SR22 down off the coast.

Gotta hand it to the Air Force!

The Army would have shipped a jeep one piece at a time.
The Navy would have hitchhiked.
The Marines would have marched.

Only the Air Force would have brought a van with them.

Today the vehicle would have a GPS tracker. That sure would have screwed up the motor pool Sgt.

That's brilliant!

If I'm ever a billionaire, I am going to have a C-130 for my personal airplane, and carry a car in the back.

"Sir, do you need a rental car?"

"Nope, I brought one with me!!!"

I've had a similar thought but with a C-17. Lots of room to make part of it into damn near an apartment with plenty of room for a car.

Here's the story from back then:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19951122&slug=2153919

Poor guy... tough to put a face to the voice after listening to the voice of it all. He realized he was in trouble... but it was too late he wasn't functional enough to set his autopilot to lower. Another pilot yelled over the frequency about oxygen.

In the AF, we're perfecting an auto-recovery system for the F-16 that pulls the airplane up if it thinks it's going to hit terrain. I'm curious if Cirrus has thought about an auto-chute option....

In the AF, we're perfecting an auto-recovery system for the F-16 that pulls the airplane up if it thinks it's going to hit terrain. I'm curious if Cirrus has thought about an auto-chute option....

In the F-117A, we had what was known as PAARS, or Pilot Activated Automatic Recovery System. Wasn't an automated system, but was the technology prior to what's upcoming in the automation realm when it comes to these.

When the PAARS button was depressed on the stick, the autopilot and autothrottles engaged (if off), the aircraft recovered itself to the horizon via the closest means available, rolled wings level upright, and established a 5 degree nose-up at 250 knots. Only problem was that in finding the quickest way to the horizon, it didn't know the difference between positive and negative Gs.
The system was born of a couple of accidents we had in the jet that were attributed to spatial-D. The 117 was VERY easy to get spatial-D in, since the cockpit was so sealed well, there was no "wind rush" or other aural cues of airspeed.......60 knots sounded like 600 knots. This caused a problem when as the pilot flying, I spent most of my time heads-down in the IRDS display searching for my target and heavily depended on the autopilot to be doing the flying. Visual lookout was kind of a joke, as there wasn't time to and the plane had crappy viz anyway except for out the sides; but then in combat, that didn't matter (though I certainly wasn't maintaining any reasonable see and avoid while VMC in stateside airspace...kind of unsafe in that way). The IRDS did have a small mini-HUD like display in the corner of it that showed aircraft attitude only, but we usually decluttered that since there was already a ton of targeting information we needed to be looking at. The jet really did need a WSO onboard.

So I can see where a system like this device in an automated fashion could come in handy.

Last edited:
Wow... Mike D ain't a WSO-hater. I, sir, am impressed.

Not a WSO hater in the least. In the A-10, we didn't think of the concept of needing a WSO because at the time I flew it, the most advanced thing we used was the AGM-65, and it was fairly easy to use. Everything else was dumb bombs and gun, easy enough for a single pilot.

In the highly-automated partial-glass F-117A, the Sensor Display system for Nav/Attack is one SA-sucking piece of equipment. When training stateside, I'd regularly be on autopilot (required to be) during the 5 minute final attack runs, and being single-pilot, Id have to have my head buried in the display to find and refine my target for the bomb run, including tracking the weapon to the target. All with F-117A hurtling along at .90M and changing altitudes on it's own in a block with no Mk1 eyeballs scanning anything outside on a VMC day/night for traffic, etc. Granted, most of the time I was in Class A, but not always. A mission necessity, but I consider myself lucky not to have had a near-miss at least, much less a midair, during all the times I did those missions in 3 yrs of flying the thing. Especially during the times when our simulated targets were located in Terminal Areas, such as ABQ, ELP, PHX, or TUS.

God help you if you had to go into manual attack. Most guys didn't train for it (most of our guys came from the F-15C community anyway, so they were newbies to air-ground anyway), so most guys didn't do it. Me and a handful of A-10 guys we had there played around with manually flying while doing all of the above, and you damn near needed 4 arms to do it, with al the juggling going on between flying the wobbly jet and managing the target search/track/lock and weapon release. We had a standby pipper, and most people only brought it up in the HUD to remind them when they were cross feeding fuel.

So yes, if there was one plane that seriously needed a WSO, it was the F-117. Our Wing only had one Navigator-rated guy assigned to the entire Wing, and he worked in combat plans as an EWO.

Is there ATC of this? Interesting

Are there any scenarios where the parachute will auto deploy - imagining the jet doing some vortex creation, just to get the 3Gs the chute might need to unfurl. Can you mimic the transponder signal, send false altimeter setting info, make the autopilot descend etc.

ahw01 said:
Is there ATC of this? Interesting Are there any scenarios where the parachute will auto deploy - imagining the jet doing some vortex creation, just to get the 3Gs the chute might need to unfurl. Can you mimic the transponder signal, send false altimeter setting info, make the autopilot descend etc.
There were some older pipers that if you got slow it would drop the gear for you. Not so good for training.

There were some older pipers that if you got slow it would drop the gear for you. Not so good for training.

Didn't you also have to be in some other part of landing configuration for it to happen? Such as flaps down as well as power back below some particular setting?

MikeD said:
Didn't you also have to be in some other part of landing configuration for it to happen? Such as flaps down as well as power back below some particular setting?
I believe so but the one I was flying had it disabled.

The latest Cirrus with the Garmin avionics has hypoxia detection and auto-descent logic based on the pilot's interaction with the avionics.

http://cirrusengineering.blogspot.co.uk/2011/01/hypoxia-prevention-and-automatic.html
This is very cool. My wife has the same thing in her car. Well, OK not exactly the same thing. It is called "Attention Assist" and displays a coffee cup when actively monitoring the driver. Sensors measure the speed and frequency of steering wheel input since engine start, along with with how long on the road, road conditions and weather, and finally how much instrument input you're making (radio, climate control, etc - similar to Cirrus). If you go outside their safety parameters a large warning is displayed in the cluster.

No pilot should consider it to be a "nag-ware."

tomokc said:
This is very cool. My wife has the same thing in her car. Well, OK not exactly the same thing. It is called "Attention Assist" and displays a coffee cup when actively monitoring the driver. Sensors measure the speed and frequency of steering wheel input since engine start, along with with how long on the road, road conditions and weather, and finally how much instrument input you're making (radio, climate control, etc - similar to Cirrus). If you go outside their safety parameters a large warning is displayed in the cluster. No pilot should consider it to be a "nag-ware."
She like the volvo? 8)

My Viking gear comes down when I'm below 115mph and I have less than full throttle. There's a micro switch on the throttle. It's never saved me... yet.

why the heck are you a heavy smoker? that's just dumb. You are too young pretty and smart... do you feel you need to handicap yourself?
It's because I'm not as pretty as you, Dale. Ever since I ran into you at MDW in the jetbridge when I was a ramp sup I longed to be you. Even more so when you picked me up from the airport in Vegas, and then when we met in CA during my stopover.

Back