St. Bart's Overrun

Yeah the CFI comming out in me...I wonder if he calculated a landing distance...OVER an obstacle? Then when you land (almost) on the opposite end 1000' marker, you only have a 1k' to stop, oh yeah, whats our landing distance?
What about actually practicing short field landings? or practicing a go arround?

Stinks to be him right now. She will not become a soda can, that should be repairable, but it will be one very expenisve trip to the bahamas!

Y'know, though...depending on how fast he hit the sand, that plane might not have been that badly damaged.

So....yes he should have gone around...but what else should he have done on the next approach? More flaps, lower airspeed, steeper descent?

Can you forward slip a twin like you can a single? I don't know, I've never trained in one.

Y'know, though...depending on how fast he hit the sand, that plane might not have been that badly damaged.

So....yes he should have gone around...but what else should he have done on the next approach? More flaps, lower airspeed, steeper descent?

Can you forward slip a twin like you can a single? I don't know, I've never trained in one.

Not floating down the whole runway would be a good start. That much float can pretty much only mean too much airspeed. Unless something strange was going on with the wind.

Uhm, Put the light twin down on the big stripey things on the left and right of the aircraft... the first set of them.

Don't you still need a checkout to land at St. Barts? 2100ft and a 200 foot hillside on the approach end:panic: Locals fly lslanders, Vans and otters in there all the time. Course they can throw in the reverse pitch:D

Attachments

• stbartsvt3.jpg
    stbartsvt3.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 169

Most light twins are really draggy with power idle in the landing configuration because the 2 windmilling props turn into huge airbrakes. Getting down over an obstacle should be no problem. If you need to forward slip a light twin to lose altitude, you're coming down FAST. I agree with the assessment that he likely was carrying WAY too much speed down final.

Recognition and reaction were flawed. Incidentally, those two things cause most aviation accidents.

I read somewhere that someone was killed when they were hit by an airplane on that road that you can see in that pic there. Scary how close the planes get going down the hill

You can definitely tell there is a lot of wind noise in that video, I looked for a sock, but I couldn't find one. I wonder if he had a kicking tailwind going down.

I read somewhere that someone was killed when they were hit by an airplane on that road that you can see in that pic there. Scary how close the planes get going down the hill

You can definitely tell there is a lot of wind noise in that video, I looked for a sock, but I couldn't find one. I wonder if he had a kicking tailwind going down.
The sock was on the left side of the runway, towards the water

I have decided that my flying career will not be complete without a landing at SBH. But considering I had a rough time doing Galt (10C) today, I imagine that SBH will be quite a ways still down the road. :p

Most light twins are really draggy with power idle in the landing configuration because the 2 windmilling props turn into huge airbrakes. Getting down over an obstacle should be no problem. If you need to forward slip a light twin to lose altitude, you're coming down FAST. I agree with the assessment that he likely was carrying WAY too much speed down final.

No kidding! My favorite thing in an airplane so far was doing emergency descents for my multi addon. Max gear speed on the Duchess is 140, at idle power, props forward, gear down, it takes about 23 degrees nose-down to hold 140.....that is FALLING out of the sky! I have no numbers other than a guesstimated guess, but i'd say around 8-10,000 fpm.

I have decided that my flying career will not be complete without a landing at SBH. But considering I had a rough time doing Galt (10C) today, I imagine that SBH will be quite a ways still down the road. :p

Hey, Galt can be interesting with a nice north or south wind.

From there, you graduate to Dwight, then down to SABA or St. Barts.

Yeah the CFI comming out in me...I wonder if he calculated a landing distance...OVER an obstacle? Then when you land (almost) on the opposite end 1000' marker, you only have a 1k' to stop, oh yeah, whats our landing distance?
What about actually practicing short field landings? or practicing a go arround?

Stinks to be him right now. She will not become a soda can, that should be repairable, but it will be one very expenisve trip to the bahamas!

Landing distance over an obstacle? Did you watch the video? The AIRPLAE was completely capable of making the landing. The PILOT was not, at least in that instance.

As for the guy who says that twins are draggy when the motors are at idle... what do you think turboprops do when they're at idle??? They're even better for slowing power! A caravan is the fastest thing inside the marker if you know how to fly it. You can do 160 until the RA calls out 500' and then pull the power to idle (in IMC if you're comfortable with the a/c), put in flaps 10 degrees and touch down at 90 knots in a caravan right on the 1000' markers and be stopped in less than 1000'. The aztruck is different, but if you're not down, go around. The brakes on all airplanes suck. Just make that your mantra. If beta won't stop it, just keep goin'.

The guy made a bad judgement call. It happens to all of us, most of the time not in such perilous situations. Whens the last time you accidentally landed long?

Hey, Galt can be interesting with a nice north or south wind.

From there, you graduate to Dwight, then down to SABA or St. Barts.

Yup, that's definitely what I had today. Definitely underestimated the wind turning base and overshot the turn. First of the three go-arounds. I have lots of family up in Wonder Lake, so Galt is somewhere I need to get really comfortable with. Then onto Dwight! :D

Back