Stolen ATP Cessna 172 Crash

Compounding the problem is how incredibly difficult it is to actually obtain mental health services these days. We pay out of pocket for the psychologist we utilize for our children, but she has a months long waitlist now for new patients. Several months ago I went through my insurance to try and find just a regular masters degree holding counselor for some CBT to help with my anxiety. Of the limited number of people on my plan in my area, they either weren't accepting new patients, or would take me as a patient, but only if I paid out of pocket (despite being approved by my insurance). That left me to suck it up, cut back on the drinking, and hit the gym more.

My wife is a psychologist for kiddos/teens and the wait list is long even with a lot of psychologists in the department. SI is high the past few years and she has had a few kids say they want to commit and they get sent to the ED. She also had one girl commit suicide and there were ZERO warnings/signs/etc.

My company offers free sessions (10x per year) and I started a year ago. It's very helpful to deal with the daily stresses of life.

*gestures vaguely at everything*
I really wonder if the state of the world in general is contributing. Home ownership is basically a fantasy, rent goes up, and the very real possibility that this generation won’t be able to retire.
You realize when my (actual)boomer parents bought a home in 1980 the interest rate was 14%? And you actually had to like qualify for it. Show up to a bank in business clothes and make your case as to why the bank should loan you money.

You want to buy a house? You want to retire? I can show you how to do it. But you aren't going to like it. Because it isn't easy. Or what society calls normal. But it is 100% possible to do both right now.

Climate change, increasing polarization and a general • negative atmosphere......
Worry about the things you can change. Stop fretting over stuff you have ZERO control over.

Unbelievably sad. Can you imagine trying to suppress your depression while on the hook for $100k worth of flight training?
I'm perplexed. Do people not know what a loan is before they get one? Honestly, this is a societal problem. A huge one, and it's the reason we allow our government to continue to rape us in taxes. For what? This?

It baffles me when those that have third degree burns complain about them when they willingly stuck their hand in the fire.

You realize when my (actual)boomer parents bought a home in 1980 the interest rate was 14%? And you actually had to like qualify for it. Show up to a bank in business clothes and make your case as to why the bank should loan you money.

You want to buy a house? You want to retire? I can show you how to do it. But you aren't going to like it. Because it isn't easy. Or what society calls normal. But it is 100% possible to do both right now.

Worry about the things you can change. Stop fretting over stuff you have ZERO control over.

I'm perplexed. Do people not know what a loan is before they get one? Honestly, this is a societal problem. A huge one, and it's the reason we allow our government to continue to rape us in taxes. For what? This?

It baffles me when those that have third degree burns complain about them when they willingly stuck their hand in the fire.

I think a lot of the anxiety has to do with seeing others living with opportunities that many of these young people won't have. It's absolutely understandable for that to cause anxiety.

As someone who travels internationally quite a bit, I have to think that much of what we have treated as normal (such as owning a home in your 20s that you don't share with other family) is quite abnormal in other parts of the world. Americans speak of European or Asian kids living with their parents after school as some source of failure, but in many parts of the world it's quite normal.

It's more likely the case that we've reached what many have labeled and described as "late stage capitalism" where the inflated and unsustainable economy we created is coming to its natural end, and we're regressing to the mean - a place other not so capitalistic nations have been for a long time.

I dunno, was there a timeframe where buying a first home in your 20's was typical for Americans? It honestly wasn't even on my radar in my 20's. Which isn't to say I'm the norm. But I don't really understand the apparent obsession with home ownership among young people in the last couple years. I understand the concerns, i.e. hard to come by lately, and rent is getting more expensive. But it is 100% possible. Might not be in the city/hot market you want to buy in. Might not be an Instagram worthy mini-mansion. The houses are out there though. More importantly, maybe enjoy your 20's, and start investing your spare money. That downpayment will be possible when you put in the work, assuming you are gainfully employed.

I dunno, was there a timeframe where buying a first home in your 20's was typical for Americans? It honestly wasn't even on my radar in my 20's. Which isn't to say I'm the norm. But I don't really understand the apparent obsession with home ownership among young people in the last couple years. I understand the concerns, i.e. hard to come by lately, and rent is getting more expensive. But it is 100% possible. Might not be in the city/hot market you want to buy in. Might not be an Instagram worthy mini-mansion. The houses are out there though. More importantly, maybe enjoy your 20's, and start investing your spare money. That downpayment will be possible when you put in the work, assuming you are gainfully employed.

You know my dislike for Gen Z. But even I have to admit, they have a point here…

The house thing isn’t a fair assessment. Sure I could find a cheap house in Dickinson, ND. But jobs aren’t there. Nor can you find a 100% remote job. Most jobs seem to require at least a 1-2 days/week at the office.

They are absolutely correct on the lies of college degree worth, the costs of college degrees, and what’s happened to housing for the past 15 years.

My own realtor in a TEACHER salary bought his 4 bdrm house in Hermosa Beach in the late 70s. Today, worth 4 million. Ain’t NO teacher in California buying a 4 million dollar home.

A house that I lost my bid on, sold for 700k in 2015. Some minor updates, and just sold for 1,545,000 last year.

It isn’t Gen Z that scored the housing lottery.

You know my dislike for Gen Z. But even I have to admit, they have a point here…

The house thing isn’t a fair assessment. Sure I could find a cheap house in Dickinson, ND. But jobs aren’t there. Nor can you find a 100% remote job. Most jobs seem to require at least a 1-2 days/week at the office.

Been working one since 2019. Vast majority of our National IT group is fully remote. Heck I just need a great internet connection and Im golden... As for the hybrid remote jobs agree many want a couple days a week. But then the benefits of being in-person are somewhat lost as not everyone is in on the same days. Some days I do miss the the interaction but honestly now I am riding this gravy-train into retirement.

They are absolutely correct on the lies of college degree worth, the costs of college degrees, and what’s happened to housing for the past 15 years.

My own realtor in a TEACHER salary bought his 4 bdrm house in Hermosa Beach in the late 70s. Today, worth 4 million. Ain’t NO teacher in California buying a 4 million dollar home.

A house that I lost my bid on, sold for 700k in 2015. Some minor updates, and just sold for 1,545,000 last year.

It isn’t Gen Z that scored the housing lottery.

Fair points, and I agree there is an affordability problem. Especially at the size/build quality/location point that folks like yourself were looking to purchase at. My confusion is more about the age at which this "stressor" seems to be appearing. Like I said, if you'd asked me if I wanted to buy a home in my 20s, I would have said "not at all". Which in hindsight wasn't a smart financial move in the early 2000s. So I also get that. But was that ever normal by historical standards? I think this is a larger collective psychology of needing "to build wealth", with homeownership being regarded as a major part of that amongst media and social media folks. Like @Wardogg said, if you work and save and work and save some more, it is attainable, albeit more expensive on average than it was in 1980, especially in places like socal.

I have flopped back and forth like a fish pulled from a river and left to flop on the bank about participating here. I'm no longer "young" by any stretch of the imagination, and I know that anecdotes don't trump the metrics offered by statistical analysis. Recognizing those things, I'd like to offer two thoughts as background to the larger discussion and then (hopefully) withdraw to the shadows to follow the topic from that vantage point.

Based upon my experience as a longtime minister, counselor, then firefighter and 911 dispatcher, people have killed themselves in droves pretty much forever, and it's not just the younger generation; us old farts do a pretty fair job in this arena, too. Sadly, hope has been, for many, an elusive thing to grasp. If not badly mistaken, my first personal experience in those dark places was 1978; my last (God, please ...) was early 2019. I've known cops who swallowed their guns, firefighters and EMS workers who hung themselves for a loved one to find, grandmas who sat in their garage in a running car, fathers and mothers and adult children who have jumped from high bridges to the hard ground below. Believe it or not, some just want some human contact on their way out, knowing that help won't arrive before they pass. It was my responsibility ... privilege, nightmare ... to be the last human contact with people, and sometimes to pick up the pieces, for more hopeless people than I care to count this morning.

While specific circumstances differed (financial, failed relationship, lost job, bullying, and on-and-on adinfinitum), the common denominator was that every single one of those individuals had lost hope; honestly, nothing more or less.

The discussion here lead me to a number of websites to research the CPI and how inflation is measured and it seems that, clearly, from a statistical place of oversight, that things are lookin' good. Still, I paid $7.49 this morning for a pound of unsalted butter that cost me half of that three years ago; $4.19 for a gallon of milk that was about $2.60. Dog food (yep, my choice, I know I don't HAVE to have dogs) is in the $40-60 range for good stuff, versus the $18-25 it was just a couple years ago. Utilities? Holy crap! Central Hudson, King of the Estimated Bill, is looking for a 16.1% increase in electric bill increase; five other utility companies in NYS have already been given approval for similar rate increases so there's little doubt this will pass the scrutiny of THE NYS PUC and be granted. Just for the record, last month's ESTIMATED bill was for $822; this month's ACTUAL bill (read from the meter) was $106. I have three years of company provided billing record. show the same idiotic pattern. And, no, I doubt anyone takes their own life just over an electric bill, but finances can be (and are) a contributing factor to a larger, more overwhelming sense of hopelessness which leads some to the point of no return.

Those stories are only provided to note that something SEEMS to be "rotten in Denmark," and whatever something that may be, it works to steal hope from people until there aren't many alternatives which seem to be left and one gets tired of even trying🤷‍♂️

Forgive the old guy (Legit Boomer, @Cherokee_Cruiser 😉) intrusion, if you can. We tend to ramble a lot with the passing of time especially when dealing with a tough subject that has no clear-cut or easy answers.

Last edited:
Not sure how we fell off into a tangent about home ownership and responsible borrowing.

My point was imagine making the investment in flight training and realizing that it didn't remedy underlying depression; or something triggered the depression during the training period and not having the ability to seek help without throwing your investment and passion down the gutter. Must be a terrible position to be in especially if one is not able to make clear decisions.

I'd also caution that our community is fairly small. Less than 10% of the folks perusing JC right now are logged in as a user. Might be worth taking a second or two to digest what you typed, think about how a friend or family of the victim might interpret your post, then hit the save button.

Last edited:
Yeah, somebody asked what the young people think. I think the young people quit coming here when the "how to become an airline pilot" home page went away. It's more of a chat forum now. An interesting and engaging place. First place I go when I turn on my puter in the morning. But the kids quit checking this place out long ago. As to suicide. If you asked me, the drugs are getting better/worse/stronger and dependencies form easier. When that happens at a young age it's easy for a kid to be screwed up for life.

Interesting that suicide is seen as a young person's problem. The majority of people who tossed themselves from the parking garage at TPA and landed outside my window were middle aged. CDC data indicates that just under half of all suicides are those 35-64 years of age. Adults over age 75 have the highest suicide rate, which isn't alarming considering how many people rightfully decide to punch out rather than see their dignity deteriorate along with their bodies with some of the horrible fatal conditions afflicting the elderly.

Interesting that suicide is seen as a young person's problem. The majority of people who tossed themselves from the parking garage at TPA and landed outside my window were middle aged. CDC data indicates that just under half of all suicides are those 35-64 years of age. Adults over age 75 have the highest suicide rate, which isn't alarming considering how many people rightfully decide to punch out rather than see their dignity deteriorate along with their bodies with some of the horrible fatal conditions afflicting the elderly.
Truth.

Maybe "Soylent Green got it right, apart from the whole "processing as food thing."

Ain't gonna' lie, have I any choice (which rules out serious stroke), there's no nursing home in my future🤷‍♂️ My kids know that, as do my close friends. Religious objection? I throw the BS flag, having seen as a pastor how the rules for burial in "consecrated ground" might be overlooked for a "donation" of the appropriate amount.

Let people live, and die, with dignity - intervening as possible but knowing that, in some/many(?) cases (and owning the sorrow of failure) the heartfelt attempt will be in vain. Murder-suicide, for any reason and by any means, falls outside that arena; Jump off a bridge or crash a plane, if you must, but don't take anyone else with you.

Anyway ...

Last edited:
Eh, yeah maybe some of that. But the reality is that, at least in the broad economic sense, everything is FINE. Like, surprisingly fine. By all previous metrics, we should be in a shallow but very real recession, and instead the economy is *growing*. The Boomers are dying off and sooner or later their houses will be for sale, and if the prices for these things don't go down, wages will certainly go up (I think both will probably occur, just not tomorrow). It's an ineradicable law of economics.

I would be more sanguine to agree with your other arguments, though. While I think that the reality is that the arrow of history is still pointing towards greater prosperity *and* rational egalitarianism (which is to say that everyone will benefit), that does not seem to be the received perception, and I have no idea what you do about that. Because these improvements occurring is, of course, predicated on everyone agreeing that they *are* occurring, and it seems like everyone has become a Pilot, suddenly. Totally sure that they're getting hosed all the time, when they're actually doing pretty well. *shrug*

Harsh narcotics essentially de-criminalized, ensuring ready access probably hasn't helped either. IMHO, we are raising a generation of chemically induced neurotics. We ain't talking about someone who feels sad one day or has to check the door lock 3 times before they go to bed, but people that have had actual physiological/neurological damage (probably irreversible) done by the $4it they're buying on the street.

"Buh mah weedz helps my sprained ankle and Starbucks was out of soy milk!", yea, well, todays MJ isn't your California ditch weed. My DEA buddy (chemistry PhD, works in their lab) tells me that even the garden variety $4it they sell today is WAY more potent than the 70s version. They've refined it to the n-th degree, and what really blows me a away is that the same people that insist that only "organic" oats grown in virgin soil, bathed gently in llama manure and exposed to the gentle melodies of Zamfir, master of the pan flute go into their Cheerios, yet turn a blind eye and tokes down every day with the CRISPr modified hyper-weed some dark-jedi spliced together in their basement, that may or may not be laced with fentanyl (which WILL turn your lights out).

Therapy and gentle admonishment from your court assigned case worker ain't going to ween you off this stuff. It is hard core, and if @Maximilian_Jenius were to jump in, I'm sure we'd get a lot of stories of people who have absolutely double-broiled their noodle on this stuff.

And how many people are actually taken to court and found mentally defective or adjudicated by a judge?

That’s the only thing stopping them from legally obtaining a gun. That one question on mental health.

Ownership = stability. No one turning your house into an air bnb, moving back from Cali and wanting to move back into their place, selling it to a VC that jacks your rent up 200% overnight, worrying about retribution for demanding that your something be fixed, etc. If you haven't rented in awhile in a major city, lemme tell ya, it sucks.

*builds our neighborhoods as a desert of stroads and treeless cul de sacs*
*close down and limit access to anywhere kids might be able to hang out in an unstructured environment (unless it’s a place we can extract $$$ from them)*
*continually cut funding from extracurricular activities*
*build an entire industry around social media which encourages people to withdraw from eachother and enables horrific new forms of bullying*

“wHy ArE kIdS sAd AnD iSoLaTeD”

Back