T.I.P.S.

deek

Just curious if any pilot here has received any tips from a flight. I figure the charter folks might, but not sure about the line guys.

And no, I'm not talking about Blue Horseshoe loves Anacot Steel tips, I'm talking greenbacks here.

$50 yesterday.

Doesn't happen often, but we have a few regulars that tip. One guy is always good for $100 per pilot. Best tip I've seen is $500 split between the two of us.

< edit to add: >
We often tip line guys for good service. $5 to $10 is typical. And just to let you know, I probably spend more tipping the line guys than I recieve from pax, simply because receiving tips is rather scarce while we tip fairly often. The company reimburses us for the tips we give though. :)

When I flew charter to the Islands I often would get tips. Nothing too crazy, but it certainly was a nice gesture.

In a 121 environment I've never even heard of it. I know every once in a while the FAs are told to keep the change on a drink order though.

I get tips like "your landing sucked...why don't you do better next time."

Just kidding. My landings are always perfect

Really, though, my old chief pilot and I both got $500 from one of the principals when we got off the plane in Vegas.

I didn't "tip" my instructor, but I did buy him a Christmas present that year. I still send him a box of Christmas cookies every year :)

I had a couple students (married couple) come over from the UK and I busted my arse to get him and his wife done with their JAA PPL in 3 weeks. He tipped me $400 bucks... Thats the only cash tip I got. Occasionally students would get me a 6 pack or a bottle of liqour after they passed one of their checkrides.

Sometimes the line guys motion wildly at me to leave because the Garrets are making Mr. Smedly Banksta's ears bleed whilst deplaning from his G5. I guess that's more of a "strong suggestion" than a "tip". Luckily, I'm busy copying the ATIS and getting a clearance, so I don't notice.

Boxes don't bitch, but I guess they don't tip either.

I got few "TIPS" when I left my instructor job - few free lunchs. :p

I got tip from a Jetblue Pilot who was taking his family up in 172 for aerial tour of Detroit. I can still remember his 5 years old daughter asked the following questions:

"Where is MFD? Where is PFD? When can we start APU?"

:p

I ocassionaly got tips from the paxs when flying 91/135.
I have never received any in the 121 domestic world.
I have been tipped by clients in the 121 supplimental world though. That suprised me.

In the glider ride business, pilots will get $10/20 every few flights

Only once has someone pulled out a $50 to split between the glider pilot, tow pilot, and the ground people. (me)

Next year I will be a ride pilot getting my tips though. =]

Just curious if any pilot here has received any tips from a flight. I figure the charter folks might, but not sure about the line guys.

And no, I'm not talking about Blue Horseshoe loves Anacot Steel tips, I'm talking greenbacks here.

blue horseshoe loves bluestar airlines

(just watched it last night.)

Here is my rule that I live by:

For as long as I don't receive tips from passengers as a 121 pilot, I will NEVER EVER give one dime to the hotel van driver who picks me up to take me to the Econolodge or Ramada Inn for a horrible night's sleep.

I love it when the hotel van drivers, who probably make more money than I do, look surprised when all they get is a "thank you" for pulling my bags out of the back. What the hell do they expect?! They're just a hotel van driver!

Welcome to the regionals! :D

If we do a sight seeing charter or something occasionally I'll get tipped. Most I got was $200 for a McKinley tour, that was pretty cool.

Back