Tail Icing Video from NASA

Thanks Doc . . . I had been looking for that (I had seen it before) to post on a SkW Pilot site, so I grabbed it and now hundreds of others have ready access to it as well.

I've been paranoid about icing since I started flying. I know that it, along with thunderstorms, are 2 weather conditions that can bite you really quick. It just worries me that I may be faced with this condition eventually and not make the correct decision in order to save the aircraft. I'm sure this paranoia comes from studying these past icing crashes in which experienced pilots failed to save the aircraft, and all perished. I guess the best practice is to attempt to avoid it all together, even if your aircraft has ice protection. It's obvious that ice protection doesn't guarantee anything if it's bad enough. (and that the autopilot can be your worst enemy at times)

It's inevetible that you will enter icing conditions if you pursue this as career. I picked up some form of ice ranging anywhere from trace to severe everyday that I flew last week. There are two major factors that you have to take into consideration.
One of them being the limitation of your aircraft and the other is always knowing where "an out" is located. What I mean by that is if you enter icing conditions that is very negatively affecting the performance of the aircraft, you should have a pretty good idea of how to get out of the icing conditions. Flying in icing conditions is just a fact of life as a professional pilot.

Back