T.I.P.S.

Here is my rule that I live by:

For as long as I don't receive tips from passengers as a 121 pilot, I will NEVER EVER give one dime to the hotel van driver who picks me up to take me to the Econolodge or Ramada Inn for a horrible night's sleep.

I love it when the hotel van drivers, who probably make more money than I do, look surprised when all they get is a "thank you" for pulling my bags out of the back. What the hell do they expect?! They're just a hotel van driver!

Welcome to the regionals! :D

Going by that logic, you would never tip at a restaurant or bar you went to on an overnight either. It is customary to tip drivers, just as it is to tip waiters and bar tenders. It's not customary to tip airline pilots. If you want a job where you get tipped, apply at Outback.

Pay the guy 50 cents to load your bags and 50 cents to unload them, you cheap bastage. Even on 1st year pay, I figured I could part with a few bucks of per diem that I would get for the trip to tip the van driver.

People like you who don't tip ruin it for the rest of us. Withholding the tip is about the only recourse we have for poor (i.e. late) hotel van service. If no one tips, the van driver has no incentive to empower himself (i.e. track the flight; call ops; etc.) to pick up the crew on time. By not tipping, you are also doing the rest of your crew a disservice. Some crew members count on the van to be able to take them out to eat or to run an errand. Usually these special trips are at the discretion of the van driver as a matter of "availability". Don't expect anything extra if you are too cheap to tip.

It is your choice to not tip, but trust me, you are making an ass out of yourself in front of other members of your crew. Some are probably embarrassed to fly with you. Aviation is a small world as we all know. You never know who you may be making a poor impression of yourself in front of.

Mike

Back to the spirit of the original topic, I have never received nor would I ever expect to receive a tip as a 121 pilot. One time I helped a busy gate agent by wheeling a wheelchair pax down the jetway while I was waiting around to jumpseat home. The pax gave me $5 but it didn't have anything to do with flying a plane. I still took the money. :D On the other hand, a few months ago I was driving home from the airport full monkey, and the lady in front of me came to a stop on a bridge as she had a flat tire. I changed her tire for her real quick and she offered to pay me, but I refused.

I got tipped as a line guy every once in awhile. I was tipped regularly when I drove buses, limousines and towncars. I was also unrightfully stiffed on occasion, so I know what it feels like. I got a huge tip one night driving a party in a stretch limo. That probably covered my first year and a half of van driver tips flying 121.

Going by that logic, you would never tip at a restaurant or bar you went to on an overnight either.

Aren't waitresses paid lower than minimum wage because their pay rate depends on tips? Are van drivers paid less than minimum wage? I know the ones in RDU are paid $12/hr to start, which is about $24/hr in pilot pay or more than first year pay at most companies.

Pay the guy 50 cents to load your bags and 50 cents to unload them, you cheap bastage. Even on 1st year pay, I figured I could part with a few bucks of per diem that I would get for the trip to tip the van driver.
When you gate check a bag when commuting do you tip the ground agent retrieving it for you? I've never seen anyone tip a ground agent before.

People like you who don't tip ruin it for the rest of us. Withholding the tip is about the only recourse we have for poor (i.e. late) hotel van service. If no one tips, the van driver has no incentive to empower himself (i.e. track the flight; call ops; etc.) to pick up the crew on time.
Typically I find the front desk does those duties and relays the information to the van driver. Also lots of things effect van driver tardiness most of which is outside his control, such as picking up/dropping off pax and crew who came before you, shuttle rides to/from downtown or attractions, etc.

It is your choice to not tip, but trust me, you are making an ass out of yourself in front of other members of your crew. Some are probably embarrassed to fly with you. Aviation is a small world as we all know. You never know who you may be making a poor impression of yourself in front of.

Mike
I disagree; IMO it's a personal decision. I never look down on people for not tipping. Why do you? Are you seriously embarrassed if a member of your crew doesn't tip?

FWIW, Poll on Tipping the Van Driver in the airline section here. Also I've since about-faced and now tip.

FWIW, Poll on Tipping the Van Driver in the airline section here. Also I've since about-faced and now tip.

Great thread. The majority of pilots answering the poll said that they do tip the van driver, and the majority of the pilot responses in the thread were unfavorable toward stiffing the van driver. Pilots who do not tip the van driver should read it and reconsider their actions.

Yes, I am mildly annoyed and embarrassed when a fellow pilot does not tip the van driver. To me, if reflects poorly on their character. Believing that is MY choice.

Mike

I figured 121 guys wouldn't tip. But I flew from IAH to EWR on xmas eve and it was pretty crappy weather, nice landing, and the head FA came on the PA and told everyone to give the captain a round of applause, it was kinda sad since like 10 people did, but I did, way to go capt.

When I was working lineservice at KBCT, Vince Mcmahon (spl?) from WWF would fly in on his black challenger and usually tip us a C-note and a plate of steaks or lobsters, untill one of our guys towed his wing into a hanger, then the tips stopped real quick. But there, all our tips were pooled for the shift. There was one rich SOB who was older than dirt, use to tip us a fresh $2 bill from a checkbook of uncut 2's. That was actually kinda cool.

I gave them a box of chocolates and a Christmas card to the crew that flew me home Christmas Eve.

Back