Study tips!

Maximilian_Jenius

Super User
Currently in the process of studying for my multi-engine add-on for next next month. All of us being pilots at different aspects of our careers, we've all had to study to graduate. I wanted to get some feed back about how everyone studies/study tips.

The place that I'm going sent me a packet with the 60 questions that will be asked during my oral. But also an overview and procedures of all the multi maneuvers that we will fly during the checkride. The procedures overview can be chair flown with a cockpit poster, so not really too worried about all of that. But what about the 60 questions? Well, it's mostly rote memorization, but I'm really wondering if I'm making it harder on myself. And if I'm out here like Kash Doll an Doin' Too Much.

How I'm currently studying:

I'm rewriting all the questions and answers down on a Microsoft Word document from the original. Writing the questions down seems to really help me commit it to memory, but its time consuming. Is this a good method? Is there a better, faster why to retain rote knowledge? What works for you, what doesn't? I'm all ears for suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20210804_193537.jpg
    20210804_193537.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 76
Currently in the process of studying for my multi-engine add-on for next next month. All of us being pilots at different aspects of our careers, we've all had to study to graduate. I wanted to get some feed back about how everyone studies/study tips.

The place that I'm going sent me a packet with the 60 questions that will be asked during my oral. But also an overview and procedures of all the multi maneuvers that we will fly during the checkride. The procedures overview can be chair flown with a cockpit poster, so not really too worried about all of that. But what about the 60 questions? Well, it's mostly rote memorization, but I'm really wondering if I'm making it harder on myself. And if I'm out here like Kash Doll an Doin' Too Much.

How I'm currently studying:

I'm rewriting all the questions and answers down on a Microsoft Word document from the original. Writing the questions down seems to really help me commit it to memory, but its time consuming. Is this a good method? Is there a better, faster why to retain rote knowledge? What works for you, what doesn't? I'm all ears for suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Everyone learns differently, period, dot, period, so what works for one may be horrid for another.

Personally, I’m the type that doesn’t do well with rote memorization. I need to actually understand why the correct answer is what it is. That said, I think a variation of your thought of writing the question would work for my style of learning. I would rewrite/reword the question, because if I can put the question in my own words I will also understand why the correct answer is, uh, correct.

Seeing as how we are rather different personality types (love ya bro!), what works for my style of learning probably isn’t what you need. :cool:

Practice speaking it, aloud, and have a conversation on the material (or have someone ask you questions). After all, your checkride is an interview….doesnt matter what you stuff in your noggin, if you cant communicate it.

I made my own flash cards on 4x6 index cards, handwritten, for my CFI oral. I also practiced writing/teaching the answers using a white board.

Are you really doing it in a PA23-150?

if so, then the only question in your oral should be “Tell me about single engine performance in this airplane?” “It is non-existent.” “Good answer, let’s go fly.”

if so, then the only question in your oral should be “Tell me about single engine performance in this airplane?” “It is non-existent.” “Good answer, let’s go fly.”

I mean, it will take you to the forced landing site….perhaps not the one you are wanting or desiring, but still, there is some performance there to speak to, to be completely nitpicky. :) :)

ATFQ and nothing more, let them ask for additional information. For example:

A) "tell me about the engines"

B) "they're Lycoming O-320 engines"

A) "what kind of props?"

B) "Hartzel full feathering"

A) "what's the oil capacity?"

B) "8 quarts, but 6-7 is normal in this plane"

etc. etc.

Don't set yourself up for questions you don't need to answer, but also understand the systems well enough you can do so if needed.

ATFQ and nothing more, let them ask for additional information. For example:

A) "tell me about the engines"

B) "they're Lycoming O-320 engines"

A) "what kind of props?"

B) "Hartzel full feathering"

A) "what's the oil capacity?"

B) "8 quarts, but 6-7 is normal in this plane"

etc. etc.

Don't set yourself up for questions you don't need to answer, but also understand the systems well enough you can do so if needed.

Max, there’s no better feeling of success and winning, like being able to dig whatever rabbit hole for yourself you can during the ground eval, no matter how deep, and double-dog dare them to chase you down it as far as it can go.

:)

There are two types of oral questions. The first is things with a specific correct answer. How much oil. Tell me the procedure for an engine loss. What is the Vmc speed. Memorize these. The second type of question is a knowledge/understanding question. Why do you bank 5 degrees into the good engine? Why is it that on some planes the instructor has to block the rudder during a Vmc demo? This second kind of question requires that you not only understand the underlying physics, but also can put them into words. These sorts of responses shouldn't be memorized. Understand the sub system, and then get comfortable talking about it forward and backwards. Some that may not be possible until you actually experience it in the plane, but if you limit the number of instances like that, and get really good with everything else before hand, you'll be in good shape.

First off stop overthinking. If it means anything I tend to overthink to a fault. Just take a deep breath and relax. You have a month to prep which is more than enough.

Second break things down and be zen. For example take a day (or half a day) to focus and run though systems. Take another day to work on flows. Then another to think IFR stuff and so on.

Speaking of being Zen don’t be shocked or get in a rush when you lose a engine. When you lose a engine take your time to sort it out.

Addendum: If *I* of all people can do this than so can you.

Last edited:
There are two types of oral questions. The first is things with a specific correct answer. How much oil. Tell me the procedure for an engine loss. What is the Vmc speed. Memorize these. The second type of question is a knowledge/understanding question. Why do you bank 5 degrees into the good engine? Why is it that on some planes the instructor has to block the rudder during a Vmc demo? This second kind of question requires that you not only understand the underlying physics, but also can put them into words. These sorts of responses shouldn't be memorized. Understand the sub system, and then get comfortable talking about it forward and backwards. Some that may not be possible until you actually experience it in the plane, but if you limit the number of instances like that, and get really good with everything else before hand, you'll be in good shape.
This; an adequately experienced (or awake) evaluator is going to know if you're simply reciting or actually understanding the latter type of question, too, and will get you into a position where you'll flub it wonderfully if it is a mere recitation of assembled facts, vice an understanding thereof. The Duck is right too as you may not completely "get" it until you've seen and experienced and done it once (or a few times, even), as far as the dynamics go.

for operations at single-engine service ceiling in this area, call the Bureau of Land Management at...

I'm horrid at rote (mostly because I'm going to grumble "why do I have to memorize a number on the placard in full view of my face when I'm operating the airplane"), and I only have any luck doing that stuff by writing it out long-hand. Typing doesn't do it for me, as I can type a hundred words per minute without actually thinking about any of 'em (yay, millennial).

In all seriousness, the multi rating focuses on two things, aerodynamics and aircraft systems. The aerodynamics side will be about losing 50% of thrust equals 80% loss in performance and what helps/ hinders single engine performance. Such as feathered prop, gear up, 5 degree bank angle. On the systems side, you’ll dive into the feathering propeller mechanism and cross feed fuel valves.

The PA23 is very docile, and nothing happens fast - even when both engines are running.

As I remember it the ME ride was pretty simple. In 1978 a ME ride was a ME ride. No additional ride for instrument or commercial. I did mine in an Aztec with 250 hp on each side. Other than the ME performance questions...
  • Flaps and landing gear, how do they work?
  • If you lose an engine will that prevent the flaps and landing gear from retracting/extending?
  • How to extend the landing gear manually.
  • Can the landing gear be retracted on the ground? Why not? How does it work?
  • If you land gear up what's the first thing you should do? Put the gear lever down and swear in was down when you landed. (I'm kidding)
  • How to burn off the fuel tanks? IIRC Fuel returned to the inboard tanks. If you started on the outboard tanks the inboard would overflow. I may have that backwards.
  • What if the aft baggage door opens in flight? Full Emergency, disrupts airflow over elevator. Assume the PA-23 150 is the same.
  • How does the cabin heater work? Fuel burn of the cabin heater?
  • Weight and balance, of course

The -180 Geronimo version was one of those most fun airplanes I've flown, on the other hand. Although slightly less fun because I always felt like that particular one was going to try to disassemble itself at any second.

The -180 Geronimo version was one of those most fun airplanes I've flown, on the other hand. Although slightly less fun because I always felt like that particular one was going to try to disassemble itself at any second.

Indeed, the Geronimo conversion has a nice improvement on SE performance. The Geronimo I flew was the owner’s pride and joy - it was mint. Definitely not a trainer or used as a freighter. Even the throttle quadrant was rigged properly - all the levers were matched at cruise, a concept unheard of in any other PA23 I’ve flown.

Back on track for Max, be sure to ask about and fully understand the hydraulic system. While coming up and earning ratings, this is where you start to see hydraulic systems in light trainers (other than brakes). Is it one pump or two and if only one, why does that matter to you?

Back