Still More Pictures From The Ramp...

Joe

Wow, it's been about 9 months since I last did one of these. To answer the usual F.A.Q., I'm shooting with a Canon PowerShot S3 IS (though lately I'm more and more tempted to splurge on an DSLR... any suggestions for a beginner that won't break the bank?) I work for Landmark Aviation at Quonset State Airport in North Kingstown, RI (OQU), and I always bring my camera with me not so much for the dime-a-dozen Beechjets, Citations, and King Airs, but the unique, unusual visitors or other interesting photo opportunities that present themselves. Anyway, here goes:

Avantair Piaggio P.180 Avanti II. I'm playing with my camera while my coworker does all the work...

British Aerospace BAe-125-700A.

Privately owned McDonnell Douglas DC-9-15; the original RJ.

Grumman C-2A(R) Greyhound.

Not quite as impressive as a carrier launch, but still pretty cool.

Bombardier Challenger 300 starting its engines around 0100. Yay overtime...

NetJets Gulfstream IV-SP.

NetJets Cessna Citation XLS. A RI ANG Lockheed Martin C-130J-30 is doing a touch-and-go in the background.

A Cessna 441 Conquest II that diverted from its original destination of Newport State (UUU) across the bay due to fog. I like all the different colors of lights.

A Lockheed C-130H Hercules from the WV ANG. This was initially a test shot; I wanted one with the engines running but my batteries died shortly after. In the end it worked out pretty well; I like the look of the lights in the cockpit and the open ramp, with the personnel walking around behind it. I think a full moon helped me out, too. This is my most popular shot on JetPhotos.net to date.

Dassault Falcon 900

Sikorsky S-58J

attachment.php

A 27lb. striper one of my coworkers caught off the sea wall. He's hoping to do better this summer.

attachment.php

Another rather large striper caught by one of my coworkers. There's another shot of him with a similar-sized one in a previous thread.

attachment.php

Preparing dinner on the tailgate of the line truck.

Beechcraft A65 Queen Air. I've seen my share of King Airs, but this is the only one of these I've ever seen.

Gulfstream G450; the latest development of the Gulfstream IV (I think the Roman numerals were classier). Notice the EVS infrared camera in the nose and the HUD on the captain's side of the windshield.

Gulfstream C-20B (military variant of the Gulfstream III) from the 99th Airlift Squadron. Any ideas as to why the right main gear door would be left open?

This 32-year-old Gulfstream II is about to wake up everyone living near the extended centerline of Runway 34.

The Gulfstream G150 is a descendent of the IAI Astra.

NetJets Cessna Citation X

attachment.php

On my birthday, about 20 minutes before were all going to go out and go bowling, we get a call from the tower saying a C-130 reported hitting a fox on the runway. Luckily it wasn't as gruesome as the coyote I got to scrape up last winter.

attachment.php

Attempting to pick it up with a shovel proved to be futile, like when Peter tried picking up the dead bullfrog with the shoebox, so he just used his hands instead. It was apparently still warm.

The C-40C is a military variant of the 737-700 Boeing Business Jet. This aircraft is operated by the DC ANG's 201st Airlift Squadron, and is starting its takeoff roll on Runway 34 headed back to ADW with then-Vice-President-elect Joe Biden and other senators after attending the funeral of Senator Claiborne Pell. I got to meet Bill Clinton that day, who came in on a Gulfstream IV.

McDonnell Douglas F/A-18C Hornet. This was the day I found out fuel trucks make pretty good platforms.

This F/A-18 is part of Strike Fighter Squadron 37 (the "Ragin' Bulls") stationed at NTU, which is a part of Carrier Air Wing 3 which is attached to the USS Harry S. Truman.

attachment.php

Me attempting to refuel an F/A-18.

attachment.php

A lame attempt at making being outside in 20°F weather look like fun. It actually isn't. I'm glad winter's over.

A USCG Sikorsky HH-60J Jayhawk doing some pattern work. Not a bad shot considering I took it through a dirty office window.

The C-21A is a military variant of the Learjet 35A. This aircraft flies for the 103rd Airlift Wing in the CT ANG, also known as "The Flying Yankees."

attachment.php

Keeping the local seagull population under control. This one made the mistake of flying too close to me while I happened to have a loaded 12-gauge shotgun pointed at it. I'd rather see them die like this than going through the windshield or engine of an airplane. Not only do they present a bird strike hazard, but they also drop shells and crabs in the RWY 16 TDZ and north end of TWY A, as well as the approach end of RWY 23.

attachment.php

A coworker and I trying to not get decapitated by three Sikorsky UH-60 Black Hawks.

attachment.php

Kudos to the Quonset Crash Fire Rescue, who made short work of my fire when I quickly realized I wasn't going to be able to stomp it out. I was once again trying to keep the seagull population under control: a wayward pyro flare + dry grass + a strong wind = a fast spreading wildfire.

This Boeing KC-135R Stratotanker flies for the 106th Air Refueling Squadron, which is a unit of the Alabama National Guard. Had I known it were coming in, I would've attempted to get a picture of it landing, as opposed to this backlit shot littered with construction in the background.

Occasionally we'll see a Navy Lockheed P-3C Orion come in to do touch-and-go's for a while.

This de Havilland DH 115 Vampire Trainer is owned by Red Star Aviation and stored at the Quonset Air Museum. The Vampire was a British fighter and trainer developed during World War II; this one was manufactured in 1958 and served in the Swiss Air Force.

The Vampire about to touch down on Runway 34. The Navy's Test Pilot school is contracting with Red Star Aviation to conduct flight training for students.

The Vampire rolling out on Runway 16. Its nosewheel fell off right around here the next day.

That's it for now. We're starting to get busy again, and the Air Show is at the end of June, so I'll have more in a little while. I also have more posted at Flickr and JetPhotos.net.

Attachments

• Dead Fox #2.jpg
    Dead Fox #2.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 869
  • Dead Fox #3.jpg
    Dead Fox #3.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 876
  • McDonnell Douglas FA-18C Hornet #4.jpg
    McDonnell Douglas FA-18C Hornet #4.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 821
  • McDonnell Douglas FA-18C Hornet #5.jpg
    McDonnell Douglas FA-18C Hornet #5.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 855
  • h60_3.jpg
    h60_3.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 841
  • Seagull #1.jpg
    Seagull #1.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 875
  • fire_3.jpg
    fire_3.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 857
Excellent shots. You'd have no problem whatsoever going DSLR. Might I recommend a Canon 40D. You can pick one up relatively cheap now that the 50D has hit the market. Pair it with a 70-200 F4 or a 24-105 F4 lens, and you've got yourself a nice set-up for under $2000. Go with a quality Sigma lens and you can probably keep it in the $1500 range.

Check out www.photography-on-the.net and check out the forums. You can get tons of information there; it is mostly catered to the Canon products.

Awesome pictures, as always!

I was there this past Wednesday when the Vampire IFE'd. Do you know what happened, or was that the nosewheel incident?

Awesome shot of the Herc! That's quite good for a PS camera.
If you're looking to jump into DSLRs, I'd go with something small, like a D60. It has 10MP, it's small, and not too expensive. People will argue that one manufacturer is better than another, and it may be true, but if it's a hobby, just go with the one you like or feel comfortable with. The manufacturer quality debate can be saved for a professional setting.

I haven't played with Cannons or anything else. I use an old PS Nikon Coolpix when I don't want to risk my SLR and a D60 for when it counts.

I'm not 100% sure because I wasn't there, but through picture and text messages I heard it was landing RWY 16 and it fell off before TWY A1. My coworkers used the electric JetPorter to tow it back to the Air Museum, and the nosewheel was found in the grass between the runway and the taxiway. Supposedly they were going to put it back on and it would be flying again Friday, but tomorrow's my first day back. We do weird schedules of 4 days on and 3 off one week, followed by 3 on 4 off the next, and this has been my short week. I also heard last week that the Fouga (possibly the MiG, but I think the guy meant Fouga) would be going up soon, too.

Picture of that hornet reminded me of a time when a T-38 (I think it was a T-38?) landed and taxied in, fueler was fueling him and I was waiting around so decided to shoot the s with the pilot. He had his back to his plane. After a couple of minutes of small talk I see a HUGE jet of liquid (jet fuel) spray into the air like 30 ft from the tail.

I cough diplomatically and say 'I don't think it's supposed to do that, I think the fueler is overfueling you man.' He blinked, turned around and started screaming profanities and running at the fueler. I was pretty close to the plane so I moved about fifty meters back just in case.

A Lockheed C-130H Hercules from the WV ANG. This was initially a test shot; I wanted one with the engines running but my batteries died shortly after. In the end it worked out pretty well; I like the look of the lights in the cockpit and the open ramp, with the personnel walking around behind it. I think a full moon helped me out, too. This is my most popular shot on JetPhotos.net to date.
The fraternity of Aviation Photographers didn't accept it at Airliners.net?

Wow, it's been about 9 months since I last did one of these. To answer the usual F.A.Q., I'm shooting with a Canon PowerShot S3 IS (though lately I'm more and more tempted to splurge on an DSLR... any suggestions for a beginner that won't break the bank?)

The night shots are unbelievable. I have a Powershot Pro1, not even the slightest chance that it would produce such night shots with (almos) zero grain.

The fraternity of Aviation Photographers didn't accept it at Airliners.net?
I submitted a photo once and it got rejected. It wasn't one of my best, but I figured I'd have better luck with JetPhotos. Airliners also changed their Terms of Use which created a bit of a controversy, so I figured I'd stay away altogether.

Those pictures are awesome! :rawk:

The shot of the C130 was sweet. The sky looks great in the picture.

So, you're allowed to blast birds on airport grounds? That must be a riot!

Back