State of hiring for the mediocre.

I’m happily agnostic, but the closest thing I have to doubt is that as soon as a friend/coworker passed away from jaw cancer my career finally began to progress in ways I’d never imagined.
as an atheist... I believe you're speaking in jest ...

if not...as for all you religious folk...God's will right?

as an atheist... I believe you're speaking in jest ...

if not...as for all you religious folk...God's will right?

Not really. I mean I’m still firmly in the “I don’t know and it’s impossible for any one of us to know, so who cares” camp. But it is weird how basically as soon as my buddy passed, my career finally started to move forward.

Not really. I mean I’m still firmly in the “I don’t know and it’s impossible for any one of us to know, so who cares” camp. But it is weird how basically as soon as my buddy passed, my career finally started to move forward.
I guess It can be assumed that, once my Nephew was born in 2008 that my career path pretty much ended...I don't blame him for that. BUT based on what you're asserting, it was a plan for him to be born and end my career trajectory...

...when the more pragmatic response is...sh** happens and before I attribute certain things to luck or misfortune...somethings just happen and we as humans like to find meaning in certain outcomes.

I had to change directions. I expect one thing to be constant in aviation, and that's change which requires flexibility. But a few things can not change rapidly, such as training standards and safety protocols. Communication is beyond confusing at NJM.

Today out of nowhere, I get an email stating my first day with NJM will be at FSI getting a type rating, prior to even a meet and greet with anyone at NJM. No indoc, no ops specs, no company orientation, etc. Just show up at FSI for a few weeks to get a type and 135 check before even stepping foot on company property. So I emailed my contact and asked if this is the normal standardized process since this is not something I was expecting and not something I seen in the 121 or 135 world.

I get a response pretty quickly with an apology that I never received my welcome package that will explain everything. And I was assured that the process would be company onboarding followed by Indoc (ops specs, 135 regs, profiles, etc) and only after that would I be going to FSI. I was grateful to see that the standard process since a standard process insures safety and quality and that nothing is missed or rushed in an abnormal way.

Then an email 5 minutes later from another person completely uproots the standard training footprint stating due to circumstances the standard training in my case will not be followed. It will be FSI first for the type and 135 check. Then after that online training and then last indoc. Never any onboarding.

I did not receive the conflicting info well so I terminated my pre-employment process since only a week ago I had a very long conversation about these very concerns; lack of standardization, acquisition integration struggles, internal communication issues, etc. And that was from a lot of strange things occurring with scheduling over the last few weeks and information I uncovered from various sources. So I am back to the conclusion I had before. NJM has a terrific Michigan operation but something has gone seriously astray recently and the expansion into the CJ3 fleet is a real struggle and it will take a special person to be a part of that. For me, it's not the proper employee-employer relationship.

That's the update. I will say, if someone currently flies Part 135 and has a lot of recent hours, this may be a great place for them to get in on the ground floor and truly make NJM a great place over time. But for me, a person who only flown 55 hours in the last 6 years (Part 91 in a DA40), this is not the place for me to make entry safely and confidently as a Part 135 CJ3 Captain. I am confident in a standardized process I would excel, but coming off from my extended aviation absence I do not feel this hap-hazard approach is the right fit for me. So, decision made. Not the right fit for me at this time.

So, that's half the story.... other half of the story will come soon since as I was emailing my pre-employment termination letter, the phone rang with something that is the right fit if it actually happens.
Whoah.

Good on you for making a tough call that a lot of people wouldn’t have only to find themselves in a pickle down the road.

I was waiting for the part when FlightSafety sends you a bill to be paid in full and the company saying “Bro, just go ahead and pay that and we’ll pay you back over about 10 pay periods” :)

I am Catholic and been praying a lot for guidance the last 3 weeks, which is rare as I normally pray for others. Oddly in prayer all guidance seemed to point to Northern Jet, but then reality showed me a different direction. So it may just have been God's way. It's always a test it seems. :)
In Judaism there's a saying "Man plans, God laughs."

Congrats on the new adventure!!

I guess It can be assumed that, once my Nephew was born in 2008 that my career path pretty much ended...I don't blame him for that. BUT based on what you're asserting, it was a plan for him to be born and end my career trajectory...

...when the more pragmatic response is...sh** happens and before I attribute certain things to luck or misfortune...somethings just happen and we as humans like to find meaning in certain outcomes.

I’m not asserting anything. You, on the other hand, are reinforcing my opinion that aggressively atheist people are just as irritating as aggressively religious.

Nowhere did I say that my faith meter even moved a centimeter just that the closest I’ve come to reconsidering my position was…

Breathe, read what people are ACTUALLY saying, and don’t be so excited to tell everyone what your beliefs are. We are almost 100% in agreement, but you got too excited when you thought you had a chance to pounce on someone

Ugh. I do not miss those days. I had 5 am HRV at the start of my reserve stretch every week for about a year. Back then it was 10 hours of glorious airport appreciation.

The only rule was that it couldn't be more than 3 days in a row. For about 3 years I was the most junior captain in Dayton, so my 5 day blocks of RSV looked like

DAY 0 - Commute in from SFO (via CVG until Delta mostly bailed, and then CLT or ORD)
DAY 1 - 5am - 3pm HRV
DAY 2 - 5am - 3pm HRV
DAY 3 - 5am - 3pm HRV
DAY 4 - 5am - 5pm RSV
DAY 5 - 5am - 3pm HRV (always with an assignment that would get me done *just* too late to catch a flight back to SFO).

The one good thing was that because Dayton was a MX base, it wasn't unusual to get used off of airport reserve so you weren't always just sitting around all day with nothing to do. When they finally put free wifi in the terminal in 2009 or so it was life changing!

The only rule was that it couldn't be more than 3 days in a row. For about 3 years I was the most junior captain in Dayton, so my 5 day blocks of RSV looked like

DAY 0 - Commute in from SFO (via CVG until Delta mostly bailed, and then CLT or ORD)
DAY 1 - 5am - 3pm HRV
DAY 2 - 5am - 3pm HRV
DAY 3 - 5am - 3pm HRV
DAY 4 - 5am - 5pm RSV
DAY 5 - 5am - 3pm HRV (always with an assignment that would get me done *just* too late to catch a flight back to SFO).

The one good thing was that because Dayton was a MX base, it wasn't unusual to get used off of airport reserve so you weren't always just sitting around all day with nothing to do. When they finally put free wifi in the terminal in 2009 or so it was life changing!
I had the pleasure of sitting hrv in Dayton once. In that little room at the mx hangar. Didn't get used so back to CLT I went.

The thing that saved me from some 5 am hrv days was getting a jm call to do the cdo to CAK. Get home early the next day and off the clock.

Back