Special Issuance started a newly approved by FDA Med

Pilotlynn

I have a friend this happen to. He had been flying with a special issuance since his 1st medical. Last year a newly approved medicine was released by the FDA which could cure his medical problem only taking it for a limited duration of 24 weeks. He understood he could not fly while taking the medicine and self reported starting this new medicine as required on his special issuance medical that was issued 6 months prior and was valid for a year.

He was expecting to be reminded not to fly while taking this medicine and to have to jump through a couple of hoops i.e. doctor letters and lab reports to be reinstated. What he did not expect was to receive a registered letter from the FAA Regional medical department saying that his application for a medical was now denied and to send in his unexpired medical certificate.

After he finished treatment he got the requested letter from his doctor and recent lab tests showing he was cured of his condition and had completed treatment and was no longer taking any medicines and that his medical prognosis was greatly improved.

He now has his medical back and is flying again. However, he was told by the FAA regional medical department that he will now have to check the yes box in question 13 "Has your medical ever been denied, suspended, or revoked" on every future medical application.

That seems more than a little bit punitive when all he wanted to do was improve his health and cure his medical condition by taking a medicine for 24 weeks.

Is there anyway to appeal this? Does he really need to check yes to question 13 in your opinion?

Thank you for your time

Only the FAA would see the answer and they already know it was suspended, so I'd just roll with it.

If it was something gnarly enough to require a special issuance and a lifetime of meds (at one point) I would say roll with it.

Heck, make it a point of pride. "Yea I was revoked once cause of [disease], but now I'm CURED and have the paperwork to prove it! BOOM"

But then again knowing the FAA he'd still be on lifetime AME deferrals.

It wasn't a lifetime of meds. There previously was no treatment and no cure before this new medicine was approved last year. Take 1 pill a day for 12 weeks, no sides, boom cured.

Sounds like an infomercial but really a FDA medicine newly approved a year ago. Wonder of modern science. About 4 million people in the U.S. were infected with this virus with no effective cure but the new medicine is about 98% effective in eradicating the virus and curing those infected for decades.

Yup special issuance for life probably

It sounds like your friend had HCV (Hepatitis C) and was cured with Harvoni from the clues you left in your description. The FAA aeromedical division just put out more lax guidelines allowing pilots to fly while going through the treatment, along with return to duty guidelines for pilots that stopped flying while in treatment. I get email blasts from AMAS/leftseat regularly and remember reading this back in August or September. I also own stock in Gilead Science, so I keep up to date on all things Harvoni lol.

Bottom line: your friend will get his 1st class back.

It sounds like your friend had HCV (Hepatitis C) and was cured with Harvoni from the clues you left in your description. The FAA aeromedical division just put out more lax guidelines allowing pilots to fly while going through the treatment, along with return to duty guidelines for pilots that stopped flying while in treatment. I get email blasts from AMAS/leftseat regularly and remember reading this back in August or September. I also own stock in Gilead Science, so I keep up to date on all things Harvoni lol.

Bottom line: your friend will get his 1st class back.

Yes you are correct about the medicine and medical condition.

He has his medical back now but unfortunately, as he was sent a certified letter by the FAA saying his medical was denied 9 months after it had been issued and required him to send in his medical certificate at that time, he now must answer "YES" to question 13 "Has your medical ever been denied, suspended, or revoked?" for all future medicals it would seem.

I guess his concern is could that effect his future employment opportunities?

Thanks

Back