student pilot question

Wow! Thanks everyone for your insightful answers....now I am more confused than ever.:buck:

Seriously though: thanks for the answers.

Now: another question or two.....

1. Even on wikipedia I cant find the meanings of the following (and it's not in my "cleared for takeoff" student book either):
Vmc, Vsse, Vxse, Vyse, VLo, VLe

2. Not related to my open-book test, but is there a good website regarding density altitude calculations and such?

Wow! Thanks everyone for your insightful answers....now I am more confused than ever.:buck:

1. Even on wikipedia I cant find the meanings of the following (and it's not in my "cleared for takeoff" student book either):

2. Not related to my open-book test, but is there a good website regarding density altitude calculations and such?

1. The first 4 are multi-engine speeds that you probably don't need to worry about right now. Vlo is maximum landing gear operating speed. Or, the speed you can fly around with the landing gear out. Vle is landing gear extension speed. Or, the maximum speed you can extend the landing gear.

2. I don't have a good website for you. Sorry.

Well, you are a lawyer, isn't that assumed:D

I can imagine many scenarios where a solo student would have to divert, but it would not be an emergency. Let me give you a scenario and ask you a question. You have endorsed a student for a solo cross country, when he approaches his destination airport he learns that an airplane before him has landed gear-up and closed the runway, so he diverts to an airport that is not on his cross country endorsement.

Now my question, can he take-off to either continue on his cross country or return home without another endorsement, or is he "grounded" until you or another instructor gives him another cross country endorsement?

Something similar happened to me on my first Solo XC. I had some really bad weather (thunderstorms coming in) so I was about to divert, I did manage to get to my destination (but it was not my final leg). I remained there overnight and the next day my instructor faxed me a new endorsement so I could take off and fly back again.

I'm sure you have a FAR-AIM republication among your materials. Look at FAR 1.2

Vlo is maximum landing gear operating speed. Or, the speed you can fly around with the landing gear out. Vle is landing gear extension speed. Or, the maximum speed you can extend the landing gear.

Other way around.

Vlo = maximum speed that you can move the landing gear.
Vle = maximum speed that you can have the gear extended.

Here's an online density alt. calculator:
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_da.htm

Here's an E6B emulator:
http://www.lowapproach.com/e6b.html

You should be comfortable calculating things on the E6B. You can get DA from the E6B, so bust out the manual and see what you can do with it.

This has me thinking:

1. Is there a subsection here for these kind of useful webpages? My instructor pointed me in the direction of www.DUAT.com the other day and I was seriously impressed.

2. Anyone know of FREE palm pilot applications for flying?

cool, thanks for all the recommendations......now i just need to make it through my solo checkride and then....solo!

1.) I suggest purchasing the manual for your aircraft. It should have all the numbers you need. Mine was about 30 bucks and well worth it. It's basically a copy of the POH.

2.) E6-B?

Edit: Ahh, I see most people have already answered such stuff. I would also get comfortable using the E6-B. I used the whiz wheel for my private written, it really is a simple computer to use. You can do multiplication, division, fuel burn etc. much quicker than anything you could ever do electronically. Of course I haven't used it in months and need to start remembering how for when I start my X-Country.

Back