI with Basilar Skull Fracture. I have gone deaf in my right ear as well from the blow to my head. This year I applied for a first class medical again and was denied on terms of a TBI form the AME in OK. I was given the option to wait till April 2024 or request reconsideration from the Federal Air Surgeon. I want to send in a letter to the FAA but I don’t know what effects it may have if I get denied again, and the chances I may get re-evaluated for approval. I am 19 years old and have had a speedy recovery from the accident. My PCP reported all resolved accept for the hearing (which may not come back ever). I have had some neuro psych testing and passed (difficult to schedule during Covid). And have also had recent MRIs. Is requesting reconsideration worth it? And if I do get denied again, which I have heard is likely. Will that Effect my reapplication in 2024? Thank you,

Taylor Pritchard

In April 2019 I was enlisting in the national guard at the MEPS station. After a blood draw was conducted. I walked down a hallway, and proceeded to pass out. Resulting in a TBI with Basilar Skull Fracture. I have gone deaf in my right ear as well from the blow to my head. This year I applied for a first class medical again and was denied on terms of a TBI form the AME in OK. I was given the option to wait till April 2024 or request reconsideration from the Federal Air Surgeon. I want to send in a letter to the FAA but I don’t know what effects it may have if I get denied again, and the chances I may get re-evaluated for approval. I am 19 years old and have had a speedy recovery from the accident. My PCP reported all resolved accept for the hearing (which may not come back ever). I have had some neuro psych testing and passed (difficult to schedule during Covid). And have also had recent MRIs. Is requesting reconsideration worth it? And if I do get denied again, which I have heard is likely. Will that Effect my reapplication in 2024? Thank you,

Taylor Pritchard
To add addition info. I am 19, very physically active with nearly 2000 miles on a bike this year. And have no issues whatsoever with any day to day tasks.

Hi TaylorFlight,

Once you have been denied your medical as you have said your next step in the process is to appeal to the Federal Air Surgeon. Your best bet is to enlist the help of one of the pilot advocate services (there are many referred to in these forums) to steer you through the process of record gathering and negotiating with the FAA. As far as the long term implications of a denial perhaps you could ask the question over in the "Ask an Aviation Attorney" section.

Warm Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Hi TaylorFlight,

Once you have been denied your medical as you have said your next step in the process is to appeal to the Federal Air Surgeon. Your best bet is to enlist the help of one of the pilot advocate services (there are many referred to in these forums) to steer you through the process of record gathering and negotiating with the FAA. As far as the long term implications of a denial perhaps you could ask the question over in the "Ask an Aviation Attorney" section.

Warm Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com
I’m currently not looking for any legal action to be taken and I have gathered most documentation requested by the FAA for reapplication stayed on the denial letter in April 2024. The only things I currently don’t have is a Neuropsychology exam. As there is only one in my state, and it’s difficult with the current pandemic situation. I want to just atleast send in an appeal for reconsideration. I’m not “too” worried of a return in denial as I just want to make sure that if it is denied again by the Administrator. I can still fully Re-Apply for April 2024.

It’s more or less I have the option under 14 CFR 67.409, so I may as well just try and hope for the best. Even though it most likely will get denied. I just want to make sure if it is denied again that it will not effect me in the long run.

Kind Regards,

Taylor

I’m currently not looking for any legal action to be taken and I have gathered most documentation requested by the FAA for reapplication stayed on the denial letter in April 2024. The only things I currently don’t have is a Neuropsychology exam. As there is only one in my state, and it’s difficult with the current pandemic situation. I want to just atleast send in an appeal for reconsideration. I’m not “too” worried of a return in denial as I just want to make sure that if it is denied again by the Administrator. I can still fully Re-Apply for April 2024.

It’s more or less I have the option under 14 CFR 67.409, so I may as well just try and hope for the best. Even though it most likely will get denied. I just want to make sure if it is denied again that it will not effect me in the long run.

Kind Regards,

Taylor

While I appreciate you’re desire to stay out of a legal process, that’s unfortunately kinda where you are.

I was in nearly the same boat as you (different issue) at the same age that led me to the same place you are around 15 years ago. I had no idea that my initial submissions and responses confused and hurt my case. My some miracle of luck I was able to work it out, but it took way longer than it should have. Please don’t make the same mistake that I nearly did. If I had known about someone that could help translate what the FAS was looking for, it would have been far less painful.

Since I don’t believe in not proposing a solution, I suggest you give ALPA Aeromedical Services In Denver a call. They charge a fee for non-ALPA members, but this is all they do...process special medical situations...all day long.

If you really want to give this a try, I highly recommend you get some help in taking on this challenge. I can’t emphasize enough how much this isn’t like talking with your family doctor.

I’m currently not looking for any legal action to be taken
I don't think he was talking about legal action. My most common advice to clients who come to me (lawyer) with an aviation medical issue is, "you never want your medical problem to become a legal one."

The best of the organizations and individual senior AMEs who consult on difficult medical certification issues are aviation medical experts, not aviation legal experts. Meeting FAA requirements after a denial or deferral is typically a long, arduous process with a revolving door where they give you a requirement, you meet the requirement, they give you another requirement, you meet that requirement and, by the time you do, the first requirement timed out so you have to do it again. The best of these consultants have the experience to understand what is required, how to get the package in advance, and present it in the most favorable light.

Of course, they also have the knowledge to let you know when you are not likely to get a good end result from the process.

While I appreciate you’re desire to stay out of a legal process, that’s unfortunately kinda where you are.

I was in nearly the same boat as you (different issue) at the same age that led me to the same place you are around 15 years ago. I had no idea that my initial submissions and responses confused and hurt my case. My some miracle of luck I was able to work it out, but it took way longer than it should have. Please don’t make the same mistake that I nearly did. If I had known about someone that could help translate what the FAS was looking for, it would have been far less painful.

Since I don’t believe in not proposing a solution, I suggest you give ALPA Aeromedical Services In Denver a call. They charge a fee for non-ALPA members, but this is all they do...process special medical situations...all day long.

If you really want to give this a try, I highly recommend you get some help in taking on this challenge. I can’t emphasize enough how much this isn’t like talking with your family doctor.

Thank your for your response! I’m coming a little late. As the deadline for the 30 day reconsideration window is the 23rd or this Sunday. I have all of my documentation lined up and ready to go as well as a letter to the FAS to send out today. I just want to appeal. And if it gets denied again by the FAS. I can wait till 2024. Worst case I’ll be 23 years old and reapplying for medical with ALL of the requested paperwork for that medical. I mainly just want to be sure. That when I get denied again by the FAS (which I’m sure will most likely happen) that it won’t hurt me when I re-apply in 2024. I have the option, so I want to just at least send something in and hope for the best.
Taylor

What was the FAA's reasoning for the 5 year wait? Did they mention it was the fracture, or did you have hemosiderin on your MRI? TBI myself back in November...

Back