System Control - Is This a Good Job?

BRUSR_ONE

What do you think of a System Controller position for someone wanting to be in Dispatch but will likely have to wait for later openings? Is this a job that dispatchers move up to, or can you get a job before becoming a Dispatcher? Some airlines might call it by different names but those are the people who keep aircraft rotating thru the network, handle delays, out of service aircraft, tail swaps, and any other problems that dispatchers bring to them as I understand it. Like for example if an aircraft is going to be delayed by a GDP how will that effect that plane's down line trips, etc. My end goal (for now) is to be a dispatcher but I wonder if I should go for one of those jobs and make the jump to Dx later. Does anyone have insight into those positions?

What do you think of a System Controller position for someone wanting to be in Dispatch but will likely have to wait for later openings? Is this a job that dispatchers move up to, or can you get a job before becoming a Dispatcher? Some airlines might call it by different names but those are the people who keep aircraft rotating thru the network, handle delays, out of service aircraft, tail swaps, and any other problems that dispatchers bring to them as I understand it. Like for example if an aircraft is going to be delayed by a GDP how will that effect that plane's down line trips, etc. My end goal (for now) is to be a dispatcher but I wonder if I should go for one of those jobs and make the jump to Dx later. Does anyone have insight into those positions?
Most airlines hire those positions from Dispatch. Some do not. If you are looking to get your foot in the door that's a good one to start with, IMO.
FWIW, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in that role after moving up the ranks from Dispatch at the regional I was at.

They typically make a bit more than dispatch, but at a cost. First of all the job has nothing to do with dispatching so if you actually enjoy the work, you’ll miss out. Second, you’re always under the watchful eye of leadership. There’s a crap load of politics over there, at least at my shop.

I don’t recall any dispatchers that went to system control, at least in my time here.

They don't get jumpseat privileges, right?
Depends on the airline. At my regional it was optional for them to maintain dispatch qualifications (recurrent, FAM flights, comp check etc), most did and retained jumpseat privileges. A few did not. At my major it is mandatory, so all of them are fully qualified dispatchers even if the only dispatch shifts they work for the year are OJT and comp checks.

I worked as a cross trained system controller / dispatcher at my last job. I was having to pick up dispatch shifts on my off days but I did so because I wanted to remain current. I enjoyed dispatching more but I learned a lot more about how an airline operates and stays going from an ops perspective. It’s also a nice notch to add on your resume. Training wasn’t and never has been my forte but I still wanted to look better on a resume. So I went the controller route.

Fast forward to my current shop and when I was going through the hiring process, the only other person that was offered an interview at my last place was also cross trained. The other person they hired with me also had experience as a controller/ scheduler. I highly recommend doing it at the regional level. Just don’t dequal from
Dispatch if given the option. If you find you actually enjoy it, if/when you decide to go to the majors then that’s something to consider as well after working as a line dispatcher for however long. Personally, I’m glad I did it, but I much prefer being a dispatcher.

I worked as a cross trained system controller / dispatcher at my last job. I was having to pick up dispatch shifts on my off days but I did so because I wanted to remain current. I enjoyed dispatching more but I learned a lot more about how an airline operates and stays going from an ops perspective. It’s also a nice notch to add on your resume. Training wasn’t and never has been my forte but I still wanted to look better on a resume. So I went the controller route.

Fast forward to my current shop and when I was going through the hiring process, the only other person that was offered an interview at my last place was also cross trained. The other person they hired with me also had experience as a controller/ scheduler. I highly recommend doing it at the regional level. Just don’t dequal from
Dispatch if given the option. If you find you actually enjoy it, if/when you decide to go to the majors then that’s something to consider as well after working as a line dispatcher for however long. Personally, I’m glad I did it, but I much prefer being a dispatcher.
There is truth to this. Back before the big post COVID hiring boom, I noticed at my regional that dispatch alone did not tend to make the cut for the big 6, regardless of how many years of experience. Pretty much everyone hired at the big 6 was either system control dual qualified or involved in training. Straight up dispatchers were mostly only picked up by cargo and ULCC.

Back