Stolen ATP Cessna 172 Crash

Pretty sure most of the “just rent an apartment in BFE Nebraska it’s so cheap!” Folks haven’t tried to rent an apartment lately and have never tried to find a decent job in a • rural area

How about a middle ground away from either extreme?

Look for overall value. There are a ton of decent small-ish areas that are not crazy expensive nor hard to find jobs if you actually have a marketable skill.

I did a quick search of cities based on population size. When you look at places in the 100k-300k population range, there are plenty of options. I'm looking at Cincinnati, Des Moines, Fort Wayne, St. Louis, Madison, Lubbock, Huntsville, Little Rock, Sioux Falls, and on and on.

Come to think of it, we could maybe call this the Regional Jet Test. If the city is big enough to have it's own airport, but small enough that it mostly gets regional jets, it's on the list.

Show up in any of those cities and I guarantee you'll be able to find a job as a teacher, nurse, HVAC technician, computer programmer, salesman, police officer, or whatever reasonably common thing you want to do in life.

Saying a person should move to the middle of nowhere for a low cost of living is as ridiculous as telling them they will only find work in LA or NYC.

Pretty sure most of the “just rent an apartment in BFE Nebraska it’s so cheap!” Folks haven’t tried to rent an apartment lately and have never tried to find a decent job in a • rural area

Also, I doubt this will be a popular sentiment, but I can't help but notice that most of the people one here saying it's actually still easy to afford housing these days are legacy pilots. It's a little different for those in the lower tax brackets.

Look for overall value. There are a ton of decent small-ish areas that are not crazy expensive nor hard to find jobs if you actually have a marketable skill.

I did a quick search of cities based on population size. When you look at places in the 100k-300k population range, there are plenty of options. I'm looking at Cincinnati, Des Moines, Fort Wayne, St. Louis, Madison, Lubbock, Huntsville, Little Rock, Sioux Falls, and on and on.

Come to think of it, we could maybe call this the Regional Jet Test. If the city is big enough to have it's own airport, but small enough that it mostly gets regional jets, it's on the list.

Show up in any of those cities and I guarantee you'll be able to find a job as a teacher, nurse, HVAC technician, computer programmer, salesman, police officer, or whatever reasonably common thing you want to do in life.

Saying a person should move to the middle of nowhere for a low cost of living is as ridiculous as telling them they will only find work in LA or NYC.
You did LOOK at the cities on your list, right?

Also, it’s incredibly arrogant to imply that only certain trades deserve to afford housing. The people who make your coffee or your cocktails, scan your groceries, etc should be able to afford housing too.

Also, while I’m on this tangent, we insist that people should just move where the jobs and the affordable housing are, and wonder why we have so much trouble with loneliness and disconnectedness.

Last edited:

Most of those mid-size cities have caught up with the major cities in housing costs now. I couldn't help but laugh that you included MSN on your list- as someone originally from there, it's incredibly expensive for a city its size and has been for years.

Most of those mid-size cities have caught up with the major cities in housing costs now. I couldn't help but laugh that you included MSN on your list- as someone originally from there, it's incredibly expensive for a city its size and has been for years.

I knew when I threw out the list there'd be someone promptly jumping in to correct me about something.

I'm not a real estate expert on every single market. I pulled up Zillow to check out Madison and you're right, it seems higher than surrounding areas. There are plenty of sub-$300k homes in surrounding smaller towns. A person could always buy one of those and commute 30-40 minutes into Madison for work.

Or not. My point still stands, a person doesn't have to choose between extremes.

yeah! Just live in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest and spend 10% of your waking hours just driving to and from work! sounds awesome! It’s definitely ok that that’s the only way you can stay financially ahead! Oh, and for half of those places good luck if you’re not, conservative, white, and religious!

Also, I doubt this will be a popular sentiment, but I can't help but notice that most of the people one here saying it's actually still easy to afford housing these days are legacy pilots. It's a little different for those in the lower tax brackets.
Everyone defines affordable somewhat differently. Here's a scenario to consider...

$80k/year income. That's above average, but far from legacy pilots.

With a $16k down payment, 6.5% interest rate, you can buy a $235k house for $2000/month.

Or just rent a place for $2000/month. That's 30% of your income going to housing.

Either way, that's a very attainable thing in most of the cities I listed.

yeah! Just live in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest and spend 10% of your waking hours just driving to and from work! sounds awesome! It’s definitely ok that that’s the only way you can stay financially ahead! Oh, and for half of those places good luck if you’re not, conservative, white, and religious!

I guess everyone in the Midwest lives terrible lives in squalor?

Is a 30 minute minute commute really that awful? I mean, it's not ideal, but not the end of the world. Put on a podcast and cruise.

As for the conservative, white, and religious bit, not sure what to say. A lot of places are what you make them.

Harsh narcotics essentially de-criminalized, ensuring ready access probably hasn't helped either. IMHO, we are raising a generation of chemically induced neurotics. We ain't talking about someone who feels sad one day or has to check the door lock 3 times before they go to bed, but people that have had actual physiological/neurological damage (probably irreversible) done by the $4it they're buying on the street.

"Buh mah weedz helps my sprained ankle and Starbucks was out of soy milk!", yea, well, todays MJ isn't your California ditch weed. My DEA buddy (chemistry PhD, works in their lab) tells me that even the garden variety $4it they sell today is WAY more potent than the 70s version. They've refined it to the n-th degree, and what really blows me a away is that the same people that insist that only "organic" oats grown in virgin soil, bathed gently in llama manure and exposed to the gentle melodies of Zamfir, master of the pan flute go into their Cheerios, yet turn a blind eye and tokes down every day with the CRISPr modified hyper-weed some dark-jedi spliced together in their basement, that may or may not be laced with fentanyl (which WILL turn your lights out).

Therapy and gentle admonishment from your court assigned case worker ain't going to ween you off this stuff. It is hard core, and if @Maximilian_Jenius were to jump in, I'm sure we'd get a lot of stories of people who have absolutely double-broiled their noodle on this stuff.

@Richman in the early 2000's with all the synthetic drugs like Spice and Bath Salts, yeah it was a pretty bad time. I worked weekends, so we got a lot of people admitted for "drug induced psychosis" or "drug induced schizophrenia". They were wild and strong when hopped up. So lots of fights and seclusions. Today I see it a bit with meth, but you just give them some Haldol and they tend to sleep it off and quickly recover, if they're not too far gone up there. In today's world in the ER or psych ward, it's all about the other popular synthetic, fentanyl. But they're not psychotic, they're just dying.

You did LOOK at the cities on your list, right?

Also, it’s incredibly arrogant to imply that only certain trades deserve to afford housing. The people who make your coffee or your cocktails, scan your groceries, etc should be able to afford housing too.

Also, while I’m on this tangent, we insist that people should just move where the jobs and the affordable housing are, and wonder why we have so much trouble with loneliness and disconnectedness.

I see you added more after I replied to your initial question.

I'm not implying only certain trades deserve to afford housing.

I'm saying when people are willing to move away from high cost of living areas the math gets dramatically easier across the board, and they don't need to go to a town of 2000 people for it to work.

A person making $30k/year could dedicate 30% of their income to housing and that comes out to $750/month. You're right, it's going to be difficult to get a mortgage on that kind of money, but you can get a respectable older 1 bedroom apartment in most of those cities for $750, or split a larger home with a roommate for $1500/month no problem.

Some of this argument might just come down to what you consider an acceptable standard of living versus what I consider acceptable. Age of building, amenities included, proximity to work, etc. There are a ton of factors in play.

You realize when my (actual)boomer parents bought a home in 1980 the interest rate was 14%? And you actually had to like qualify for it. Show up to a bank in business clothes and make your case as to why the bank should loan you money.

You want to buy a house? You want to retire? I can show you how to do it. But you aren't going to like it. Because it isn't easy. Or what society calls normal. But it is 100% possible to do both right now.

Worry about the things you can change. Stop fretting over stuff you have ZERO control over.

I'm perplexed. Do people not know what a loan is before they get one? Honestly, this is a societal problem. A huge one, and it's the reason we allow our government to continue to rape us in taxes. For what? This?

It baffles me when those that have third degree burns complain about them when they willingly stuck their hand in the fire.
My grandparents house in San Diego with inflation and 14% would be just a tick over $240k in 2024 dollars. Where can you find that in San Diego. Even in the Midwest that is hard to find. He qualified on a single income that came with a pension and free healthcare as a mechanic working as a civil servant. Grandma stayed at home with the kids. As my dad likes to say, the good old days.

Not sure how we fell off into a tangent about home ownership and responsible borrowing.

My point was imagine making the investment in flight training and realizing that it didn't remedy underlying depression; or something triggered the depression during the training period and not having the ability to seek help without throwing your investment and passion down the gutter. Must be a terrible position to be in especially if one is not able to make clear decisions.

I'd also caution that our community is fairly small. Less than 10% of the folks perusing JC right now are logged in as a user. Might be worth taking a second or two to digest what you typed, think about how a friend or family of the victim might interpret your post, then hit the save button.
This is a good post, I like reading it. Best of all I understand it.

I'll open up a bit and admit some personal sh-t, that, well... I've been depressed, recently even a bit bitter. Depressed, but not having depression, i.e. clinical depression, there's a stark difference. So, I guess that means that I'm on track to be a good pilot. right? (insert laugh track) Like @ZapBrannigan I've had a lot of bad luck in aviation, but more so with a lot of disappointments and failed starts. I started this journey in 2001, got my PPL, then 911 happened. Tried to restart again in 2007/2008 and well, we all remember what happened then. Got back into aviation again in 2018, then COVID happened. Just one bad thing after another. I actually had a time building job, with an aerial survey company post "graduation" from primary flight school, circa May 2020. But that was the height of COVID and they shuttered classes indefinitely. Then my flight school closed down temporarily due to COVID, so I wasn't able to start my instructor ratings. I returned home.

Now there's no 200 hr CFI's at any of the schools here in PHX, they all went to the regionals. So the chief pilot is now in the role of CFI instructor, at some of local schools, but he/she only one person. Creating a back log/wait list. One school in the valley has an eight month wait list currently. Then there's the national DPE shortages. Captain shortages at the regionals, flooding the industry with 1500 hr. FO's, or FO candidates. Lots of competition out there at many levels in aviation from lowtime jobs to regional FO. Also the very real risk of a furlough in the future with my luck, if I can actually even get my foot in the door finally. I don't know if it was entitlement on my part or not, honestly I go back and forth on the topic. But I finally thought that it was my time in 2018 after a lot of repeated misstarts. But I returned back home to AZ. feeling rather sullen and defeated. I was in quite a glut. It's definitely colored my thinking a lot, I've thought about just giving it all up, due to all the constant road blocks put in my path, that maybe aviation isn't for me. But I'd like to think that I wasn't a quitter, so I press forward. Especially after my nearly $100k investment in this career as you mentioned and the repeated failures/miss starts that I've experienced along the way in the past fifteen years.

Family and friends calling/texting me asking me constantly about my progress, or the lack there of. Asking me why aren't you a CFI yet? You're not an airline pilot yet? Insinuating that I'm making excuses for my lack of moment currently, that I'm not trying hard enough, or that I'm lazy, or unmotivated. That I better hurry up, or that my dream will be dead, yeah that isn't exactly helping either. There's been a glut of that lately saying that they're doing it because they care and just want to see me succeed. But their love and motivation seems more like a •ing blunt instrument at times. I'm a career changer, but I didn't change my career like I'd hoped, still working an hourly job in psych and I definitely didn't have $200k in savings to knock everything out all at once, unfortunately. Congrats to those that did. A then 19 yr. old kid I was in school with in UT. just got hired at a legacy, his family paid for his time building and he was in the right place at the right time as a result to get a 135 jet job flying a PC-24. That's life though and you can't compare your situation to others, it will eat you. I'm a career changer that's paying as I go. I work 70-80 hrs. a week to do just that. Its an Ouroboros, really. I have to work a lot to save money to fly, which means that I can't fly a lot, or as much as people expect. People don't seem to really get it it, it can really be super frustrating. But some of the people wishing me well aren't seeing the daily blood, sweat, gring and tears put in at work to help make this dream happen and finally become a reality. Or understand why progress isn't happening at the speed that they desire, or that they have seen others progress at and hurtful insinuations start flying. But I digress.

So, yeah I get why the Gen Z's might really be in their feelings about diminished prospects for the future related to career aspirations and the money associated and just, well life, and securing that golden job and making a livable wage and planning for their future. I don't condone suicide, as its a permanent fix, to a hopeful temporary situation. And I'm definitely not suicidal. But yeah... I think to be a well rounded person that your home life and work life have to be in sync. A person who has a good job , but is lonely, or has a bad personal life, they're miserable. And puts all their time/energy into work as a distraction. Likewiese someone who has a great relationship/marriage, but a sucky job, might also be miserable as well as they're not feeling like a complete individual. I'm blessed to have a very good home life, with a loving and supporting husband. But honestly I'm tired of working jobs and want a career at 47 yrs. old and the career thing, well it just doesn't seem to be taking off. Lots of repeated setbacks and disapointments. But I guess that's life, right? Right? You just gotta power throught it, right? Well here's me, trying to power through it.

:(:)

TL; DR probably. But it was therapeutic, to finally putting all those feelings to words.

I'll open up a bit and admit some personal sh-t, that, well... I've been depressed, recently even a bit bitter. Depressed, but not having depression, i.e. clinical depression, there's a stark difference. So, I guess that means that I'm on track to be a good pilot. right? (insert laugh track) Like @ZapBrannigan I've had a lot of bad luck in aviation, but more so with a lot of disappointments and failed starts. I started this journey in 2001, got my PPL, then 911 happened. Tried to restart again in 2007/2008 and well, we all remember what happened then. Got back into aviation again in 2018, then COVID happened. Just one bad thing after another. I actually had a time building job, with an aerial survey company post "graduation" from primary flight school, circa May 2020. But that was the height of COVID and they shuttered classes indefinitely. Then my flight school closed down temporarily due to COVID, so I wasn't able to start my instructor ratings. I returned home.

Now there's no 200 hr CFI's at any of the schools here in PHX, they all went to the regionals. So the chief pilot is now in the role of CFI instructor, at some of local schools, but he/she only one person. Creating a back log/wait list. One school in the valley has an eight month wait list currently. Then there's the national DPE shortages. Captain shortages at the regionals, flooding the industry with 1500 hr. FO's, or FO candidates. Lots of competition out there at many levels in aviation from lowtime jobs to regional FO. Also the very real risk of a furlough in the future with my luck, if I can actually even get my foot in the door finally. I don't know if it was entitlement on my part or not, honestly I go back and forth on the topic. But I finally thought that it was my time in 2018 after a lot of repeated misstarts. But I returned back home to AZ. feeling rather sullen and defeated. I was in quite a glut. It's definitely colored my thinking a lot, I've thought about just giving it all up, due to all the constant road blocks put in my path, that maybe aviation isn't for me. But I'd like to think that I wasn't a quitter, so I press forward. Especially after my nearly $100k investment in this career as you mentioned and the repeated failures/miss starts that I've experienced along the way in the past fifteen years.

Family and friends calling/texting me asking me constantly about my progress, or the lack there of. Asking me why aren't you a CFI yet? You're not an airline pilot yet? Insinuating that I'm making excuses for my lack of moment currently, that I'm not trying hard enough, or that I'm lazy, or unmotivated. That I better hurry up, or that my dream will be dead, yeah that isn't exactly helping either. There's been a glut of that lately saying that they're doing it because they care and just want to see me succeed. But their love and motivation seems more like a •ing blunt instrument at times. I'm a career changer, but I didn't change my career like I'd hoped, still working an hourly job in psych and I definitely didn't have $200k in savings to knock everything out all at once, unfortunately. Congrats to those that did. A then 19 yr. old kid I was in school with in UT. just got hired at a legacy, his family paid for his time building and he was in the right place at the right time as a result to get a 135 jet job flying a PC-24. That's life though and you can't compare your situation to others, it will eat you. I'm a career changer that's paying as I go. I work 70-80 hrs. a week to do just that. Its an Ouroboros, really. I have to work a lot to save money to fly, which means that I can't fly a lot, or as much as people expect. People don't seem to really get it it, it can really be super frustrating. But some of the people wishing me well aren't seeing the daily blood, sweat, gring and tears put in at work to help make this dream happen and finally become a reality. Or understand why progress isn't happening at the speed that they desire, or that they have seen others progress at and hurtful insinuations start flying. But I digress.

So, yeah I get why the Gen Z's might really be in their feelings about diminished prospects for the future related to career aspirations and the money associated and just, well life, and securing that golden job and making a livable wage and planning for their future. I don't condone suicide, as its a permanent fix, to a hopeful temporary situation. And I'm definitely not suicidal. But yeah... I think to be a well rounded person that your home life and work life have to be in sync. A person who has a good job , but is lonely, or has a bad personal life, they're miserable. And puts all their time/energy into work as a distraction. Likewiese someone who has a great relationship/marriage, but a sucky job, might also be miserable as well as they're not feeling like a complete individual. I'm blessed to have a very good home life, with a loving and supporting husband. But honestly I'm tired of working jobs and want a career at 47 yrs. old and the career thing, well it just doesn't seem to be taking off. Lots of repeated setbacks and disapointments. But I guess that's life, right? Right? You just gotta power throught it, right? Well here's me, trying to power through it.

TL; DR probably. But it was therapeutic, to finally putting all those feelings to words.
I read it, and appreciated the thoughts. TL;DR never enters my thought processes. I'm more interested in cognizant thought and careful reflection, but I'm old and a dinosaur now in many ways. For the record, I also prefer books to video/audio.

Keep writing.

You may not know this, but you have inspired people on here. Because you could’ve just quit for good in 2001. But you didn’t, timing has been cruel to you but you keep trucking ahead and finding ways to climb the ladder one step at a time. Who cares if others judge you on your speed, that’s their problem not yours. As much as I want to see you at the top level asap, I understand the speed bumps you navigated over to get to where you are now and that inspires me… because you’re still moving forward. When you do make it to that level, you’ll actually be truly grateful for it and not constantly complaining about the weight of the bag of gold so to speak.

The most important part of what you just wrote was the love and support you have from probably the most important person in your life. That is the true measure of what is good in life, the value of the relationships you have with those so close to you, all this other crap is just smoke and mirrors.

Last edited:
I see you added more after I replied to your initial question.

I'm not implying only certain trades deserve to afford housing.

I'm saying when people are willing to move away from high cost of living areas the math gets dramatically easier across the board, and they don't need to go to a town of 2000 people for it to work.

A person making $30k/year could dedicate 30% of their income to housing and that comes out to $750/month. You're right, it's going to be difficult to get a mortgage on that kind of money, but you can get a respectable older 1 bedroom apartment in most of those cities for $750, or split a larger home with a roommate for $1500/month no problem.

Some of this argument might just come down to what you consider an acceptable standard of living versus what I consider acceptable. Age of building, amenities included, proximity to work, etc. There are a ton of factors in play.

How dare you suggest that the Gods of Mainline live anywhere other than North Scottsdale, fashionable Brentwood, or Hollywood Hills! Especially suggesting that they live where…….regional pilots and other lesser plebes of *spit* general aviation……..are forced to live!

:)

Back