SR22 down off the coast.

How many non-military folks go through altitude chamber training?

I've always found it strange how the high-altitude endorsement doesn't actually require a chamber ride...
The chamber would be a great tool for civilian pilots IMO because you can talk about the effects of hypoxia but until you feel it for real I think that it is easy to go from feeling sleepy to hypoxic without figuring out what is really going on. I did the chamber and it was surprising how long it can take to realize that something is wrong.

The chamber would be a great tool for civilian pilots IMO because you can talk about the effects of hypoxia but until you feel it for real I think that it is easy to go from feeling sleepy to hypoxic without figuring out what is really going on. I did the chamber and it was surprising how long it can take to realize that something is wrong.
What's even more amazing is how well you may feel/believe you are cognizant, communicating, coping, handling the situation, and "thinking". Then when you review a video recording of yourself, you are flabbergasted at just how jacked up you really were.

What's even more amazing is how well you feel/believe you are cognizant, coping, handling the situation, and "thinking". Then when you review a video recording of yourself, you are flabbergasted at just how jacked up you really were.
Haha yup. I remember how dumb I looked doing the Pensacola patty cake on video.

All important stuff. I can recall dietary, fatigue, sleep, and alcohol/tobacco discussions in both altitude chamber and centrifuge training days. Now how much those lessons stuck is a different matter...

Considering that when we do recurrent chamber training in the military, it's a week-long trip to San Antonio...we can verify that diet, fatigue, sleep, and alcohol/tobacco DO in fact affect your symptoms.

A Life Aloft said:
What's even more amazing is how well you may feel/believe you are cognizant, communicating, coping, handling the situation, and "thinking". Then when you review a video recording of yourself, you are flabbergasted at just how jacked up you really were.
Honestly, as a heavy smoker, that's what scares me the most. I can't imagine thinking I'm doing well, without knowing I'm about to kill everyone*

@CK and @Boris Badenov will tell you that's an average flight with me, though...

Considering that when we do recurrent chamber training in the military, it's a week-long trip to San Antonio...we can verify that diet, fatigue, sleep, and alcohol/tobacco DO in fact affect your symptoms.

A week-long trip to the chamber? For a one-day course? What kind of scam you airlift guys pulling this time? Man.....as bad as the McChord reserve C-141 crew busted for hauling the 15 pax AF van around in their bird, with which they were following the Seattle Supersonics around to all their games, while on "training missions".........

:ooh:

A week-long trip to the chamber? For a one-day course? What kind of scam you airlift guys pulling this time? Man.....as bad as the McChord reserve C-141 crew busted for hauling the 15 pax AF van around in their bird, with which they were following the Seattle Supersonics around to all their games, while on "training missions".........

:ooh:

That's brilliant!

If I'm ever a billionaire, I am going to have a C-130 for my personal airplane, and carry a car in the back.

"Sir, do you need a rental car?"

"Nope, I brought one with me!!!"

That's brilliant!

If I'm ever a billionaire, I am going to have a C-130 for my personal airplane, and carry a car in the back.

That's a terrible idea.
A) You'll always be broke.
B) 4,000lbs/hr...see A.

Man.....as bad as the McChord reserve C-141 crew busted for hauling the 15 pax AF van around in their bird, with which they were following the Seattle Supersonics around to all their games, while on "training missions".........:ooh:

Gotta hand it to the Air Force!

The Army would have shipped a jeep one piece at a time.
The Navy would have hitchhiked.
The Marines would have marched.

Only the Air Force would have brought a van with them.

Today the vehicle would have a GPS tracker. That sure would have screwed up the motor pool Sgt.

I was a nicotine addict back when most controllers ran on caffeine and cigarettes. Give it up. It's really not that hard. Just don't lean on other crutches such as patches and nicotine gums. Those only draw out the withdrawal process in my book.

Story about pilot here: http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2014/09/milwaukee-community-says-goodbye-to.html

Ronald Hutchinson: Milwaukee Community Says Goodbye to A Much-Loved Member - Family man and Harley-Davidson executive loses consciousness while in flight (Cirrus SR-22T, N930RH)
HPIM0574.jpg

Hutchinson is a retired Harley-Davidson senior vice president for product design. He was among a handful of senior Harley officials who had been considered to be in the running to become the firm’s CEO until the company hired Keith Wandell from Johnson Controls in 2009.

That's brilliant!

I've had a similar thought but with a C-17. Lots of room to make part of it into damn near an apartment with plenty of room for a car.

Screaming_Emu said:
I've had a similar thought but with a C-17. Lots of room to make part of it into damn near an apartment with plenty of room for a car.
It would make a nice hunting cabin in the woods with a garage for the toys.

Poor guy... tough to put a face to the voice after listening to the voice of it all. He realized he was in trouble... but it was too late he wasn't functional enough to set his autopilot to lower. Another pilot yelled over the frequency about oxygen.

Back