summer travels

We'll probally rent a house in Rockland, ME. Going to Utah Skiing in Nov, hopfully I'll be going up to Oshkosh this year aswell. Trying to arrange a ride to Sun-n-Fun, but I doubt dad will let me miss school to go there.

[ QUOTE ]
Europe's REALLY expensive in the summer. The other day I was looking at air fares from NYC to Geneva to visit my friend in July, and Continental and Swiss both wanted like over 1300 dollars roundtrip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have bought tons of tickets to Europe over the years - I generally buy them 3-4 weeks out; do not buy them this far out they are always way more expensive. Most of my flights are to London, and the most I have spent was $1000 in the summer staying over 90 days.

[ QUOTE ]
Going to Melbourne & Auckland in May/June

[/ QUOTE ]

I am in Melbourne right now - awesome city!!! Where are you staying?? Crown??

I will be back from Australia in march time, and my plans for the summer is London for a couple weeks at the end of July to watch The Cartier Open.

So, Lain, how much would you suggest paying for a ticket to London.... I went during Thanksgiving break for $433 which i thought was pretty decent.... I found a fare for $500 right now, but I dont know if it will get cheaper or not as the summer approaches.

[ QUOTE ]
if want precise information about europe-where to go, etc. -just post more detailed questions!

i think i might be able to help you out with almost any question...
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright then.... what can you tell me about the Italian bus system (that's not really detailed, but its a start)

If I would have to go around in Italy I wouldn't use the bus system. Besides that it's almost not existing, it is quite expensive and unreliable.
frown.gif

I would choose the trains to get around in Italy. Almost all Italians go by train. They are always late(like everything in Italy), but the Italians don't really care. Besides that, train tickets are quite cheap and can be bought at any train station.
Because the Italians love going by train(of course their "Alfa-Romeo" and "Lancia" comes first!) the train connections are very well! You can go almost wherever you want, just add an hour to the arrival time and you're fine....
smile.gif

Public bus system exist in almost all cities(I can't remember any "bigger" city that hasn't got public transport) and they work quite well. You can buy tickets for the so-calles "tram" (=the name of the Italian company that operates the buses) in any "Tabaccheria" and at specified offices.
Get a "carnet" if you take more than two/three rides. A "carnet" consists of 10 Tickets and you only pay for 8....
grin.gif

Hope this info helps!

If you've got any more questions - just post them here! I will be happy to help anybody of you!

That's all very good to know... It sounds like train is the way to go. What I was planning on doing is taking a day trip from Rome to Pompei (sp?), and maybe head up to Venice for a couple of days...

1) Do you know any good tour operators who conduct tours from Rome to the volcanically survivable challenged city?

2) How much would one expect to spend on a train ride from Rome to Venice?

3) Have you flown into Ciampino airport, and if so, how far away is it from the city and how difficult is it to get into the city from there?

Sorry about the questiions, but I appreciate any answers anyone has for me!

All I know is right now there is about a $200 difference between fares in May and fares in June. So I guess it is.

[ QUOTE ]
That's all very good to know... It sounds like train is the way to go. What I was planning on doing is taking a day trip from Rome to Pompei (sp?), and maybe head up to Venice for a couple of days...

1) Do you know any good tour operators who conduct tours from Rome to the volcanically survivable challenged city?

2) How much would one expect to spend on a train ride from Rome to Venice?

3) Have you flown into Ciampino airport, and if so, how far away is it from the city and how difficult is it to get into the city from there?

Sorry about the questiions, but I appreciate any answers anyone has for me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Forums are made to ask questions and get opinions of other people...
grin.gif

1) I don't know any of those, as some of my Italian friends have taken me around, but I think it wouldn't be hard to find out.....just go there, where all the Italians go, not where all the tourists are hauled to! Remember that during your whole trip in Italy! Always stick to the Italians, they wouldn't choose something bad....

2) http://www.ferrovie.it/

If you understand a little Italian, you can figure out all train timetables and fares.... For your trip: Rome-Venice you can plan on around 5 hours train trip time if you change trains in Bologna, and 6 hours if you take the direct train. The current fare is $47,66 including all taxes and everything, for a second class return ticket. You definitely won't buy first-class anywhere in Italy as there is NO differnce between first and second class!

I would defintely go to Venice if I were you! Don't miss the chance in Venice to catch a boat-ride to the island "Murano"!! You can visit there all the glass-blowing manufacturies and buy them very cheap! Also take a boat-ride to "Burano". They produce all the Masks for the "Carneval" there, which is quite interesting....

3) http://www.adr.it/content.asp?L=3&IdMen=200

I'm wondering if the International carriers really fly into Ciampino, as this Airport is mostly used for domestic and very short flights(20mins-1hr.). Most of the International flights come into Fiumicino, which is by far bigger....look on their website(they have an English Version too!) and you will find very useful transportation information.

BTW, most Airlines start their "high-season" in the middle of June....
cool.gif

I appreciate the response... I have found some good info on the net as far as the underground and buses to and from the airport go. And, no, I speak no Italian, so I guess I will have to learn a little, especially to navigate this website... but thanks a lot.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate the response... I have found some good info on the net as far as the underground and buses to and from the airport go. And, no, I speak no Italian, so I guess I will have to learn a little, especially to navigate this website... but thanks a lot.
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cool.gif
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sbe-Is your conference design-related?

[/ QUOTE ]

b_r: no, it's a power generation conference (my company is a power engineering firm). Although I'm a graphic designer, all of us in the corporate communications dept are responsible for attending various trade shows to help with booth setup/teardown and just manning the booth.

The show has very short hours so I should get lots of free time!

Back