Speed and Angels

I guess I got caught up in the docudrama then......still though, to each his own. I am just amazed at how much life and liberty is given up on those cruises. My time in the AF was spent overseas in Hyatts and Marriots for the most part. Such a world of difference.

And my time on the carrier....

Yokosuka, Japan
Pusan, Korea
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Dubai, UAE
Jebel Ali, UAE
Perth, Austrailia
Sydney, Austrailia
Honolulu, HI.

My time away from the ship was spent in Hyatt's, Sheraton's, etc.....Like you said it was docudrama....It would be boring if you saw the normal, non-exciting life on the carrier.

As for life on the carrier: gyms, movies, libraries, food 24/7...you name it, we had it. It was far from boring and definitely not giving up life and liberty. It was exactly what one made of it.

All of that doesn't include the first few years I spent in the Navy stationed at Pearl Harbor. (psst, don't tell anyone we always snuck over to Hickam for food). The AF had far better food service.

Cheezy as it sounds, it (the Navy or the carrier) is just like life. You get out of it exactly what you put into it.

And my time on the carrier....

Yokosuka, Japan
Pusan, Korea
Abu Dhabi, UAE
Dubai, UAE
Jebel Ali, UAE
Perth, Austrailia
Sydney, Austrailia
Honolulu, HI.

My time away from the ship was spent in Hyatt's, Sheraton's, etc.....Like you said it was docudrama....It would be boring if you saw the normal, non-exciting life on the carrier.

As for life on the carrier: gyms, movies, libraries, food 24/7...you name it, we had it. It was far from boring and definitely not giving up life and liberty. It was exactly what one made of it.

All of that doesn't include the first few years I spent in the Navy stationed at Pearl Harbor. (psst, don't tell anyone we always snuck over to Hickam for food). The AF had far better food service.

Cheezy as it sounds, it (the Navy or the carrier) is just like life. You get out of it exactly what you put into it.
Yeah you boat guys live a dull life on deployment!:D The air wingers or helo dets on the other ships have a better time, though it still gets monotonous at times.

Not trying to hijack.
I have the Jolly Rogers Combat Cruise dvd from 06 (I think?) that I got from a friend who visited Oceana. It has some of the best air to air shots, combat, carrier, as well as some dog fighting footage. The dog fighting was shown from only one plane but you could kinda build a mental picture from the radio traffic. The dvd was filmed from what I could gather from mostly hand held personal video cameras (mini-dv or dvd) but the quality isn't too bad. Also has some gun-cam footage of bombing with the audio from the combat controller calling in the support. Great soundtrack to it as well. Anyway...sorry for the hijack, continue with the regular scheduled broadcast...

Best I could find after a brief youtube search. It highlights the dilemma Hacker point out as it's fairly difficult to determine what's really happening until the engagement develops a bit post-merge, and it's not even pursued to completion due to the termination for bingo fuel.

Whoops, that one doesn't allow embedding. Here's the URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNfbw3lpIHo

Here's another one, but it's HUD footage only, so you really can't get a sense of what the engagement looked like.

[YT]e4sfQEEt3Zw[/YT]

That second video is actually an AT-38C video from IFF...at Moody, the "Lock" callsign was one of the IPs in the 49th FTS.

What you're looking at first is a 6K offensive perch setup from the offender's HUD, and second is a 3K offensive perch from the offender.

Based on the lack of instruction from the back seater (just a few comments like "watch the G" and "repo"), and the fact that the bandit does not jink during the gun track, this is a student's second or third BFM ride in the course (of four total offsensive rides).

One thing to remember is that the BFM sets in the AT-38 are pretty vanilla -- designed to introduce the concepts of BFM that the student will go on to learn in a lot more detail once they get to their actual fighter airframe.

The Eagle v Viper video is pretty cool...and it illustrates exactly how tough it is to really understand what is going on in the fight while looking through a camera lens.

I just started watching Speed and Angels and had a pleasant surprise... Callsign "Spur" who they interview about Meagan in the film is my cousin-in-law. She's married to my cousin who also flys for the Navy. She's also Blue Angel #8 for the 2009 season. Talk about a surprise, and a cool film too!

[hijack]

Hacker, were you ever at Moody? I used to go to college there awhile back.

[end of hijack]

Bizactly! I didn't know the AT-38C's HUD was so...Viper-like.

It was intentionally designed to be very close to the F-16 because percentage-wise the majority of students that go through the IFF program will go to the F-16.

You can also switch to a different HUD format that they call "MIL Spec", which supposedly is similar to the F-22.

wOw....Outstanding film. What a way to spend the last 1.5 here at work. Absolutely loved it. Takes me back to my time on the carrier. Miss it for sure....

Back