Spartan School of Aeronautics

Anyone who goes to Spartan school aeronuatics know of any student who graduated from sunny hills high school on SO CAL 2003 or 2004?????

Anyone thinking of going to Spartan should run away. You spend more time filing weather no-gos than flying. To many students per instructor. All attention seems to go to the A&P school there. If being a mech is what you want, its a good school. The flight school gets the short end. On a positive note, the Dawn Patrols are very cool.

[ QUOTE ]
On a positive note, the Dawn Patrols are very cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although they may be cool, my opinion of them is distressing. I found them to be moderately dangerous with 16 or so a/c going into whatever field for the fly in. When I went about 5 years ago everyone entered the traffic pattern in the wrong direction. Hmmm. That's not good when you have 16 CFI's all following blindly because they were too tired or didn't bother to look at the AFD. They were just lucky everyone else was out of the pattern.

They stressed getting there over safety (see Get there itis in any Jepp book
smile.gif
)

Watch out for Spartan.

Good Olde Spartan!!

Now that I am more knowledgable about this industry. I would not go to Spartan. Anyone can PM me if needed. But I gotta say, Tulsa is behind California by about 10 years. At least this is how it was in 1992! (Even the houseflies were slow). But there are SOME nice gullable women there.

Went to Spartan and gave them a LOT of my money. The recruiters lie, the Chinese students have priority over the domestic students (when I left there this spring it was well over half Chinese students--and increasing), the maintenance is so-so. The instructors there received memos telling them that they should stretch out the lessons (I saw the memo). I can count on three fingers the people I knew that finished up their training in the appropriate time. The staff is, for the most part, rude and at times unprofessional (includes about half the instructors). This school is circling the drain fast.
On the plus side, I met my wife in Tulsa.

Save your money and go elsewhere.

For what it's worth, my current instructor here at Monarch began his training at Spartan and he told me he hated it.

He said that he paid 15,000 for his PPL alone before saying "screw it" and moving down to Dallas where he finished his ratings here at Monarch. Plus, Tulsa is not exactly the greatest place on earth for many people. My fiance is from there, and here family still lives there.

I cringe everytime I have to make the trip...but some people like it. Oh, and my Instructor said that on top of all that he had his flight bag stolen out of his truck while up at Spartan! Headphones, logbook, equipment...all gone! He spent 1 month going through all his receipts filling in a new logbook!

I would say be careful with Spartan. While I don't have personal experience with them I know many who do, and I have yet to hear a complete satisfied story.

Yes be careful of Spartan. I thought it was one of three flight schools in existence. Boy was I a naive high school graduate. When I talked with the advisor, before I enrolled, I adamantly told her that I wanted to go into the flight school. She said sure no problem but the popular option was to enroll in their technical school, get a job, then enroll in flight school. I said I wanted the flight school not technical school. When I attended, I was enrolled in the tech school. I pulled out one month after. And the apartments that the school set me uo with sucked. Both my roommates car and my car were broken into within that month. I had a bad experience as did other students who went there with me.

Golden Flyer said:
How much is it for a bachelors degree and go from private to commercial. multi-engine/ifr at SSA?

While they have excellent flight training...all you need to know is that you can get equal quality of training elsewhere for cheaper...I don't recommend it.
-Jay
A Recent Spartan Grad

Back