Suggestion for Forum Change

Windchill

I've noticed that when I post messages here in the East Coast, the time stamped on the post reflects the time out West--what's up with that??? No love for us in the East, and we all know this country is run from the East!
grin.gif

My suggestion would be, if it can be done, why not have all the times in UTC since we as pilots use this on a daily basis???

Just a thought, Doug, if it could go down like that.

Or nevermind since Eagle graciously explained to me how I could do so
grin.gif

You can change your time offset in the MY Home section menu at the top, I have mine set to UTC. so much easier.

OK, that reminds me. I just found out about this whole UTC thing the other day when Corbin was trying to cinvince me why he needs two watches or one fancy pants one. So I am still confused, is this time done in military terms? And does it never change, not even with DST?

It's expressed via the 24 hour clock (0600, 1200, etc.) and it never changes. I'm posting this (from Arizona) at 8:51 a.m., which on the 24-hour clock would be expressed 0851 and UTC is 1554. UTC is nothing more than Greenwich Mean Time (or local time in London) but it is never adjusted for DST.

DST, btw, is mainly an American construction - if I remember correctly.

[ QUOTE ]
And does it never change, not even with DST?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTC time never changes, it is a constant. What does change is the UTC time where you are located. Here in MSP, UTC time is now the current time (+6 hours). Prior to daylight savings time, UTC Time was current time (+5 hours). AT least I hope that's right. My CFI would shake his head if I could not recall that simple detail.

hope it helps.

It appears I had it wrong. here in msp it is currently local time +4 and was local time +5 prior to the time change. Oh well, don't tell my instructor.

You remember correctly. A lot of places don't do the DST thing. There are places in the USA that don't.

DAMN! Went in and changed my display clock and IMMEDIATLEY lost the asthetically pleasing seafoam green background I had.

Now, I'm stuck with this baby-sh*t orange and gray.

My other choices - for all of you who don't know are:

Black-red.... and gray.

Gray... and gray.

The the default - blue... and gray.

crazy.gif

Where can a brotha get some gray????
wink.gif

UTC ~= GMT (Greenwich Mean Time)/'Z' Time (Zulu).. GMT right now is 5 hours ahead of Eastern US Time, or 8 ahead of Pacific.

GMT does not change with our daylight savings, so the differential between it and US times changes with daylight savings (I can't remember if it adds an hour or subtracts). I am not sure if 'Z' time flows with our daylight savings and is always 5 hours ahead of Eastern, but am pretty sure it does not.

The time is given in your traditional 24h clock standard (0600 (6AM), 2200 (10PM) etc.

Edit: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN PEOPLE POST WHILE IM STILL EDITING AND WRITING MINE
grin.gif
LOL..

Lol.. I started writing that before any replies to TheWife's post, and got caught up in a phone call.. I'll leave it up anyway.

Since I'm editing anyways:

DST is annoying! There are specific states (Arizona, Hawaii) that do not use it, and specific areas in other states (Indiana?) that do not, I can imagine it getting confusing, entering a neighboring area in that state and changing the clocks an hour.

Daylight Savings was established along with Time zones (which are however a good idea!) back when the United States was big on Railroading.

[ QUOTE ]
What does change is the UTC time where you are located.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, what changes is the +/- hours needed to convert local time to UTC. For example in SDT if your offset is +7 hours in the summer it might go to +6 (or +8 I can't remember which way it goes ... I think +6 is right, though).

1554 Zulu ("zulu" is slang for UTC) here in Arizona is 1554 In New York and 1554 in Bangledesh and Tokyo. The difference is, 1554 Zulu in AZ is 8:54 a.m. and in New York it's 10:54 a.m.

UTC time is a constant. Local time is the variable.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Corbin was trying to cinvince me why he needs two watches or one fancy pants one.

[/ QUOTE ]A watch that will display a 2nd time zone is actually pretty useful, particularly if you're not accustomed to the 24 hr clock, and one can be had for as little as $35 at Wal-Mart (several Timex & Casios do it). Fancy pants "pilot" watches make nice Christmas presents, though!
grin.gif

My fairy cheap, not so bad Forester (I like the woven green wristband, not cheap rubber; not into wearing metal yet
cool.gif
) has a main analog display, and two digital displays, so I find that pretty useful. One digital set to what I have on my analog display (but in 24h), and one at GMT(also 24h), that is, unless I'm traveling at which it would be set to whatever timezone I'm leaving, going to etc.

I can admit though that if I was busy flying, I'd enjoy a nice complex watch
laugh.gif

I tell him you tried for him! But it aint happening, lol! The boy WILL NOT wear a WalMart watch. His parents raised him on brand names, so he is a brat. If he were actually a paid pilot right now, I might consider it. But he won't really need this fancy zulu time watch until he is doing more then flying circles around the lake. He wants that Blue Angles (I think???) one that is like $300.

Any of the Citizens are fine watches. But he better get over his "brand name" obsession if he wants to be a pilot ... 'cause he's gonna be poor for about the next 15 years!
crazy.gif
shocked.gif
cool.gif

I use a Timex Triatholon watch. $35 at Target. Two timezones on the watch. I set one to local time and the other to UTC. Easy Enough....

No kidding. I haven't bought brand name Coke (except out of machines) in about 6 months. We've even discovered that store brand mac & chesse and hamburger helper taste the same as the real stuff.
smile.gif

Oh, my friend has the Thunderbirds version of that Blue Angels watch. It's expensive, but someone explain to me why it has an E6-B on the face? I can't imagine trying to actually use the thing in a shaky C-172 since you need a magnifying glass to read the numbers.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, my friend has the Thunderbirds version of that Blue Angels watch. It's expensive, but someone explain to me why it has an E6-B on the face? I can't imagine trying to actually use the thing in a shaky C-172 since you need a magnifying glass to read the numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's "cool" to geeks like pilots. You can't really use it in flight (on a smooth enough day you can but if you're in the air you probably have a real E6B laying around somewhere) but for sitting around and making quick time/distance/speed calculations it can come in handy. Although almost anything you can do on the watch you can do in your head.
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
He wants that Blue Angles (I think???) one that is like $300.

[/ QUOTE ]

Consider yourself lucky. What was the price tag for the Brietlings and the Heuers we were looking at in Vegas, Ophir and FlyChicaga? Didn't they start at like $3,500 and go up from there?

I dunna. I'd have a hard time putting a chunk of metal on my arm that's worth as much as a decent car!

I have stumbled across the best watch a person can get...

It is a Casio Wave Ceptor....It corrects itself to atomic time every night via the tower in CO....The best thing about it is...atomic time is Zulu time....I have zulu on top and standard eastern on bottom....when i change time zones, i just set the watch to -6 for the central...nothing to it

I haven't "calculated" zule for almost a year now....just glance down at my watch.
smile.gif

Back