SpaceX plans to send two people around the Moon in late 2018

Will the Dragon 2 capsule even have the capability to be "flown" conventionally if the automated systems fail to the extent necessary that a highly-experienced astronaut would need to step in and save the day?

This sounds amazing but I think the whole lack of a crew would stop me. I'm all for taking risks but not so much the helplessness of something going wrong and having no clue what to do about it. No way they can train these passengers to the level of astronaut in the next year or so.

I don't think they are planning to. Technology has evolved far enough that they don't really need to.

:tinfoil:

image.jpg

Sure they can. Remember how NASA trained their first astronauts? The furry ones?

Push this button when that light goes red, get a banana. Good boy (pat on head, scratch under the chin). Now, here's the next lesson.
Hell for a banana, a pat on the head, and a chin scratch, I'll go!!

Seriously, I would hop on board this thing in a heartbeat if given the chance....

NASA's first manned Orion mission is actually planned to be the farthest man has ever traveled. It will mimic Apollo 8 and SpaceX's missions, but take a wider path around the moon, going further out than we have ever traveled before. First is the test flight of the SLS and Orion together, which is planned for 2018. Then it'll be their first manned Orion and SLS mission in 2022.

It's been NASA's plan for a while to have private companies take over supplying the ISS and performing most of the low Earth orbit work. That frees up the agency to work on launching into deep space like the planned asteroid and Mars missions

Hopefully they call it something other than Ranger 3...

Back