Speed Adjustments

All of you are worried about getting up to altitude (flight levels) as quick as possible. I am a 135 freight driver and spend all of my time below 10,000. I know that I have a prob with being too slow during certain situations and too fast when on final. I fly a Baron (BE58) between a CPS and MEM everyday. During the mornings MEM hates me and sticks me at 3,000 feet or below 30 miles from MEM and during the afternoon STL Approach drops me to 5,000 feet 35 miles from CPS. while most of you are like so what to a piston driver for the most part these same rules apply to ALL AIRCRAFT going into CPS and I feel like such a second class citizen going into MEM. I get told to keep my speed up going into MEM 170 KIAS or greater until a 5 mile final and than if I am flowing a CRJ I get told just before the turn to final that I have to slow for spacing to 150 KIAS. Then on the trip home I get held at 3,000 unless it's a good controller, or great traffic conditions, until 50 north of MEM. I know that I am usually departing into the arrival corridor but I cannot help how slow I am in a Baron. Seriously climbing out at 500 fpm just to get the fastest possible airspeed. Is there anything I should know about why I keep getting screwed up the... I want to help ATC because I know their/your job is hard enough without throwing a prop in the mix with jets/turboprops but I am getting paid to fly when I get the cargo. I would rather be flying the jets just as much as they wish that I was. Anything that I can do?

Fly a LJ60/PRM1/C750/G159
:yeahthat:

On the "long side" inbound to ATL (IE the arrival side that will be the downwind) my standard phraseology is "Maintain xxx knots until I advise you otherwise". That seems to alleviate confusion. 'Course there's always one or two that say, "do you want me to slow at XYZ?" then I will restate, in the nicest and cheeriest voice, because those of you that know me on here know I'm a pro through-and-through,
"UNTIL ADVISED". :banghead:

Of course inbound to FTY/RYY/PDK/LZU I also want you to go faster than 200kts below the Bravo so you can be numebr one to the airport.

Chris,

That's great. We love when controllers say that...it makes things easy. I wixh you would spread the word to the rest of the folks. The problem is the lack of consistency between you guys though,and that's why pilots are always asking. It annoys us as much as it dies you guys.

One more question about this....if center tells us maintain 310kts, then we get switched to approach. Do you guys know about the previous speed even if it was from the last sector or even sometimes two sectors before you? Are you expecing us to slow even though center told us to "maintain" or does that just apply to their sector????

Chris,

That's great. We love when controllers say that...it makes things easy. I wixh you would spread the word to the rest of the folks. The problem is the lack of consistency between you guys though,and that's why pilots are always asking. It annoys us as much as it dies you guys.

One more question about this....if center tells us maintain 310kts, then we get switched to approach. Do you guys know about the previous speed even if it was from the last sector or even sometimes two sectors before you We only expect that the ARTCC will give us the required in-trail for that specific "post" of the four post arrival (BTW they NEVER do, and it's always not enough spacing)? Are you expecing us to slow If they have told you to maintain a specific speed and not slow at the 40 DME fix, then we expect you to maintain your last assigned speed.even though center told us to "maintain" or does that just apply to their sector????

Please DO NOT confuse me with Chris, I am CJ and I am much more handsome:drool:

Of course inbound to FTY/RYY/PDK/LZU I also want you to go faster than 200kts below the Bravo...
That would be in direct contradiction to the FAR speed limits. I'd love to do it too, but everyone knows ATL has a bad reputation for issuing speed violations.

Just some info....None of the FMS units I have used will depict class B (or any other) airspace on the MFD. Yes, I realize every cheap handheld has this feature, but the majority of jets don't. Airline pilots have no clue where the boundaries are, and don't care. The corp guys flying "under" the class B have no other choice than to be conservative and slow down early. It was a lot easier when the class Bs were symmetrical. Now that they look like road kill, distance and radial are only partially helpful.

That would be in direct contradiction to the FAR speed limits. I'd love to do it too, but everyone knows ATL has a bad reputation for issuing speed violations. Really. I only know of one controller who has a pet peeve about speeds below the Bravo. Mine is not using your call signs/saying 180 instead of heading 180 (which makes me think you are going to climb to FL180 and also why I ONLY issue headings ending in a 5, IE 185, 215, etc)/ not checking on with the ATIS/ saying "see ya" or "good day" without any other form or ID except the hope that I remembered your voice out of the other 30 aircraft on my frequency.....sorry I digress.

IMHO the rest of us could care less about speeds under the Bravo. ChrisATC...chime in.

Just some info....None of the FMS units I have used will depict class B (or any other) airspace on the MFD. Yes, I realize every cheap handheld has this feature, but the majority of jets don't. Airline pilots have no clue where the boundaries are, and don't care. The corp guys flying "under" the class B have no other choice than to be conservative and slow down early. It was a lot easier when the class Bs were symmetrical. Now that they look like road kill, distance and radial are only partially helpful.

Please don't confuse what I want for what I ask for/or is required. It's just my wish list.

Please don't confuse what I want for what I ask for/or is required. It's just my wish list.

I am gonna second what ATLTRACON has said. I "prefer" that you run at 250 kts until issued otherwise. That makes it easy to set the sequence. We, as controllers, have the same problem with pilots that you have with us, lack of consistency. Some will slow down early, some when they get nervous, some not at all.:) The guessing game creates turmoil in an already busy environment. And yes, I am acknowledging that it happens on both ends. I don't really know of any good solutions because every one is operating from a different perspective.

Since you brought it up...

EJA123: Ground, EJA123 ready to taxi from Mercury with Alpha.
GND: EJA123, advise when you have Alpha.......say where you're parked.
:crazy::D:crazy::D

You are correct :laff:. Unfortunately, what you hear on the radio is usually about one-third of what is going on and we miss a whole lot on the initial transmission. That's no excuse, it's just reality. :banghead:

You are correct :laff:. Unfortunately, what you hear on the radio is usually about one-third of what is going on and we miss a whole lot on the initial transmission. That's no excuse, it's just reality. :banghead:
"Who was that last call, I was on a landline...":)

Back