Talking with pilots in the Terminal.

Adam - I'm new here, and it's nice to see someone I know already!

I was actually curious about this as well. This summer I had a few occasions where I had been very anxious to talk, but thought it would be disrespectful. Back in August, I was awaiting a Delta flight to CVG from BOS. I was sitting watching the planes depart and a F/O sat 4-5 seats down from me. We watched many planes depart together but never said one thing. I was too nervous! I just smiled back at him. I gave up a good chance to chat and potentially learn something. BUT it was cool enough sitting next to a role model in my eyes!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
But incidently I did ask the F/O if he knew Doug Taylor. He rolled his eyes and said no why does everyone ask me that. He was like I fly 737-800's not MD-88/90's. He chuckled why saying all this. And was like were just hitching a ride on this flight today.

[/ QUOTE ] yeah.. .keep that in mind when asking a pilot if he knows another pilot.. in most instances, they don't... like doug doesn't know any of the 737, 767, 777 guys that are based in atl, cvg, lax etc.. he only knows (for the most part) the captains that fly the md series... and doesn't know many from other airlines as well...

like doug always tells me - there's 9000 pilots at delta alone (i think), only about 500 (or so?) are based at dfw.. and figure a hundred or so that doug might see at the base or might fly with.... so he probably actually only knows 10% of the work force at delta alone.... i think that's pretty typical of most pilots!

someone correct me if i'm wrong!
grin.gif

One of my biggest regrets aviation wise was not taking advantige of things when the opportunity was still around.

When I was 12 (6 years ago) I took a huge cross country commercial trip with 7 legs total (4 there 3 back). The regret is that I never went up to the cockpit or tried to talk to any pilots on the ground. I was kind of young and nervous (flying alone), so I never got the courage to do it.

Now that it is not something a passenger can do it flight, I regret not doing it when I could.

Try and find some nice pilots and talk to them!

just whatever you do... don't go up and say "douglas, where is the plane... why are we late and where's my dinna?"...
shocked.gif

doug got that quite a bit tonight waiting for a very delayed american flight to come home (he got off at 6pm and the american flight was due to leave at 7pm but just now left at 9:15pm)... and since he still had his uniform on & his badge, he had a lot of people coming up and calling him by name... he says "kinda weird when you look at whose calling you by first name and you don't know them" and then they ask you a question which you know you don't have the answer to.. .doug just tells them " I dunno"...and after about an hour of that, one of the F/A's told him to "take off your badge - what are you thinking?" haha
grin.gif

Doug never has a problem talking to prospective pilots (unless he's in a rush to get to his next flight), it's the people who thinks he's a trash collector or working baggage or gate agent that he has a problem with....and i'm sure he'd love to have lunch bought for him too - for taking the time out to gab some and relax a bit...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
(or hot babes) down the jetway (should we be so equipped) before boarding to show them around the cockpit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It used to be standard on BA long haul flights that about 2 hours into the flight (once the fligh crew had settled down, had something to eat) the FAs would invite all the pretty girls (1 or 2 at a time) to the cockpit the captains would enjoy talking to.

[ QUOTE ]
One of my biggest regrets aviation wise was not taking advantige of things when the opportunity was still around.

When I was 12 (6 years ago) I took a huge cross country commercial trip with 7 legs total (4 there 3 back). The regret is that I never went up to the cockpit or tried to talk to any pilots on the ground. I was kind of young and nervous (flying alone), so I never got the courage to do it.

Now that it is not something a passenger can do it flight, I regret not doing it when I could.

Try and find some nice pilots and talk to them!

[/ QUOTE ]

I continue to kick myself for passing up the opportunity on potential jumpseat ride when I took my trip to France this summer. I've heard they still do jumpseats on domestic and European flights on Air France!!!! And I flew from CDG to NCE!!!!!!!
I was travelling with a group and when I asked if they would mind if I visited the cockpit once we were in Paris they all gave me this evil look......and I said "okay
frown.gif
"

Here's another question. I just got a digital camera for Christmas and on the way back I started wondering if (while deplaneing) I would be allowed to take a picture of the cockpit. Is that sort of thing at the Capt./FO's discreation?
I must admit I chickened out everytime I had the chance going home. Partially because I didn't know if I would be allowed security wise.

[ QUOTE ]
Adam - I'm new here, and it's nice to see someone I know already!

I was actually curious about this as well. This summer I had a few occasions where I had been very anxious to talk, but thought it would be disrespectful. Back in August, I was awaiting a Delta flight to CVG from BOS. I was sitting watching the planes depart and a F/O sat 4-5 seats down from me. We watched many planes depart together but never said one thing. I was too nervous! I just smiled back at him. I gave up a good chance to chat and potentially learn something. BUT it was cool enough sitting next to a role model in my eyes!
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Adam.......Glad you're on here now buddy!
cool.gif

A similar thing happened to me in DEN.

[ QUOTE ]
Here's another question. I just got a digital camera for Christmas and on the way back I started wondering if (while deplaneing) I would be allowed to take a picture of the cockpit. Is that sort of thing at the Capt./FO's discreation?
I must admit I chickened out everytime I had the chance going home. Partially because I didn't know if I would be allowed security wise.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a pilot so I don't know for sure. That is a very good question you asked.
When I got home from Miami a few days ago I was reading a copy of the AA magazine that I took(the FA said I could
grin.gif
) and it said in the AA information section under Safety/Well-being- "Photography/recording of airline personnel, equipment, or procedures is strictly prohibited".

On a US Airways flight I asked the Captain if I could get a couple of shots in the cockpit and he said "Sure" and even took the pics of me sitting in the left seat!

You'd be surprised. Sometimes, the pilots want to talk to you! I was sitting in ORD with my oral study book, and one asked me if I wanted some help. Of course I said yes.

He sat down and talked to me for about half an hour. He wouldn't even let me buy him a soda or something from Starbucks to say thanks. He just said, look, I love flying, and love talking about it.

Another time, we were delayed due to thunderstorms so we got off the plane. The first officer came out and sat down near me so I just was friendly and said hello. We ended up chatting until they needed him to go back.

I think the right way to handle things is to just be friendly and sociable to the people you want to talk to, and you'll know fairly quickly whether or not they want to talk to you. And if they don't, respect it. They may have a lot on their mind, they may be having a bad day, or whatever.

I don't get to fly as much as I would like . . . travelling commercially that is. With my Private certificate I can fly as much as I want so long as a plane is available and the weather is cooperating. I have actually considered getting a ticket to fly somewhere just for the sake of flying somewhere when airlines offer $99-round trip specials--just so I can get in the air.

Back in the fall of '99, I started college at a small school about 90 minutes NW of Wash D.C., and on nice days would drive to the closest Metro Station and go in to DC to enjoy the ambiance. What I loved was/is that the metro goes right to DCA with a stop there, so I would go there and walk the halls, take pictures of parked aircraft, taxiing aircraft, and just enjoy the overall atmosphere.

One afternoon, I travelled to DCA by way of Metro to get some research for a speech I was doing for the Debate & Forensics (Speech n Debate). I was really nervous about approaching pilots, but found a group of American pilots waiting around for a flight, so I approached them, and one volunteered to answer any questions I had, and he was very enthusiastic about it. We actually chit-chatted for quite some time and he was very helpful.

This was, however, the glory days of pre-Sept 11, 2001, when one could go up to the gate w/o a boarding pass.

Also, on a flight aboard Czech Airlines from EWR to Prague, enroute to a debate tournament, I asked a flight attendant if I could go up to the cockpit (still pre-9-11). I think she 'conveniently' forgot about me, so I asked again, and about a half hour later, what seemed to be the head flight attendant came and got me to take me up to the cabin--had a facial expression of 'okay, let's get you up there so you're happy and leave us alone.' I sit down, and what I thought was going to be a peep show ended up being me sitting alone with the pilots for a good 15 minutes, although they ignored me continuing their conversation in Czech. I didn't want to be rude, so I just sat there content jumpseating temporarily in a glass cockpit of a A320.

I look forward to the possibility of making some kids day by having the chance to answer his/her questions or show 'em a cockpit--as that would mean I am a commercial pilot.

[ QUOTE ]

I think the right way to handle things is to just be friendly and sociable to the people you want to talk to, and you'll know fairly quickly whether or not they want to talk to you. And if they don't, respect it. They may have a lot on their mind, they may be having a bad day, or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you on that.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get to fly as much as I would like . . . travelling commercially that is. With my Private certificate I can fly as much as I want so long as a plane is available and the weather is cooperating. I have actually considered getting a ticket to fly somewhere just for the sake of flying somewhere when airlines offer $99-round trip specials--just so I can get in the air.

Back in the fall of '99, I started college at a small school about 90 minutes NW of Wash D.C., and on nice days would drive to the closest Metro Station and go in to DC to enjoy the ambiance. What I loved was/is that the metro goes right to DCA with a stop there, so I would go there and walk the halls, take pictures of parked aircraft, taxiing aircraft, and just enjoy the overall atmosphere.

One afternoon, I travelled to DCA by way of Metro to get some research for a speech I was doing for the Debate & Forensics (Speech n Debate). I was really nervous about approaching pilots, but found a group of American pilots waiting around for a flight, so I approached them, and one volunteered to answer any questions I had, and he was very enthusiastic about it. We actually chit-chatted for quite some time and he was very helpful.

This was, however, the glory days of pre-Sept 11, 2001, when one could go up to the gate w/o a boarding pass.

Also, on a flight aboard Czech Airlines from EWR to Prague, enroute to a debate tournament, I asked a flight attendant if I could go up to the cockpit (still pre-9-11). I think she 'conveniently' forgot about me, so I asked again, and about a half hour later, what seemed to be the head flight attendant came and got me to take me up to the cabin--had a facial expression of 'okay, let's get you up there so you're happy and leave us alone.' I sit down, and what I thought was going to be a peep show ended up being me sitting alone with the pilots for a good 15 minutes, although they ignored me continuing their conversation in Czech. I didn't want to be rude, so I just sat there content jumpseating temporarily in a glass cockpit of a A320.

I look forward to the possibility of making some kids day by having the chance to answer his/her questions or show 'em a cockpit--as that would mean I am a commercial pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember those days to....my Dad and I would drive over to Charlotte and walk around the terminal. Had 9/11 not happened I would probably be going and having lunch in the terminal every couple of weeks or so (not Chili's though
smirk.gif
)
I just love the atmosphere of an airport!

A quick question....on your Czech flight, are you sure it was an A320? Or did you mean to write A330 or A340?
wink.gif

And yes, I, like you look forward to the day when the FA comes up and asks me if this little kid can see the cockpit, and I gladly give him or her a quick little tour!

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm not busy or in a hurry, I'm usually happy to talk. It gives me the illusion that airline pilot is still a respected and glamorous career.
wink.gif
Seriously, I like to help prospective pilots and often I point them in the direction of this site.

Oh yeah, the thing about buying my lunch is a good idea too.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if it makes you feel any better I still respect airline pilots.
And I would love to buy you lunch, but as an airline pilot wouldn't you know that I,the prospective pilot have to save every penny I earn ?
grin.gif

Pilots usually love talking to other aviation enthusiasts and young folks with dreams of an aviation career. Unfortunately, for every one of those types with a genuine interest and respect for what I do, there are 10 who approach me or my profession with an attitude, complaint or total disrespect for what I do. Fortunately, I can usually spot those types a mile away and will try to avoid all contact. Unfortunately, this is probably counter-productive and perpetuates their way of thinking.

In the past, pilots had much more leniency in allowing folks access to the airplane or flight deck and had more time to speak with them. The FAA/TSA have pretty much closed that door to the point it's even difficult for me to see my own flight deck. Also, in this day and age of economics, airlines want their planes in the air making money and that leaves little down time in the terminal for the crews to simply relax and mingle with the passengers. Crews land (usually late), taxi to the gate and then are in a mad dash to pack while sprinting across the terminal to their next assigned aircraft which is invariably on the other side of the terminal. like clock work, several passengers will attempt to stop and ask them about the the status of their luggage, tickets, pet shots..etc, which cuts into the crew's normal 5 mins alloted to crab and woof down a snicker bar and coke. After doing this several times a day, several days in a row while in different cities, it's understandable that the crews may be alittle defensive or may seem alittle annoyed initially when approached. We're spring loaded to that position over time and sometimes may make us seem aloof. Don't take it personally, you may have just caught us at a bad time if we don't respond the way you had hoped. The next pilot may be having a better day.

Most of us wish we had more time to speak to folks with genuine interest. Most of us don't like the fact that folks can't visit the flight deck. I've given tours to kids of all ages and enjoy seeing their enthusiasm and the looks in their eyes. I've spoken at length answering questions of all types. I especially enjoy speaking with kids who have just begun taking lessons and who aspire to become an airline pilot since that's who I can identify with the most.

Hey don't overlook a rich resource availabe to you ... the traveling corporate pilot. Although I only fly a few times a year and not in uniform, my computer case has a "Flight Crew" tag on it. Since I am useing the airlines for transportation as a passenger I only have time on my hands. I would and gladly talk to people about flying. I would venture a guess that there is a traveling pilot on most flights, between dead heading airline guys and corporate / fractional pilots, especially the fractional guys because they usually dead head on both sides of thier work week, and they are usually in uniform. Offer up a cup of coffee and you will enjoy the conversation. As far as checking out cockpits, go to the local FBO and ask a corporate operator to see his office, most of the times you will get a real nice nickle tour.
Have fun.

I don't mind talking aviation with people, but I got straight out antagonized while waiting for an American flight home to PHX last night.

Some old man walks up and says "Douglas why is this flight late?"

"I'm just a passenger, I have no idea".

"Well, Douglas you ought to know."

"I work for Delta"

"Why aren't you flying Delta Douglas?"

and on and on and on...

Then about 15 other people walked up and started asking me questions about their luggage, connections, why American is delayed, why the terminals are the way they are, if they're going to get OneWorld miles, yadda yadda yadda.

So I took off my ID and my nametag so people stopped walking up to me saying "Douglas! blah blah blah...."

Note to self, wear civilian clothes no matter how stinky they are after a four day trip.

I kinda felt like an idiot the last time I tried to talk to some Delta pilots. We stayed at the Embassy at DFW, and were waiting on the shuttle to take us to our departing terminal at 7AM a couple weeks ago. It was only my family, and two pilots. But being that I don't fly with the airlines much, I couldn't figure out who they flew for. So I walked up to them and asked "what airlines do you fly for," knowing that is about the lamest question I could have possibly asked. They paused for a few seconds, and said, "Delta." I knew that I looked dumb, and just ended it by saying, "Well I just finished my Instrument license a in November, and thought I'd say hi." They said congradulations, and I walked off. But while we were boarding our flight, the F/A asked my little brother if he'd like to see the cockpit, and I asked if I could too. So I talked for about a minute to the First Officer which was way cool.

But I was too nervous the rest of the trip to talk to any of the pilots that didn't look busy.

Don't sweat it, Jacob. Remember, we all had to start somewhere. I haven't met an airline pilot yet who didn't enjoy talking to a future aviator. Seeing their excitement helps to remind us why we got into this profession.

LOL Doug I always took advantage of the opportunity. I had a few buzz words available, like "Well they need to fix the fetzer valve first. They had to send out to the True Value for some ball bearings and gauze pads!"

I also liked to ask the complaining passenger if they wanted to help, "Hey you wouldn't have a roll of duct tape on ya, would ya?"

Back