Starting from scratch

Livestrg05

I've been around the board for a while. I was a PUBNAT applicant for ATC from way back in February, but it ended up that my medical was denied. I'm now looking at switching my focus to be a Dispatcher because I'd like to stay in aviation. My biggest question is how to get the education needed and get into the industry.

From what I've seen by just looking around the internet, I would have to pass the test (ADX test?), and then go to one of the schools such as Sheffield, and then get hired by a smaller carrier and eventually I would be able to move up to a larger carrier?

If I'm wrong on this, or if I'm right, I could really use any advice for someone starting over from scratch and trying to find a new career. Thanks!

I've been around the board for a while. I was a PUBNAT applicant for ATC from way back in February, but it ended up that my medical was denied. I'm now looking at switching my focus to be a Dispatcher because I'd like to stay in aviation. My biggest question is how to get the education needed and get into the industry.

From what I've seen by just looking around the internet, I would have to pass the test (ADX test?), and then go to one of the schools such as Sheffield, and then get hired by a smaller carrier and eventually I would be able to move up to a larger carrier?

If I'm wrong on this, or if I'm right, I could really use any advice for someone starting over from scratch and trying to find a new career. Thanks!

Livestrg05,

The good thing about dispatching, is you don't have to have a medical cert. You're right about most of what you've researched; however, unless you know Airmen Knowledge to take the ADX written, I would strongly recommend that you go to dispatching school for the entire 200 hour course then take the ADX written, oral and practical. I went to IFOD
http://www.airlinedispatcher.com/ and it was a great school. As for starting from scratch, yes, most graduates start with regionals then eventually can move in with the majors, but I wouldn't count on that at this moment. I would plan for sticking with regionals or 135 carriers for awhile then decide if dispatching is rewarding enough for you. You especially have to be able to relocate to wherever you get a job. I had to move to Northern Nevada from Texas for work. Good luck on your endeavors and feel free to ask away if you have any other questions.

Mission

I'm in the same boat you are. I'm about a week away from getting my license and am starting to look for a job now. I understand the money isnt great to start, but after a few years it will really pay of. (depending on who you work for)

I loved that job, but couldn't commit to doing it for the rest of my life. This was solely due to money. Regional Contracts typically top out around 40k, and take 10 years to get there. 10 years. Think about it.

I loved that job, but couldn't commit to doing it for the rest of my life. This was solely due to money. Regional Contracts typically top out around 40k, and take 10 years to get there. 10 years. Think about it.

It is true most regionals do have a fairly low top-out compared to the majors, but you can make a decent living at dispatching if you get to a major airline or large cargo carrier (FedEx/UPS.) Most of the majors aren't hiring right now, but UPS and Southwest did both recently hire people from outside in dispatch. Lots of dispatchers at majors make six figure incomes with overtime when they top out (depending on the major of course...I think Southwest has one of the best contracts, their base pay top out is over $100K.)

The important thing with getting to a major is to get some experience with a regional or small cargo operation, keep an eye out on who is hiring and keep applying! Also if you've been at a regional for a few years when you first get on with a major, it may be a slight pay cut, but it will be worth it in the end. Remember to APPLY APPLY APPLY and not listen to people who say "the majors never hire from outside." That seems to be a common mantra among people in the industry regarding major airlines dispatch departments, and it's not true. In the last five years I have seen UPS, Delta, Northwest, United, Southwest, US Airways, and Continental all hire from outside. Of course, they don't hire people without experience, and there is competition for the jobs, but they ARE hiring. It took me a while (in part due to 9/11) but I *did* finally get on with a major and I'm happy I stuck it out.

I would say the APPLY APPLY APPLY thing probably goes for pilot jobs also.

It is true most regionals do have a fairly low top-out compared to the majors, but you can make a decent living at dispatching if you get to a major airline or large cargo carrier (FedEx/UPS.) Most of the majors aren't hiring right now, but UPS and Southwest did both recently hire people from outside in dispatch. Lots of dispatchers at majors make six figure incomes with overtime when they top out (depending on the major of course...I think Southwest has one of the best contracts, their base pay top out is over $100K.)

The important thing with getting to a major is to get some experience with a regional or small cargo operation, keep an eye out on who is hiring and keep applying! Also if you've been at a regional for a few years when you first get on with a major, it may be a slight pay cut, but it will be worth it in the end. Remember to APPLY APPLY APPLY and not listen to people who say "the majors never hire from outside." That seems to be a common mantra among people in the industry regarding major airlines dispatch departments, and it's not true. In the last five years I have seen UPS, Delta, Northwest, United, Southwest, US Airways, and Continental all hire from outside. Of course, they don't hire people without experience, and there is competition for the jobs, but they ARE hiring. It took me a while (in part due to 9/11) but I *did* finally get on with a major and I'm happy I stuck it out.

I would say the APPLY APPLY APPLY thing probably goes for pilot jobs also.

:yeahthat:

Excellent advice given already so I'll just add that dispatching is one those "best kept secret" jobs. It's very rewarding and I don't think I've ever seen 10 hours go by so fast. :crazy:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, best of luck to you. I have thought about dispatching as well as I really want to work in the aviation field. I am also currently in the process for ATC but I turn 31 early next year. If it does not work out I may be looking into sheffield.

Informative thread, thanks to the OP for starting it.

I also have been thinking lately about getting into Dispatching. I'd rather not take out a loan to go to dispatch school, so I'm waiting until I have the money saved up before going.

Because of that, I've got plenty of time before school to study. I found the ATP Test Prep book, that also mentions dispatching, so I'll be picking that up soon. I'm guessing I should study the FAR's. What else should I be looking at?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Informative thread, thanks to the OP for starting it.

I also have been thinking lately about getting into Dispatching. I'd rather not take out a loan to go to dispatch school, so I'm waiting until I have the money saved up before going.

Because of that, I've got plenty of time before school to study. I found the ATP Test Prep book, that also mentions dispatching, so I'll be picking that up soon. I'm guessing I should study the FAR's. What else should I be looking at?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

You could study the ATP written exam guide, the FAR/AIM, and FAR/FC. Those books would probably hold you over for a while. With exception to the AIM section of the FAR/AIM, the above books aren't very instructional, but you do need to study them all.

You'll be ahead of the game if you start learning aviation weather products now. You can find all kinds of resources on this website about weather. Hit the (i)nfo button on the different products to learn about them.

Good luck!

Some of the surviving regionals are now topping out around $50-55K plus don't forget you get free flight benefits. There isn't much movement up to major airlines at the moment so you may be stuck working for a regional for quite some time, but the experience will help you out anyway so enjoy it. Just be careful who you interview with. There are a few regionals out there that may not be around in the next year or so.

I'm in dispatcher courses now, and finish up in January. I have to take the written in a couple months, then the oral soon after that. They don't say anything about a "practical" test in my classes though. Should I be worried? Is the practical test sometimes not given? CONFUSED!!

Probably referring to the Oral as the practical.

For me it went: Dispatcher Course, FAA written, FAA Oral/Practical, OJT, Company Comp-Check.................workin' the desk.

The Oral exam with the DE is more than just an Oral. You'll also plan up the flight with all the weather and performance data. That's probably why some refer to it as the practical.

Ahhh...thanks for your clarification. Yea I'm excited about getting my dispatcher certificate. It will be a nice thing to have...especially if this ATC thing doesn't work out for whatever reason.

Ahhh...thanks for your clarification. Yea I'm excited about getting my dispatcher certificate. It will be a nice thing to have...especially if this ATC thing doesn't work out for whatever reason.

Just be patient after you pass. It will take awhile for the FEDS to send the actual license.:mad:

I'm in dispatcher courses now, and finish up in January. I have to take the written in a couple months, then the oral soon after that. They don't say anything about a "practical" test in my classes though. Should I be worried? Is the practical test sometimes not given? CONFUSED!!

Why is it taking you so long? Dispatching courses should only be 5 weeks unless you going through a community college.

Back