Students

[ QUOTE ]
If a potential student has his heart set on taking his last part-141 checkride and then hopping into an RJ seat at 300 hours in today's job market is being largely mislead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't mean to nitpick but the ASA program involves I think an aditional 300hrs of advanced aircraft training including 30-60hrs in a level D Saab 2000 simulator, so that's actually about 600hrs TT before getting into the RJ.

But I agree with what your saying, no jobs are an easy do atm. Me personally I think I'd like to go the instructor route instead, 1 because I think it will ultimatly make me a better pilot and 2 I think I might actually enjoy it, I love sharing my knowledge with others. Actually I even wouldn't mind flying turboprops for a airline either, heck I love the things I look forward to each time I get to ride in one.

I have heard that part 141 may slow good students down too, but on the other hand I tend to work better with a secedule to work to.

I decided to chose FSA because I think it's the best non-military training you can get, yes it's more expensive but I think your getting your money's worth. Plus I don't know many places that have a history of airlines coming to the school in seach of pilot canadites.

PS Sorry to whoever started this posting, I think it's gone a bit off topic haha

[ QUOTE ]
[.

ERAU was a fantastic school, but very expensive and only one of many choices available when trying to get your career started off.

I'm happy with my education at ERAU, but I think I'd be doing a disservice if I constantly championed and cheered for the university. Personally, I believe tuition has gotten way out of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree 100%

Reference my comments on the Pan Am forum. 61/141 are about all the same; young instructors with no more experience than the studs they're teaching

Re: Dear CLR...

DE727UPS, first of all I do respect the owner of the site. You must remember that he put these forums on here for a reason. Allthough I like a little controversey every now and then I always look forward to Dougs response. He always puts things into perspective even if we do disagree on a few minor things. As far as UPS 747's out of BFI... I know my friend in question used to fly the stretch DC8 before the 74 but I am not sure where from. If they do not fly the 747 out of BFI then please tell me what it and several others were doing on the ramp a few years ago when he walked me through the cockpit. I do know he flew out of the East Coast for awhile. I guess I will have to ask him where he fly's them big birds out of now. ILS

i see this is an old thread with no recent posts, anyways i thought the original question was if anyone goes to westwind, i'd like to hear from some current students, good or bad, ups and downs of the school, how many of you are finishing at or under budget, also like to hear from past students and what kind of success there having in the industry, any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time

Name Stealer!
tongue.gif
haha just kidding, welcome to the boards bro, even though its off topic, i like your name

chehalis really doesnt have much of an airport, it wasnt bad untill wal-mart came to town, consumed a portion of the runway, it floods when we have major flooding, they had an area built up above flood level for the planes, but now strip malls are being build on that portion, its owned by centralia and chehalis, so politics have always stoped it from growing, the flight training there isnt nothing to brag about, you would be a fool to go there when olympia airport is 25 mins away, the best part about it is there are three lears stationed there, which fly over my house, which is nice to hear the music comin from those turbins, and a 150 with i belive a 150horse engine?( maybe its a 100) they use for fire watches that i flew about twice when i was 13 with an uncle of mine, they also use it for towing gliders, so thats about the good points of it, other than that it sucks

hello, well, to myself it looks like, but if anyone is still reading this i found this quote interesting, " to start aircraft systems and simulator training. Flight Safety International became our surrogate home for the next five weeks." this if from a story about a guy that got hired buy a regional, the link is http://www.avweb.com/news/careers/182542-1.html , very good story, recommend you read it, but as far as them sending him to flight safety kind of says a lot about the school, haven’t read that about another school's, just my two measly cents, maybe it will help someone choose a school, the more i learn and the more people i talk to it looks like flight safety is worth the extra money

Flight Safety has a good reputation that has been built by many years of quality training. i dont know much about the school, i do know that many airlines send their pilots to FS. is it worth the extra money? i dont know. but many people on this site have said before, it doesnt matter where you get your training from, as long as you meet or exceed the min. requirements for the airlines.

i visited westwind a few months ago. they have a nice operation. everyone there was very friendly. i think students there would have good personal relationships with not just their instructors but everyone on the staff because everyone thier seemed laid back, and easy to get along with.

[ QUOTE ]
i visited westwind a few months ago. they have a nice operation. everyone there was very friendly. i think students there would have good personal relationships with not just their instructors but everyone on the staff because everyone thier seemed laid back, and easy to get along with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what everyone notices when they visit, but it changes once you start attending! Most people here are laid back, but there are several "bad apples" that ruin it. Flight Safety sounds like a better bet. If I started over again I would go there.

Back