Swine Flu Shot

Hootie

Old Skool
Hey Walt, how are you doing? Thank you for all the information you provide all of us in this forum. Curious, do you recommend pilots getting the swine flu shot when it becomes available and they have the chance? What about the regular flu shot this year?
Thanks!
Nate

Here are the recommendations for the "swine flu" vaccine: CDC’s Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) has recommended that certain groups of the population receive the 2009 H1N1 vaccine when it first becomes available. These target groups include pregnant women, people who live with or care for children younger than 6 months of age, healthcare and emergency medical services personnel, persons between the ages of 6 months and 24 years old, and people ages of 25 through 64 years of age who are at higher risk for 2009 H1N1 because of chronic health disorders or compromised immune systems.

We do recommend the regular flu shot however.

So a healthy adult pilot, you wouldn't put in the same category as a healthcare worker? I just was wondering since as pilots we come into contact with all the germs and bacteria of the world. Thanks

I do not plan on taking the 'swine flu" shot.:)

Healthcare workers are different - people cough directly in our face and expectorate on the exam table.:laff: That is deifferent than being basically seperated by 8-10 feet from these folks.

I agree with Doc. Last night, I was intubating a patient...she gagged (as she is immune to paralytics, i guess) and vomited on me. Rapid flu Type A was positive....nice. A good thing we're inoculated with every disease known to man. But doc, I do have a question....has the H1N1 been evaluated by the FDA? The scare among some of us healthcare people here in DFW is that it will turn out to have that small 0.1% chance to cause Guillan Barre or something of that nature. This thing just seemed so rushed to population....is it silly to question the possible side effects of this vaccine?

UTAMAV

Flight Nurse/ Male Nurse/ AKA Gaylord Fokker

I got the flu shot but don't plan on getting the swine flu shot or spray. I personally think the swine flu is being over hyped IMO..Doc, correct me if I wrong, but doesn't H1N1 have the same mortality rate as the normal flu and if you are average healthy adult you should have no problem fighting it off.

I know my Air Ambulance buddies are being asked to get the H1N1 shot to help protect the patients they transport.

You are correct. There are 20,000+ deaths each year in the US due to the "regular" flu and we don't see the hype we see with the "swine" flu. BTW, Tamiflu, which shortens the course of the disease by 1 day, costs $170.

A guy at my work just got the swine flu. Hope he can cook up some bacon for me. Do you normally get the swine flu shot from your doctor? Seems like everywhere around here has nothing.

They are not available to the general public yet.

Do not recommend it. Flu is flu. People who are healthy do not need it. Small children, pregnant women, immunosupressed people are the ones who should take the vaccine.

They are not available to the general public yet.

Do not recommend it. Flu is flu. People who are healthy do not need it. Small children, pregnant women, immunosupressed people are the ones who should take the vaccine.

Yeah I thought it would be a good idea, since I am always around people at work, whether touching their bags or working on a computer that other people touch.

Not to beat a dead horse but my little girl just got the H1N1 and its suggested I also get the shot since my son is inmmuniosuppresed(sp). The only problem is can I take this shot during a layover and be legal for the pm leg back home. And can you take the H1N1 and flu shot at the same time?

Back