Strapped for pilots, Republic asks partners to reduce flights

That's because most guys are uneducated about the industry that apply to a regional, and don't realize that most of those bonuses that lure them to said regional aren't contractual and may be gone at a moments notice.
My regional CPT pay is still higher than those offering bonuses. Of course the attitude of many is that kind of pay does not matter- a regional captain should not be there past 10 years so any payscale past 10 years is pointless.
Oh well.

Nobody (and I mean NOBODY) was bidding reserve intentionally at USAir between say... 1996 and 2008.

Post-concessions, you're absolutely right. USAirways was basically just a glorified regional at that point, anyway. But when Contract '98 was in full force, I know guys who were bidding it. Bidding stand-ups, too, and making incredible coin doing so. The good old days.

The greatest piece of wisdom I have ever known about the airline business, I read a long time ago in Aviation Week and Space Technology,

"No airline ever suffered from under-capacity"

Instead of throwing more and more flights in the air, and then scrambling around trying to crew them, how about we raise fares, curb some demand, park some airplanes, and shift flying back to mainlines. Staffing problems solved. ATC delay problems solved. Regional outsourcing solved.

<looking for the "I'm only half-joking" emoticon>

The greatest piece of wisdom I have ever known about the airline business, I read a long time ago in Aviation Week and Space Technology,

"No airline ever suffered from under-capacity"

Instead of throwing more and more flights in the air, and then scrambling around trying to crew them, how about we raise fares, curb some demand, park some airplanes, and shift flying back to mainlines. Staffing problems solved. ATC delay problems solved. Regional outsourcing solved.

<looking for the "I'm only half-joking" emoticon>
I'm all for it. Unfortunately, that's like saying the solution to world peace is just having us all get along.

Back