Taking care of my CFI

I thought it was funny Gaypilot....
wink.gif

But I don't think your CFI wants to be thanked....

Back to the original post.

My advice is that taking them out to eat after a flight would be a nice jester. Or the gift certificate so they can actually afford to take a date out is a good idea also. If your CFI is a busy CFI he may not have time for a case of beer or desire. But its certainly not customary to get gifts or money after doing instruction, so just a scencere thanks would be fine.

In my opinion, one of the best ways to show appreciation for your CFI (or any other person who teaches for a living) is to respect his or her efforts on your behalf by showing up for every lesson on time, with the homework done, and prepared to learn. CFIs have to put up with a lot of students who quit partway through, who don't want to mess with "the books", or who are just not serious about learning.

Also, in a small way, your doing your best and passing your checkride the first time is a "gift", since a good pass rate contributes to an easy renewal for the CFI.

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, one of the best ways to show appreciation for your CFI (or any other person who teaches for a living) is to respect his or her efforts on your behalf by showing up for every lesson on time, with the homework done, and prepared to learn. CFIs have to put up with a lot of students who quit partway through, who don't want to mess with "the books", or who are just not serious about learning.

Also, in a small way, your doing your best and passing your checkride the first time is a "gift", since a good pass rate contributes to an easy renewal for the CFI.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. I agree 100%.

I got a chuckle out of it. But, that's just me...

But anyway..... back at the ranch....

After I passed my I.R. checkride, I gave my instructor an expensive bottle of Merlot that we get from our vendor. Showed my gratitude and wasn't awkward.

I've heard of giving Sproty's gift certificates and the like as well.

I've also sprung for dinner a couple of times when a flight was canceled and we did ground.

When I was an instructor (not a flight instructor) our students would typically buy us a meal or if they were of age, a round of drinks. It was completely cool. It was never expected but some of the guys we taught felt thankful for the extra help we gave. Eventually, some of the higher ups felt that this was a horribly wrong thing to do and we had to decline everything after that.

GO NAVY!!! (shaking head in disgust at some of the dumb things we have changed)

Hey Gay pilot18, I got a kick out of your comment. I think you're exactly right that if you made a coment about a girl, every guy on here would have added their two cents and taken the thread deeper into the gutter. Anyone that says different is full of sh*t. Don't ya just hate listening to adults whine?!

Anyway, as far as tipping your CFI(or just buying them crap) I would say don't worry about it. I know that where I'm at CFI's are making somewhere between $19-24/hour. It's there damn job. Seems like everywhere you go these days EVERYONE is expecting a tip. If anything, just take him/her out for a couple beers.

My flight school may be a little tighter knit than most, but my instructor would never take money or a gift certificate from me.
A lot of the instructors and students are friends so beer is most appropriate around here because you get to share in the gift anyway!

Giving them money just seems weird to me. You tip people that serve you, bring your bags to your hotel room, etc. it seems weird to "tip" somone that TAUGHT you not served you. Even though it's the same amount of money, a gift certificate for some reason seems far more appropriate to me then giving cash.

My Korean students would always bring me a gift upon arrival. Usually it was a real nice pen.

Some of my other students would take me out to dinner on occasion, but one of my students for payback for a job well done, would "drag" me into the Pink Poodle in San Jose. While another offered me a front row seat at his "financial wellness seminar" (Amway) -- gack!

I never accepted money, but if you want to buy me a burrito or something, no harm in that, eh?

I had a lesson with a guy in the simulator and afterwards he gave me $7 to go get lunch. It was a nice thought, but i felt wierd. Stick to buying lunch, beer, etc. Tips are for guys delivering pizza or serving you at a resteraunt.

[ QUOTE ]
My Korean students would always bring me a gift upon arrival. Usually it was a real nice pen.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Give him this pen."

Anyone remember the movie that's from?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"Give him this pen."

Anyone remember the movie that's from?

[/ QUOTE ]

No but you are giving a great lead to Gay Pilot.

LMAO........@ lain. Finally someone gets and understands my sense humor.

I was telling my girlfriend about this post yesterday and the wild responses I got to my comment she was all like........

(lol) girlfriend okay think I'm done now for this post.

Everett

The school I work for gives CFI's gift certificates to the local supermarket if students do well on stage checks or check rides. (It's actually kind of cool)
As far as students I have only recieved free beer at the local watering hole after they passed a ride...
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, as far as tipping your CFI(or just buying them crap) I would say don't worry about it. I know that where I'm at CFI's are making somewhere between $19-24/hour. It's there damn job. Seems like everywhere you go these days EVERYONE is expecting a tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a great attitude. I dont think there are any CFIs out there expecting tips. THat $19/hr may sound good, but that doesnt count alot of things. Most of the time, 10 hours at the airport equals about 5 hours worth of paid flying. $9/hr to pay bills, and only source of income doesnt sound so good eh?

I agree that most CFIs don't expect tips, but I'm sure many could use the cash. Upon the suggestion of several of you here, hubbie gave his CFI a case of beer and a nice tip at the end of his training at FSI a week or so ago. Was his CFI expecting it? I don't think so. Was he happy and grateful? Definitely. His CFI was a great instructor, and I know it made hubbie feel good to acknowledge that and show his appreciation.

$19-24/hour may seem like a lot, and it would be a livable wage if you worked 40 hours a week, but how many CFIs are able to teach enough hours to make a decent wage? I'd guess not many.

So guys what do you do when your flight school closes due to bankruptcy?

I'm in Tucson AZ. visiting family for 3-4 days and my cousins best friend (who is freakin hot....I may or may not be talking bout a girl you decide).

Anyways he just told me that his flight school at the TUS international airport closed due to financial problems.

He had like $6,500-8,000 dollars in his personal account with them.

He told me that he heard if from a friend and when he called the flight school they gave him the number to there lawyer and told him

"Hey good luck trying to get your money back" and then abrubtly hung up the phone.

Dude that is sooooooooo wrong. Anyone wanna tell me what I should tell him to do?

Everett

Back