Supervised Solo

MidlifeFlyer

Very interesting Chief Counsel opinion on the use of "performing the duties of pilot in command in [an aircraft] with an authorized instructor on board" (commonly referred to as "supervised solo") to meet solo requirements.

You can't mix and match. All of the solo hours need to be either solo or supervised solo. For the commercial ASEL, for example, you can't do your long commercial cross country with a CFI on board and do the rest of the solo requirements by yourself.

2016 Grannis Interpretation

Very interesting Chief Counsel opinion on the use of "performing the duties of pilot in command in [an aircraft] with an authorized instructor on board" (commonly referred to as "supervised solo") to meet solo requirements.

You can't mix and match. All of the solo hours need to be either solo or supervised solo. For the commercial ASEL, for example, you can't do your long commercial cross country with a CFI on board and do the rest of the solo requirements by yourself.

2016 Grannis Interpretation

Wow, usually the FAA chief council is pretty good but it seems like they're doing quite a few legal gymnastics to arrive at this point.

Wow, usually the FAA chief council is pretty good but it seems like they're doing quite a few legal gymnastics to arrive at this point.
This interpretation could easily have gone the way, so I am a bit curious about the "back story," if there is one. FWIW, I have a theory...or rather just a WAG:

Chief Counsel interpretations often reflect Flight Standards policy considerations almost as much as regulatory language. In many cases, it's not as simple as "well, this is what it says." We can point to both old and new ones in which this is the case, especially in Part 61. The safety pilot thing has always been interesting. A PIC safety pilot, under a strict reading of the rules, is not a pilot acting as PIC in an operation that requires more than one pilot. Yet, for decades, the Chief Counsel has clearly said she is. OTOH a safety pilot really is someone conducting a flight in an aircraft that includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure. But the Chief Counsel says he's not and can't log cross country time. But one can come up with decent (although disputable) policy reasons for both. There are plenty others.

The original purpose of supervised solo was to allow a pilot who could not meet insurance requirements for flying a twin to meet solo requirements. If the pilot can meet insurance or FBO policies to fly solo, there's no reason to use the rule. But it would be a problem to administer and enforce a reg that said, "if they'll let you fly solo, you must and can't take advantage of the rule."

Second best to have a disincentive to pilots who can solo simply being too nervous to do a long cross country without a CFI on board but happy to do some local night solo flights (or vice versa). Have them make a choice and stick to it.

But, as I said, just a WAG.

I always thought a supervised solo is when I'm on the ground with a handheld watching the student flying in the pattern.

Has 61.129a(4) always allowed that solo time to not at all be solo time with an instructor on board?

Has 61.129a(4) always allowed that solo time to not at all be solo time with an instructor on board?
61.129(a)(4) (and its predecessors) have always had a solo requirement. Allowing an instructor on board as a substitute is relatively new.

I always thought a supervised solo is when I'm on the ground with a handheld watching the student flying in the pattern.
You are correct. My brain fart. Can't do anything about the title to the thread and the text is too old to edit at this point, but I meant to say "substitute solo."

Good catch!

61.129(a)(4) (and its predecessors) have always had a solo requirement. Allowing an instructor on board as a substitute is relatively new.
I mean, it's right there in the reg. Did they change that in the last few years?

61.129(a)(4) said:
Ten hours of solo flight time in a single engine airplane or 10 hours of flight time performing the duties of pilot in command in a single engine airplane with an authorized instructor on board

I mean, it's right there in the reg. Did they change that in the last few years?
It first appeared in the 61.129 in the 1997 revision for the multi commercial. It was expanded to some other certificates and ratings in 2009.

Back