Spirit still moving to BNA?

In addition to the tax break, the per square footage they have on their current lease was a lot lower than the cost of moving to Orlando at the time as well.

With many businesses leaving NYC, my guess is that NY will do what they can to keep them there.
Let alone, the building won’t want to lose another tennent.

The problem is NY will cut breaks to keep a company there, not breaks for the employees working in NY. It may be moving "one block" at a time, but I think long term there will be less Jetblue corporate office functions in the Empire State.

WOW! so much faith in NYC and NY state in general.... NYC, and the state, will do everything possible to increased their taxes and chase them away just like they are doing with all the other businesses and just like what they did with Amazon (that was going to be in the same neighborhood as JetBlue is)

Amazon was a $2.5bn tax cut pre-Covid, B6 was $30m over 10 years.
As much as I don’t want them to stay, with all of the money invested in the current space, rent dropping, and more work from home options, alleviating floor space, I don’t see them leaving the Brewster building.

I don't have access to the article does anyone care to summarize?

From the article: “The Professional Airline Flight Control Association filed a lawsuit against Spirit (NYSE: SAVE) on Friday in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida. The lawsuit alleges that the discount airline violated the collective bargaining agreement between the company and PAFCA...PAFCA states in the lawsuit that Spirit's failure to give the association 30 days of written notice prior to the company's actions is a violation of the Railway Labor Act...According to court documents, PAFCA asked the courts to issue an order for Spirit to cease all acts and communications related to the opening of the Orlando domicile.”

I don't know Spirits contract, but this seems rather odd to me that PAFCA would have to resort to a lawsuit on this where this clearly seems like an issue that can be resolved by a System Board of Adjustment via arbitration.

Funny thing about the split operation. My carrier still only operates out of one Center, and given the winter weather that hit last week it presented major challenges to many of my colleagues in both getting to work and actually surviving at home without power. Some people suggested that maybe the backup site should be in a different city than the primary one so that you can move employees to a city without issues much more easily. I get the Spirit logic, but with only 80 dispatchers as opposed to many carriers which have way more dispatchers, how much gain is actually realized here?

The dispatchers recently voted down an LOA that split the group between both offices. Just the fact that the company negotiated an LOA shows that they know they need an agreement with the union to be able to move them.

WOW! so much faith in NYC and NY state in general.... NYC, and the state, will do everything possible to increased their taxes and chase them away just like they are doing with all the other businesses and just like what they did with Amazon (that was going to be in the same neighborhood as JetBlue is)
The good news that should not need to be explained is...

After the power and water goes out in whatever tax-free, race-to-the-bottom backwater haven they move to, they'll move back to a civilized state.

The good news that should not need to be explained is...

After the power and water goes out in whatever tax-free, race-to-the-bottom backwater haven they move to, they'll move back to a civilized state.
When you say “After... they’ll move back to a civilized state.” Do mean to say that NY is a civilized state? And which states are uncivilized compared to NY in your opinion?

Are you able to elaborate??

This is what I know,

1. The NK dispatch contract was not written with the possibility of a two domicile OCC in mind.
2. The contract does not say that company and DX need to agree on moving, only on the conditions of the move (expenses etc).
3. The initial TA included moving expenses as well as numerous changes to work rules to make the contract work with two domiciles.
4. The initial TA was voted down with almost 100% group participation. While compensation was one part of the decision, the work rule changes were the major factor and weakened several parts of the current contract.
5. Following the initial failed TA, the company quickly doubled their compensation offer, which is no more or less than what is being offered to the non CBA groups. The two parties returned to the table until the company stopped communication entirely. What I heard is they were completely unwilling to negotiate on the parts of the TA that made it fail in the first place (work rules).
6. While possibly unrelated, a probationary dispatcher was asked by a member of management how they voted on the initial TA. The dispatcher was terminated days later with no cause given, under the terms of probationary employment.
7. Even after ceasing communication with union representatives toward a new TA, the company continues full steam ahead toward preparing the MCO OCC, hence the complaint and suit for an injunction to stop until the company returns to negotiations.

A state that re-elects corrupt Andrew Cuomo twice and can't find anyone better in that time is hardly "civilized."
And there it is! An ad-hominem deflection! Sounds highly relevant and salient to me. If I buy two of what you're sellin', do I get one more for "free"? :)

6. While possibly unrelated, a probationary dispatcher was asked by a member of management how they voted on the initial TA. The dispatcher was terminated days later with no cause given, under the terms of probationary employment.

This is scary, and borderline harassment. Yes you can be terminated while on probation, but to use this to try to bully members into voting the companies way is blackmail and PAFCA should not tolerate this. I am not sure they can save the employee who was fired, but this cannot be tolerated at all. Ratification votes are secret ballot, and for the company to try to find out this information like this is unacceptable.

7. Even after ceasing communication with union representatives toward a new TA, the company continues full steam ahead toward preparing the MCO OCC, hence the complaint and suit for an injunction to stop until the company returns to negotiations.

Outside of what is presently happening, do the employees have any recourse? Or can the company just chug on right along and get MCO rolling?

Also, Miramar and Orlando aren’t next to each other (Ya for backup site purposes I get this) so to run them both full time presents it’s own set of challenges :/ very interested to see how this all turns out.

Back