Taking care of my CFI

I can't remember if this has been discussed here before or not...probably has, I just can't find it. Question is this: What is the best/most appropriate way to express thanks to your CFI after various stages of training? I'm about to solo, and I don't want to be a goofball with excessive/awkward/embarrassing thanks afterward (assuming I survive), but I also want to be sure that he knows how much I appreciate his work. Of course I'm paying a lot of money already, but my CFI doesn't end with much of it in his own pocket, I know. I once overheard one of the RJ pilots around the airport lobby asking someone if students tipped their CFIs there. Is tipping appropriate? Expected? Silly? Buy a keg? Wait until pass checkride? I'm sooooo confused. Any insights?

[ QUOTE ]
. Is tipping appropriate?

[/ QUOTE ]

He already gets that at his Pizza Hut delivery job.

Best thing is free lap dances at Vegas gentlemans clubs.

And the sad thing is that his Pizza Hut tips are probably more than his CFI salary but that's a whole 'nother discussion.

I know this was discussed before but don't have time to search the forums -- anyway - just a simple "Thank you I appreciate your effort' at the end of your lesson will go along way. Usually when I finished a rating I would give him a gift cert to an Applebee's type restaurant - nothing big maybe $20 or 30 bucks. Or maybe buy him a couple of cases of his favorite beer throughout your training. I wouldn't say that tipping is common but not unheard of - don't feel like you HAVE to give him something but if you do just make it something simple.

Jason

Definately do not tip.

I would just buy him a case of beer - that can not fail! I have not heard of people buying gifts at the solo stage - only once they have their license. Maybe a good thank you after your solo - or if it is around lunch time when you are done take him for a quick meal at a local joint (nothing fancy).

Man, why can't these people ever be my students?!
wink.gif

I always used to give my trainers/instructors gifts after a successful Nationals or at the end of the year when I was showing horses. So that is kind of customary to me. I did choose to get something for my CFI after my PPASEL checkride, though I don't think doing so is absolutely necessary. He's a big Chiefs fan, so I bought two tickets off of my uncle (who is a season ticketholder) and gave him those.

Well my instructor is like 25 yrs. old and 6'3 and works out like 3 times a week and boy does it show. There are soooooooo many ways I'd like to thank him.
shocked.gif

Gay Pilot- Isn't that taking it a little too far? I respect your right to be gay, but when you put it in everyones face like this, what do you expect?

I have to agree with Viper on this one. Theres one level of gay pride and there is taking it too far. I dont think anyone has a problem with you being gay but when you basically say you want to smoke you CFI's sausage, it takes it not only too far but opens you up to a ton of criticism. its best to keep that contained to the bedroom and not jetcareers forums

Well without hijacking this "thread". If I was str8 and my instructor was a female no one would say anything. Negative that is.

But really I just enjoy adding levity to a thread here and there.

But more to the point the title of the thread was waaaaay to ambigous. It was bound to happen.

So hey if I get flamed I can take it.... after all I'm not CitationKid.

[ QUOTE ]
If I was str8 and my instructor was a female no one would say anything.

[/ QUOTE ] I think we would all be a little surprised if someone said:

"Well my instructor is like 25 yrs. old and 6'3 and works out like 3 times a week and boy does it show. There are soooooooo many ways I'd like to thank her."

It's tasteless either way.

Yes,yes,yes perhaps a tad tastless in nature. But where were all the complaints when in DE727UPS post about JC needing a cargo forum turned into a girls of JC calendar and someone posted a pic. of the Olsen twins(who are underage minors btw) as well as other female celebs and ensenuated what they would love to do with them (sexual or otherwise) and others chimed in similar sentiments as well.

Funny didn't hear any complaints or anything then. So sounds like perhaps maybe there is a double standard. But hey I'm kool with it not complaining I can deal. But now for the sake of arguing. I will say that yes it is very unprofessional for an instructor and a student to become involved emotionally or otherwise no matter whatever there orientation is.

Lastly I did if you remember apolgize for doing the samething that others do and say, but only I said it bouta man.

Hehehehe

[ QUOTE ]
, but only I said it bouta man.

Hehehehe

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got the same rights as everyone else around here, bub. No special favors.

Let's all keep the tastelessness to a minimum.

I think Viper put it best - no one has a problem with you being gay - we just don't like it being pushed down our throats (maybe I choose the wrong phrase in this context).

[ QUOTE ]
I think Viper put it best - no one has a problem with you being gay - we just don't like it being pushed down our throats (maybe I choose the wrong phrase in this context).

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't bother me.

If you guys or girls want to type in all your fantasy dates, I just scroll by,

Who the F cares who you want to F.

Not me.

I do enjoy watching the Homophobes squirm at the thought of two guys together, then start to drool when the participants are changed to two women...

Talk about a double standard.

Lame.

I agree with you. "Someone" posted a link to a quite disgusting site where said tiwns birthday is being counted down, where people were saying what and where and how they would like to do these 17 year old girls, including comments that would get the tar beat out of you in jail. THAT was tasteless. But I don't see the comments made from a gay person about another man as any different then all the talk we did about calendars and posting celebs. The only difference I can see is that we were only talking about celebs who are people but they are people we don't know. I wouldn't have posted anything about a person I know cause you never know, you instructor might have read that.

Back