Starliner Test Flight

Ya know what, I'm cool with that decision. I personally think Starliner is safe, as I understand it the issue has been identified, it just can't be totally fixed in orbit. Bring the thing back home on autopilot and move on, I'm sure it'll fly again.

The amount of reroute pay the crew must be getting has to be legendary...

You don’t need to be an astronaut to put up some epic numbers. Talked with a friend who’s 2 day turned into 45-ish hours. There was a little EDP tossed in for good measure.

Ya know what, I'm cool with that decision. I personally think Starliner is safe, as I understand it the issue has been identified, it just can't be totally fixed in orbit. Bring the thing back home on autopilot and move on, I'm sure it'll fly again.

Are they coming back on crew 9? I'd heard some unsubstantiated scuttlebutt that crew 9 was going up next month with a couple of spare spacesuits. I was thinking about those two intrepid astronauts the other day and it bummed me out but probably not for the reasons you might suspect. It's like Gilligans Island and a three hour tour. What got me thinking was I was sitting outside as the sun was coming up and there was a slight breeze (predawn will always be my favorite time of day) and as I perused my phone and drank my tea (I had to give up coffee so I could finally quit smoking, that's a story for another time) I read a story about mismatched space suits and the effects zero g is having on these folks. I looked around and realized how much I'd miss gravity. You can go on vacation and experience any sort of climate on the planet from Death Valley to the Antarctic if that's what you want but you can't take a vacation from gravity. I got to thinking how I take a bit of wind for granted, I like it but I can go inside and escape it if it get's uncomfortable. Imagine how much it would suck to not have gravity? Everyone's brave and wants to say how awesome it would be and I agree, for a few seconds or minutes at a time. The loss of gravity for a longer than anticipated period would make me sad. It'd be like sitting on a beach with no waves and no breeze.

You don’t need to be an astronaut to put up some epic numbers. Talked with a friend who’s 2 day turned into 45-ish hours. There was a little EDP tossed in for good measure.

SJI laughs in "hold my beer while I turn that 2 day last month into 96 hrs of pay"

I agree. It was a moment of unusual dissent from NASA, against surely what was the advice of another prime contractor, and likely a whole lot of other influential people. I suppose Columbia was more an issue of NASA fighting itself, but this definitely reads like the alternate ending of Challenger where someone said "stop this" and Morton-Thoikol wasn't allowed to blow sunshine up their asses

What if their base is low earth orbit, ISS is their residence, and they are on reserve waiting for a call?

I bet they are picking up a ton of aggressive pickups. Nothing else to do up there. Just weird noises coming from the thrusters or maybe just the electrical system harmonics

Back