summer travels

mastermags

Well-Known Member *giggity*
Well, its time to start thinking about summer vacations, and Im hoping to plan something out for late May... it's probably the best time, bc its right after I get out of school, and it will be cheaper than the "summer" season... So, Im up for suggestions. Im really interested in going to Italy, perhaps flying into London spend a day there, and catching Ryanair over to rome or venice... any suggestions and stories are appreciated.

Europe's REALLY expensive in the summer. The other day I was looking at air fares from NYC to Geneva to visit my friend in July, and Continental and Swiss both wanted like over 1300 dollars roundtrip. I think thats incredible, considering it is 6 MONTHS in advance. I have found that its much cheaper to go in the fall or winter. A couple years ago I went to Ireland in February for like 500 bucks rountrip!

This also supports my theory that if a LCC could find a way to actually make trans-atlantic travel affordable, while at the same time make a profit, they would make a fortune. Anyone feel like starting an airline with me?

Ive found a ticket to London in May for $498... once I'm there, I can wait for a decent Ryanair fare to open up... Im really considering going to Italy.

Can anyone tell me how the bus system in Italy is (not the city busses of course)... Eurorail passes are very expensive.

[ QUOTE ]
This also supports my theory that if a LCC could find a way to actually make trans-atlantic travel affordable, while at the same time make a profit, they would make a fortune.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also supports my theory that Germans love David Hasselhoff

[ QUOTE ]

It also supports my theory that Germans love David Hasselhoff

[/ QUOTE ]

grin.gif

If you are going to Europe, Rome is my favorite--May may not be so bad, but I'd avoid it the rest of the summer. Prauge is second on the list, and probably a little more hospitable, climate wise in the summer mos.

I'm taking a european cruise this spring! hoping to hit mediterranian and western europe or northern europe or translantic.. but either way - i'm there!
grin.gif

also gonna hit the family cottage at silver lake, MI

Going to Melbourne & Auckland in May/June. Yes, I know it will be late fall there. I've already been in the southern summer (November/December) so I want to see what fall is like.
smile.gif

I am thinking about doing a Europe trip this summer. My stops would most likely include. (in order) Scotland, London, Amsterdam, Paris, Italy. Anyone who has some suggestions about those places post em' or shout me a P.M, please.

-flycanuck

No way! no PM's
grin.gif
.... when it comes to travel (in summer or not) we all need to know that stuff - where to hit, where not to hit.. recommended hotels etc.. maybe we should create a travel tips forum??? might be cool!!
laugh.gif
smile.gif

well, it's not summer and it's not really a vacation, but I found out I get to go to Banff for a conference in March, looks like for 4 days, will have some free time and probably will be by myself. Anyone been? Got any recommendations on things to do? Good lord that place looks GORGEOUS...

Sarah

I went skiing in the winter there several years ago, and yes, it was unbelieveable. Sunshine, Lake Louise-fantastic skiing. Might be a bit nippy still in March.

The Banff hotel is way cool, with a hot outdoor pool to check out the mountains while sipping on a cocktail.

Lake Louise is nearby and it's pretty much a photographers heaven if you're looking for a glacial lake of brilliant color.

sbe-Is your conference design-related?

My recc.--skip most of the afternoon sessions and enjoy the area. That's what a good conference is all about!

Off to the Tour de France in July! It is going to be quite a contest this year, I can't wait!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Off to the Tour de France in July! It is going to be quite a contest this year, I can't wait!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh man I'm jealous.

France was absolutely beautiful.

Are you going to follow the entire Tour, Ophir? Or will you be going to some things and not others?

That would be one long vacation if you went to all of the stages!

if you want to fly with ryanair or any other low-cost airline(there are plebty of those flying out of london stanstead and gatwick) book in advance!

1. you will get the cheap fares only if you book ~6-8weeks in advance over the internet

2. italy is very nice! make sure that you go rimini as well! rimini is on the east-coast, only about 30min. drive from san marino. all italians spend their hoidays in rimini, so you've got disco's and clubs, you can't count them anymore! and a lot of good-looking nice people hangin' around.

if want precise information about europe-where to go, etc. -just post more detailed questions!

i think i might be able to help you out with almost any question...
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Are you going to follow the entire Tour, Ophir? Or will you be going to some things and not others?

That would be one long vacation if you went to all of the stages!

[/ QUOTE ]

I have done the "all the stages" thing and it is too much! We have evolved the trip into only seeing two to three stages. Next year it will be one in the Pyrenees and then two in the Alpes. Of course we will be seeing Alpe d'Huez. Mostly we just ride the classic climbs and eat!!!!

Back