Taking ATP Checkride in a 1979 Cessna 414A?

No endorsement needed to take the ride first time around - if you bust you have to get trained and then a signoff from a CFI.
I would give Jimmy Garland a call at SandS aviation in Georgia. He maintains twin cessnas and also offers recurrent and check out training in these birds. He would be a valuable resource in addressing your concerns, he may also know of a good dpe that understands the needs of the TSIO-520!
www.ssaviation.us
Good luck!

Bp244
This...Jimmy did my requal on the 414. Expert level on Twin Cessna's and a great individual.

I didn't have to shut one down on my ride.
Really? The DPE decided you could skip an item on the PTS?

Yes, you absolutely should. Go find a CFI who would be willing to do some ground with you to help prepare you for the oral, and make sure that he/she has signed off other ATP students before and that they know the examiner's gouge. Also, make sure you find an examiner who will do the Checkride in the 414. I signed off a couple ATP students but the Checkride was always literally straight out of the PTS (as it should be) and there were no surprises. 4 approaches. 2 precision, 2 non-precision, 2 will be single engine. One will be a no-flap landing. You will have to do steep turns and stalls. Expect a rejected takeoff and an engine failure in the air so he can see you work through the problem. Tolerances are mostly +50/-0 on altitudes and speeds. That's the gist of it anyway. Good luck.

I'd make sure the CFI has also flown a cabin class twin before to.

Not asking about a sign off, rather a heads up or some guidance beforehand. Practical benefit, more than legal requirement.
Thanks again
Take Care
Have you not taken a 135 PIC ride in the 414 before? It's the exact same ride with the addition of an actual shutdown. When I did mine I timed it so that I had just done recurrent in the pa31, then that weekend we jumped in a pa44 and did it. The oral is the same topics and the ride has all the same maneuvers.

I'd make sure the CFI has also flown a cabin class twin before to.

It will be hard to find that. Back when I was a full time CFI, I was the only MEI around who had time in various twins that sat 6+ passengers. And I was by far the exception, not the rule.

Is an actual shutdown required? Has it always been this way? I did not get one when I did it. That was in the 80's though.

It will be hard to find that. Back when I was a full time CFI, I was the only MEI around who had time in various twins that sat 6+ passengers. And I was by far the exception, not the rule.
He'd probably be best served by finding a CFI that is an ATP as well. I mean how much use is a CFI that knows nothing about the aircraft? You'd be teaching the CFI everything and he'd be billing you. The CFI he wants to find would probably be someone that does not instruct for a living anymore, or does it part time on the side.

Have you not taken a 135 PIC ride in the 414 before? It's the exact same ride with the addition of an actual shutdown. When I did mine I timed it so that I had just done recurrent in the pa31, then that weekend we jumped in a pa44 and did it. The oral is the same topics and the ride has all the same maneuvers.

No, last checkride I took was Multi commercial about 4 years ago. Looking forward to this one.

Thanks again, Take Care

Really? The DPE decided you could skip an item on the PTS?

If memory serves correct, yes. But I think how long I've had my ATP would have been a more pertinent question. Because from what I remember, that requirement to actually shut one down all the way to the feather is fairly recent. But it's been so long since I did that ride, I barely remember it. I could be wrong. I willingly admit that I'm wrong, a lot.

MAN I Oughta go to Vegas!!

Boss said YES to using the plane for the Checkride. Found an Examiner that can do 414A Checkride in the Rio Grande Valley in McAllen, TX. Tieme to pick up for the oral. And figure out the manouvers!!! Thanks again, everyone

Take Care

Back