Suggestions at FSI, good job!

The no-drinks-in-the-classroom rule always seemed silly to me....

I believe we've entered the "nit-pick" phase. If prop-turns and no-drink rules are the biggest wanks....considering all those ATA guys out there, I'd say we have it pretty good.

The computers in the Wx room need to be brought into this decade. Still running 95...ouch! And the screen size/resolution! UGH!

Again...small complaints. I miss Nancy the Dispatcher, too. She was fun.

I'd agree on the Wx computers. Painfully slow. I'm pretty sure they're original Pentiums. And that one screen that seems to waver around makes me a little sick when I look at it. All in all though, like Chunk says, things aren't really all that bad. It would be nice if the briefing rooms weren't so dreary and cavelike, but that too is a little nit picky.

I'd like to send a special shout out to the dispatchers though and a special yoyoyo to Stan for setting me up with 4316U earlier today. It's my lucky plane. It got me a 90/90 on the Step V! Well, I might have had something to do with it....
wink.gif

Dave

ps chunk, I had KS

Just curious, I may be attending in the future and am not exactly sure what the term "prop-turns" is. Is it sim time? Thanks.

Prop turn times are times when you should be in the aircraft starting engines(turning props). Usually involves butt-crack of dawn starts, and since you've got to brief up the flight, you need an earlier show time to start doing your paperwork(performance data, weight and balance, etc.)

As for the missing dispatchers, a lot of people are gone/working less. FSA probably had an infrastructure to support 500 or so students with only 200(approx) actually enrolled.

Thanks, now I know what youz guyz are talkin' about.

Maybe if I let the CFI sleep with my sister, I'll let him(or her) pre-flight and do wgt/bal etc. and I can sleep in!!
wink.gif
DOH!!

'Ya never know...

You may be able to bribe the instructor with a couple landings. Once your flying the seminole in step 3 through 5, a landing for the instructor is few and far between.

Use that to your advantage: "pre flight the plane and file the flight plan and I'll let you bring it in."

I only really had about a half dozen early prop turn times. I was lucky because another student enjoyed the early hours and wanted to be done by 1100.

If your in step 2, the key is don't have your instructor schedule you into the computer. Have him sign off your cross country and just go to the flight line whenever you feel like it. Ask for a cherokee and they'll ask "Are you scheduled?" Say " I think? My instructor signed off my X-country, are there any cadets avaiable?" There are always at least VFR-cadets around. Works great when flying solo.

Tony
Trcb777@aol.com

Hey thanks Tony, I do appreciate the tips. I will remember that when I arrive.

Personally, when I did my PPL training here in Ore. I always checked wx, filed and pre-flighted myself. And I always pre-flighted even if someone else took a look just to be on the safe side since it's my butt that going in it.

Sounds like early prop turn is the way to go since you get back earlier and can prepare for classes if you have any that day,right?

As for landings, on my third lesson, on base leg, I said "hey, can I land it?" And he said sure and coached me through it, and ever since then, he never got to make another landing again! Sorry dude, landings are my favorite. Actually he did make a few when showing me things like the forward slip(my other favorite!) and such. He was a great CFI because if I was wasn't quite getting the manuver right he would say " here, let me show you how it looks". It really helped especially on things like the foward slips, landing flares and xwind landings/TO's etc. There is always a bit of him flying with me where ever I go.

well, if you like getting up early, first prop turn time is the way to go. You should have no problems getting that request since most are going to be recovering from a late night at Riverside.

Most don't fly during ground school. At least the guys I new, went at a moderate pace. No flying during ground which left time to golf(Point West-nice course/good rates). Plus you need time to go to the beach(Too hot in the summer. (Beach time - Nov-April) And there's golden tee at Kelly's PUB.

So as you can see, there's alot that needs done...plus working out at leisure square at least 4 days a week. I also went home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, 3 weeks in July(Waiting for CFI Ground school)2 weeks in September, and Thanksgiving again.- CFII done in DEC 21 2002. #57 on CFI wait list. All in all, I had a great time at FSI, met some really cool people and learned more then I ever though I could. The key is to do your flying but also have some fun too, I feel it makes it easier to learn and your not so stressed out.

Tony

I don't understand why I'm still a new user? I signed up over 2 years ago..and started to go to JC about 6 months prior to that. It's causing me many sleepless nights ...lol

Thanks,
Tony

Sounds cool. I like that schedule. All work and no play makes Tony a dull boy
smile.gif

Sounds like I'm gonna like it there quite well.

In the summer, prop-turn go's are great....cooler, less bumps, fewer canx.

I did a prop turn this week...loved it! No traffic, no bumps, no headaches, the rest of my day is free!

Chunk

I got to see a flightsafety seminole today. It is at the Safecon competition here at UND. I have never seen such a full ramp.

I didn't talk to the pilots, but the seminole said Flightsafety on the side and there is a Flightsafety booth set up in the hangar along with many other booths. I even got a free lanyard saying Flightsafety on to hold my ID when I am around the airport!

Back